closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Christmas doesn't have to be all Turkey and Tinsel..

Christmas doesn't have to be all Turkey and Tinsel..

Its no secret amongst my family that I am not a big fan of Christmas.

So this year, we ( read I ) decided to minimise presents and the usual trappings ( read expense ) and spend the money and time a different way.

So we drove to the French Alps, it was not without its trials and tribulations, narrowly dodging the Chunnel Strike, leaving my backpack ( with van keys ) down at Les Arcs 1600, and only realising when we were at the top of the Trans Arc at 15.40...that was a mad dash on a Snowboard, made even trickier as it was Saturday, and everyone arrives Saturday so the slopes were chocker!

It was still there, still relaxing on the back of the chair, where I had been doing the same some 4hrs earlier enjoying my Expresso.
    And I made it back to the family just as they were shutting the lift, expecting a Heroes welcome, but to be met with a stern look and a dressing down for being so stupid.!!
    Oh well, I wasn't too disheartened, it was probably the best 40mins on my board I had had all week.

Fondue for Christmas lunch, enjoying Blue Skies for the most part, and as we travelled back on the 31st, I did not have to endure New Years Eve either.
    And being it a Sunday, no traffic on the way home.

We left at 08.00, and were back home at 21.18. Pretty good going

I think we might do the same next year, I am happy to swap my Sprouts and a rendition of Auld Lang Syne for the slopes.

Bah Humbug!

Sounds like you had a great time Keith, and kept the tinsel and first footing at bay!

I learned to ski at Les Arc about 35 years ago, it was a cracking resort and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a pretty good Christmas to me, Keith. I'd definitely look to do the same next year!

But there has to be at least some tinsels:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0BavX7NFVg/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Its no secret amongst my family that I am not a big fan of Christmas.

So this year, we ( read I ) decided to minimise presents and the usual trappings ( read expense ) and spend the money and time a different way.

So we drove to the French Alps, it was not without its trials and tribulations, narrowly dodging the Chunnel Strike, leaving my backpack ( with van keys ) down at Les Arcs 1600, and only realising when we were at the top of the Trans Arc at 15.40...that was a mad dash on a Snowboard, made even trickier as it was Saturday, and everyone arrives Saturday so the slopes were chocker!

It was still there, still relaxing on the back of the chair, where I had been doing the same some 4hrs earlier enjoying my Expresso.
    And I made it back to the family just as they were shutting the lift, expecting a Heroes welcome, but to be met with a stern look and a dressing down for being so stupid.!!
    Oh well, I wasn't too disheartened, it was probably the best 40mins on my board I had had all week.

Fondue for Christmas lunch, enjoying Blue Skies for the most part, and as we travelled back on the 31st, I did not have to endure New Years Eve either.
    And being it a Sunday, no traffic on the way home.

We left at 08.00, and were back home at 21.18. Pretty good going

I think we might do the same next year, I am happy to swap my Sprouts and a rendition of Auld Lang Syne for the slopes.

Bah Humbug!

Power to you and I hope you had a really great time! This year we just did not fancy a normal Christmas working our asses off looking after visitors and we took ourselves off to the hotel Annabelle in Paphos for Christmas and we had a great time, different but great! Sitting on the balcony on Christmas morning in the warm sunshine felt weird but we thoroughly enjoyed it, as we did just eating good food with no cooking or clearing up! The temptation to do it again next Christmas is strong!

Master
    Sounds a great way to spend time. I had 25 days off from my work and it rained for 20, same last year. We have vowed its Airbus for us next year. the whole christmas thing is ruined , i liken it to a picture of a nest full of expectant chicks, all shouting there gobs off and hanging out for a gift.

I often went to Plan Pesey when in Uni (a friend had a chalet there), from which you can join the Arcs slopes. Nice domaine if you like skying on well prepared motorway slopes but the return to Pesey was between the pines.
    I prefer the Pyrénées personally but the Alps are more likely to guarantee a skying holiday.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    We went to Istanbul where obviously there are few signs of Christmas. Wall to wall sunshine and 16C. We were a bit lucky with the weather though, can be very cold at that time of year.