closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats your first and main criteria when buying a new watch ?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why do you see 100 metres WR as essential? I’m interested to hear the logic behind this.
    I'm amazed you of all people are asking that question! Surely you're aware - for all the claims of watertightness to multifathom depths - that there is often a disjunct between that nominal figure and recommended usage according to many manufacturers? So extreme is this, that the manual for a 50m rated watch I briefly owned by "a major Japanese manufacturer" advised me that I should remove it in the shower! They are very likely just covering their arses, but it hardly inspires confidence.

There are other factors beyond immersion - heat, extreme cold, soaps, surfactants, solvents, acids, alkalis, pollutants, chemicals, salt, sweat, &c &c can all make a nonsense of some kinds of sealing and you can multiply that by time and neglect! And what of things like power-washers and dental water-picks for example? Localised pressure can be pretty intense...

Personally: the reason, as should be obvious from that list, is I like tool watches - watches that are tougher than I am, preferably overengineered to Brunellian levels. Overspecified? Gimme! GIMME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I'm amazed you of all people are asking that question! Surely you're aware - for all the claims of watertightness to multifathom depths - that there is often a disjunct between that nominal figure and recommended usage according to many manufacturers? So extreme is this, that the manual for a 50m rated watch I briefly owned by "a major Japanese manufacturer" advised me that I should remove it in the shower! They are very likely just covering their arses, but it hardly inspires confidence.

There are other factors beyond immersion - heat, extreme cold, soaps, surfactants, solvents, acids, alkalis, pollutants, chemicals, salt, sweat, &c &c can all make a nonsense of some kinds of sealing and you can multiply that by time and neglect! And what of things like power-washers and dental water-picks for example? Localised pressure can be pretty intense...

Personally: the reason, as should be obvious from that list, is I like tool watches - watches that are tougher than I am, preferably overengineered to Brunellian levels. Overspecified? Gimme! GIMME!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Id probably be absolutely fine with a watch with an absolutely guaranteed water proof rating of 25m-50m, but as so many 30m-50m watches have been sold as not suitable for anything other than washes the dishes with; with lots of actual or anecdotal evidence of watches such as the old model Speedmaster leaking from a trip to the sea or local swimming pools. That and my old local AD having watches returned that leaked on a regular basis, then having a 100m minimum as one many criteria simply helps ease the way in which we narrow down new purchases.
    Very fair points but if the watch I have on has a rating of less than 100m and it’s likely to get wet, I just take it off.

Ditto leather and suede straps. I buy those quite often.

I may lead a very sedate life but I can’t think of the last time I had to get my wrists wet at a moment’s notice.

I’m being facetious of course, but it is an odd criteria to set for ALL watch purchases, particularly for anyone with a collection of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Very fair points but if the watch I have on has a rating of less than 100m and it’s likely to get wet, I just take it off.

Ditto leather and suede straps. I buy those quite often.

I may lead a very sedate life but I can’t think of the last time I had to get my wrists wet at a moment’s notice.

I’m being facetious of course, but it is an odd criteria to set for ALL watch purchases, particularly for anyone with a collection of watches.

The criteria I enumerated/got-carried-away-with are ideals - as I noted, no watch that combines them all actually exists!

They are also what I just plain-old Like to wear.

And guilty - I already own watches that don't satisfy all - or even most - of those criteria: though they hardly ever get worn!

I walk two large, boisterous dogs daily (and hose them down afterwards as needs must...), have more garden than I can keep on top of, have 3 acres of riverside paddock I have to maintain, do all the housework and cooking, wash the cars, undertake DIY on our old and crumbling brickpile of a home, in my 'spare' time am up to the elbow inside assorted electronic devices, and am - most-of-all - a clumsy sod. All motivate me to seek-out what are usually described as 'tool' watches - an apt term at multiple levels...

Master
    Usually:
    - It's Christmas (in the next six months or so)
    - There's some work I'm really supposed to be doing

Master
    Do I like the look of it

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I can read it (+2)
    I can afford to lose it with grace and a shrug whilst crawling home from a dubious night out.
    I don't feel the need to quote specification/history/version - (neither does the dial) to a stranger but know it's the shizzle and those in the know know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Do I like it, if so initiate the buying protocol.
    Love that!

Ok, what is the buying protocol (for you)?