closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DAB Radio: dumb question and recommendations?

DAB Radio: dumb question and recommendations?

I've finally entered the 21st century and got a car with DAB radio. I've been waiting for this mainly to listen to Radio 6 but just sometimes I'd like to listen to something else.

Flicking through the other available stations I haven't found much that I fancy listening to.

Years ago we used to have a DAB radio in the kitchen and I remember being able to listen to interesting channels but can't remember which.

So... dumb question... Are all the stations available on all devices wherever I am?

And recommendations... Obviously it depends on your tastes matching my tastes but my tastes can be quite wide so which stations should I be trying?

Simon Mayo and the gang on greatest hits radio 4-7pm. Great fun and good music

Blog Entries
    Radio 4 Extra has some good (old) comedy series

z

DAB stations are bundled together into 'channels' called multiplexes. You may need to tune your radio to a different multiplex to see additional stations.

Common multiplexes are 'BBC National' and 'Digital One National' - you should see these in your station list somewhere. This PDF lists all multiplexes and stations: http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/DAB_Multiplexes.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    So... dumb question... Are all the stations available on all devices wherever I am?
    Simple answer is "no". Just like with AM and FM broadcasts, it will depend on where you are, the quality of your receiver, and how strong the signal is from the transmitter at that point.

Much broadcasting is also local in nature - for example, I cannot receive BBC Radio Leeds in Hampshire.

Also, I'm sorry to say that DAB is obsolete - it is being replaced by DAB+ for broadcast, and by internet radio (where all stations are generally available on all devices) for most use cases.

Craftsman
    In my car main ones I listen to are talksport, 5 live and if I fancy a bit of music radio x.

I call mine the “JazzFM box”. No prizes for guessing why. Apparently other stations are available but I’ve never explored any further.

Times Radio, Scala.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

You only need two presets on your DAB - R4 and R6.

Master
    Our car one is stuck on Classic FM as that is the wife's favourite

I’ve had a few cars with DAB now and - at least in North Norfolk - it’s next to useless and I listen to FM as DAB cuts out all the time. It is better than it was a couple of years ago but I can’t get many stations and all but one or two are very spotty.

That’s my experience too. I stick to FM and AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve had a few cars with DAB now and - at least in North Norfolk - it’s next to useless and I listen to FM as DAB cuts out all the time. It is better than it was a couple of years ago but I can’t get many stations and all but one or two are very spotty.

Master
    It works well in NW Leics. I use it mainly for 6 Music and 5 Live.

Master
    Remember when DAB was going to sweep all before it? Another con.

Master
    DAB+ is gradually phasing in now anyway which uses a newer codec. Tbh we've driven London to Newcastle, London to Leeds, to the Midlands, to the South Coast, to north Wales, to Cornwall, Devon and Dorset and it just works with a DAB national channel. The car system maybe seamlessly be switching between DAB and FM but there's no sign of the signal breaking up.

I find it either has great reception and sounds fantastic, or there’s no reception at all. In a car - certainly where I live - this results in an intermittent signal which makes most stations unlistenable. It also seems very susceptible to the weather. In comparison FM just works!

Exactly this. FM always worked whereas I find most DAB stations in the car to be unlistenable.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I find it either has great reception and sounds fantastic, or there’s no reception at all. In a car - certainly where I live - this results in an intermittent signal which makes most stations unlistenable. It also seems very susceptible to the weather. In comparison FM just works!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    DAB+ is gradually phasing in now anyway which uses a newer codec. Tbh we've driven London to Newcastle, London to Leeds, to the Midlands, to the South Coast, to north Wales, to Cornwall, Devon and Dorset and it just works with a DAB national channel. The car system maybe seamlessly be switching between DAB and FM but there's no sign of the signal breaking up.
    You'd notice when the system substitutes FM for DAB, because they won't be in sync. FM is very nearly real time whereas DAB is buffered. So in practice when DAB cuts out and FM cuts in, you jump ahead maybe 30 seconds. By the same token when FM switches back to DAB, you get the last 30 or so seconds repeated.

Happened a few times on a road trip in Scotland. Here in the midlands, DAB just works flawlessly all the time, at least for 6 Music, R2 and 5 Live. Obviously the quality of the equipment and (especially) the effectiveness of the antenna have a lot to do with it.

I like to listen to 70's & 80's music so I usually have 'Boom Radio' on. Sometimes Chill music or 'Smooth Relax'.
    Like most genres except C&W.
    Not a lover of bang & tizz either 😁

Thanks all for some helpful DAB education and some useful stations recommendations.
    I think what I need to do - one day when I'm not in a rush - is sit in the car and scroll through a few of the recommendations and add them to presets rather that trying to swipe my way to something interesting while driving.

6music on dab
    and radio x on dab + ( has chris moyles on in the morning until 10am ex R1)

Radio x can be had on fm around greater manchester i think its 97.7 FM if you dont have dab +

Also on dab is "xcess manchester" which is in a similar vain to radio x.