closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maldives it is Paradise

Master
    Blog Entries

Maldives it is Paradise

Arrived in the Maldives yesterday, here till Monday morning then fly off to Singapore to pick our Cruise up on Tuesday. This place is undeniably beautiful, the marine life while snorkelling is breathtaking. A little black tip shark swam past me it’s was so awesome I nearly wet my pants. Anyone else been.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Arrived in the Maldives yesterday, here till Monday morning then fly off to Singapore to pick our Cruise up on Tuesday. This place is undeniably beautiful, the marine life while snorkelling is breathtaking. A little black tip shark swam past me it’s was so awesome I nearly wet my pants. Anyone else been.
    Went a few years ago to Thudufushi (South Atoll) and loved it - did a few scuba dives and it was just amazing. Spent 2 weeks in bare feet on white/pink sand eating nice food in paradise.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    I haven't but a friend and his wife went there a couple of times. He studied Biology and is swept off his feet by the flora and fauna

Can you PM me some details (Cruise company etc). The same friend I mentioned is having a discussion with his wife about their next holiday. He wants to Kathmandu, she wants to go on (another) cruise. Perhaps your Maladives/Cruise combo is something they didn't think about.

Wife and I have been to Constance Moofushi twice, and yep, even “paradise on earth” somehow didn’t seem to do it justice, and I can only describe the colours as “high definition”, almost as if we hadn’t seen the sea, the sky or even the clouds until we’d seen them in the Maldives.

Only thing is it makes anywhere else that go now seem almost bland and I simply can’t afford Moofushi every year!

Master
    100% agree, have stayed at Cinnamon Hakuraa a couple of times absolutely breathtaking- one of the highlights is the seaplane journey in, stunning journey over the Indian Ocean then you spot a little speck in the distance which your island….. anyone thinking about the Maldives strongly recommend plane rather than boat transfer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    100% agree, have stayed at Cinnamon Hakuraa a couple of times absolutely breathtaking- one of the highlights is the seaplane journey in, stunning journey over the Indian Ocean then you spot a little speck in the distance which your island….. anyone thinking about the Maldives strongly recommend plane rather than boat transfer.
    The plane was not an option to the island we are on which is the furthest South from Male, the only thing I will say it was an adventure, 45 miles an hour in a not so calm sea.

Master
    I've thought about it a few times and a few sets of friends have gone. To be honest I've been put off to an extent as snorkeling, eating and lying on a beach is all they've told me they've done.

Is there anything else to do?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I haven't but a friend and his wife went there a couple of times. He studied Biology and is swept off his feet by the flora and fauna

Can you PM me some details (Cruise company etc). The same friend I mentioned is having a discussion with his wife about their next holiday. He wants to Kathmandu, she wants to go on (another) cruise. Perhaps your Maladives/Cruise combo is something they didn't think about.
    Hi Menno
    We booked with Imagine Cruises in the UK. This holiday consists of flights via Dubai to Maldives's, we are here for five nights all inclusive. We fly from Male to Singapore where we have one night stay in the Pan Pacific 5 star hotel inc breakfast. On Tuesday we are transferred to the Celebrity Millennium ship for twelve nights AI cruise Thailand Malaysia and Indonesia. We then finish in Bali where we have six nights AI before our flights home again via Dubai.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I've thought about it a few times and a few sets of friends have gone. To be honest I've been put off to an extent as snorkeling, eating and lying on a beach is all they've told me they've done.

Not really as you are resort based with nothing else on the three islands we are on. We chose this holiday simply because we thought 5 nights would be sufficient, and the rest of the holiday day is what we love to do ie cruising.

We are on Haru Haru island
    Last edited by hilly10; 11th January 2024 at 20:52.

Blog Entries
    Hi Menno
    We booked with Imagine Cruises in the UK. This holiday consists of flights via Dubai to Maldives's, we are here for five nights all inclusive. We fly from Male to Singapore where we have one night stay in the Pan Pacific 5 star hotel inc breakfast. On Tuesday we are transferred to the Celebrity Millennium ship for twelve nights AI cruise Thailand Malaysia and Indonesia. We then finish in Bali where we have six nights AI before our flights home again via Dubai.
    Thanks I will forward this to my mate Marco. He will love this!
    Last edited by thieuster; 11th January 2024 at 20:54.

Master
    Not really as you are resort based with nothing else on the three islands we are on. We chose this holiday simply because we thought 5 nights would be sufficient, and the rest of the holiday day is what we love to do ie cruising.

We are on Haru Haru island
    Fair enough, cheers

I consider myself fortunate to have been twice: Mirihi and Medhufushi, water villas on both occasions. It's somewhere I recommend everyone to visit at least once in their lives if they possibly can. I'm not one for lying in the sun but the diving, kayaking, sailing (Medhufushi had open kayaks and two hobie cats on the beach for guest to use as they wished, unfortunately there was never enough wind to make use of the hobie cats). You are simply forced to chill. The buffet food is outstanding and whilst we did once book a romantic dinner on the beach we both agreed that it was a waste as our appetites were so supressed in the heat.

We went to Lux South Ari Atoll last November and its a stunning location and an amazing holiday. From the sea plane from Male and the view of the islands and Indian Ocean to having the sea underneath you on one of the sea villas its really a must do experience. Lots of fish and the odd shark to add interest to the snorkelling, great chefs and beautiful places to eat anywhere on the island. The staff worked so hard to keep the guests happy and the ones we spoke to seemed lovely people. We often had massive stretches of beach to ourselves, it does feel at times like your own private island!

The light and colours are astonishing..

Last edited by vulcangascompany; 11th January 2024 at 21:22.

Craftsman
    Went for my honeymoon and on day 2 got ill

By day 3 I was in the hospital having an emergency appendectomy with it having ruptured

The hospital is where you really see how far behind the U.K. it is, I had 10 horrible days there with my wife sleeping on a wooden bench beside me and caring for me completely as the nurses only administer medication and don’t do any caring at all

Tbh I didn’t really even enjoy the first day but it was my wife’s choice, I prefer to be busy. Plus my memory is clearly tainted

I wouldn’t go back even if somebody else paid for it

Grand Master
    How do you think the shark felt when confronted with you?....bet it swam off sharpish

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Went for my honeymoon and on day 2 got ill

By day 3 I was in the hospital having an emergency appendectomy with it having ruptured

The hospital is where you really see how far behind the U.K. it is, I had 10 horrible days there with my wife sleeping on a wooden bench beside me and caring for me completely as the nurses only administer medication and don’t do any caring at all

Tbh I didn’t really even enjoy the first day but it was my wife’s choice, I prefer to be busy. Plus my memory is clearly tainted

I wouldn’t go back even if somebody else paid for it
    Sorry to read this, but it's not really a reflection of the Maldives per se.

Went to the Lux and enjoyed it so much we went again. Lux hospitality is the best I’ve ever experienced , the staff were so accommodating. Food was incredible , the second time I went they had built east market which was a far east food experience which was stunning . Hope to go back one day soon .

Enjoy! Hope you have a great time, enjoy the beautiful surroundings, life can be shit sometimes but the highs outweigh the lows and you've got to appreciate them when you get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It is if you get seriously ill there. I wonder how much a Maldives nurse earns relative to the loaded foreign tourists who chip up and keep her busy?

Craftsman
    I get what you are saying but I think it shows what is actually like. It’s a developing country really with significantly lower healthcare and standards of living for most people there

You don’t really see this on the island resorts although you get some sense of it when you can see how much a relatively modest $20 tip means to the waiter for example

It has also made me look at standards of healthcare in destinations since which I never really did before

Heading there this year, can’t wait.

Maldives it is Paradise

Had a week at the Conrad/Hilton resort whilst on honeymoon and was one of the most magical and beautiful places on Earth. We wish we had stayed for longer but we were travelling in Northern Thailand for the other 2 weeks of our honeymoon.

Also I have spent a week on a scuba diving live aboard holiday. Amazing diving and beautiful deserted islands but the boat was not as luxurious as the resorts of course.

The locals are very poor and they do live in very poor conditions especially on the islands. Male makes them look more developed than they really are! So tip well!
    Last edited by paw3001; 11th January 2024 at 23:26.

Craftsman
    Loved it. We went about 30 years ago and there were only 6 resort islands. Stayed on Kurumba. The scuba diving was fantastic, although some of the currents were a bit too fierce for my liking.

Possibly have a thought eh,

https://sites.manchester.ac.uk/every...ountry%20faces.

otherwise it'll be Paradise Lost for residents and holiday makers, in quite likely only a couple of decades.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th January 2024 at 09:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Possibly have a thought eh,

https://sites.manchester.ac.uk/every...ountry%20faces.

otherwise it'll be Paradise Lost for residents and holiday makers, in quite likely only a couple of decades.
    Thanks for the cheery reality check when the thread was celebrating the beauty.

Last time I looked the climate crisis affects us all and so I hope you are doing your bit with not using Air con or heating the pool!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My dad had a year out there for free,it wasnt paradise after a week and the novelty wore of.

I seem to remember he said they changed shirts at least 3 times a day.

There was very little to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Gan

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

Last time I looked the climate crisis affects us all and so I hope you are doing your bit with not using Air con or heating the pool!
    Heating the pool, r u mad, get's up to 30 c plus naturally in July/ August, we close over winter as it's over a 100 thousand litres, just doesn't make economic sense, the wife and nipper wouldn't get in without wetsuits unless it 27/28 c plus and I sea swim anyway...RE AC about 3 months and only in the bedrooms, ceiling fans downstairs and we live mostly outside in the porch by the pool summers.
    No long haul flight for me last year either and I'm not a big buyer, consumer of stuff, so I'd hope somewhat lower footprint there.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th January 2024 at 10:13.

Master

It does, but it affects some more than others.

It does look like a beautiful place, but horrifying to think it will be under water this century if things play out like we think.

We went for 10 days for my 40th, wife and 2 young kids (7 and 6) to the Sun Siyam Olhuvei and it was great. The house reef was nice, the reef was grey in places as pollution has killed some of it off. We swam with turtles on the first day, one day came across a group of reef sharks, about 5-6 sharks around 5 foot and the kids loved all the experiences. We took an underwater camera and got some great footage. The hotel was well suited for kids which is the main reason we choose it.

The hotel was nice, and it really was paradise, also did not cost that much, we paid Ł8k for a 10 day, all inclusive, beach villa with a pool. This was a lot for us but we decided it was worth it for my 40th.

Trips and things to do were very expensive, with a larger budget we could have done loads more, whale shark trips etc, we did a sunset dolphin cruise and that was great.

With a small budget there isn't a lot to do apart from the pool and beach, but it was still an amazing experience.

I would go back again, just need to make some more money first!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

It does look like a beautiful place, but horrifying to think it will be under water this century if things play out like we think.
    This was in the media when I first went in 1984, the area was predicted to loose land every year etc., etc. - most of it is still there I believe.

Point to note, it also (miraculously) mostly survived the tsunami.

Of course it's fragile, it's part of it's beauty.

This was in the media when I first went in 1984, the area was predicted to loose land every year etc., etc. - most of it is still there I believe.

I'm no expert but it sounds like they've been hoovering sand up of the sea floor and pumping onto the beaches with consequent damage to the fragile marine habitat...

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I'm no expert but it sounds like they've been hoovering sand up of the sea floor and pumping onto the beaches with consequent damage to the fragile marine habitat...
    But you are an expert - always hoovering up the joy/fun and spreading misery wherever you can......

https://blogs.worldbank.org/endpover...25%20literacy.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 12th January 2024 at 10:21.

But you are an expert - always hoovering up the joy/fun and spreading misery wherever you can.
    Chris the place is sinking/ eroding, whilst drowning in plastic waste, I believe these are COP topics so hardly not a problem, ''still mostly there'' as you've speculated. honestly if you're that impacted by some plonker on the internet offering an alternate albeit fact based pov, maybe you need better, more robust, sustainable fun sources...be happy, irrespective of what others say/ write but don't you seek to silence people...heck fwiw I made Daddel laugh earlier on his way to work!

Join the world bank, borrow from the world bank...bloody impressive literacy level.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th January 2024 at 10:31.

Master

Islands can of course survive a one off event like a tsunami, but they won’t survive rising sea levels, I don’t think that’s even up for discussion.

Yes, it’s taking time, but the Maldives and some other island chains will be impacted even more dramatically in the next few decades before probably disappearing altogether.

Us humans are expert at can kicking though.

I’d love to go and see the place, just looking at the pictures on this thread does that, and I do like to support poor economies with my ‘Western dollar’, but that would probably mean staying away from the resort islands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Better get there quick then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Better get there quick then.
    And take your wellies.

I went to Filitheyo a few years back and day 1 was perfect, absolutely stunning, then from day 2 until day 16 it constantly rained and put me off :-(

Also I vaguely remember very large bats coming out at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxyadam View Post
    fruit bats are wonderful. There were loads on Soneva Sushi when we there back in the earliest days of "barefoot luxury". Some wonderful diving (even post the devastating 1998 El Nińo event). Finally saw some manta ray on the last day - which was lucky, as the guy that ran the dive shop had *guaranteed* sightings and stood to lose a few quid in dive fees!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Let me just say there are no plastic bottles anywhere on the resort islands, they were banned quite a few years ago. All transport is battery powered. The locals are aware of the fragility of their islands and really do all they can to keep it above the sea level

Master
    Let me just say there are no plastic bottles anywhere on the resort islands, they were banned quite a few years ago. All transport is battery powered. The locals are aware of the fragility of their islands and really do all they can to keep it above the sea level
    Is it fair to say there are ‘two Maldives’, the resorts and where the majority of the locals live?

https://www.independent.co.uk/climat...-b2082328.html

I’m sure the locals are doing everything they can to keep it above sea level, whatever that means, but I fear it’s the rest of us who need to try and help with that.

Maldives it is Paradise

Never been, and I would happily go for 3-4 days, but given lying around is not my bag, it would probably feel like a luxury prison thereafter.

A sh1t country outside of the resorts.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...ives-1.1898425

Maldives it is Paradise

Seems the Forum has turned into Greta’s fun time place!

You do realise that beauty can be just appreciated. It does not mean that people are unaware of the globe’s climate challenges.

A lot of whataboutism here from the worthy souls!
    Last edited by paw3001; 12th January 2024 at 15:54.

Seems the Forum has turned into Greta’s fun time place!

You do realise that beauty can be appreciated. It doesn’t not mean that people are unaware of the globe’s climate challenges.

A lot of whataboutism here from the worthy souls!
    Beauty is everywhere if you open your eyes. You don't need to fly around the world to appreciate it.

And while some people might be aware of the globe’s climate challenges, it doesn't excuse ignoring them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxyadam View Post
    I went to Filitheyo a few years back and day 1 was perfect, absolutely stunning, then from day 2 until day 16 it constantly rained and put me off :-(

That happened to us when we went to the Lake district.

First day to hot to breathe the rest of the week even the ducks where fed up with getting wet.

Maldives it is Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Beauty is everywhere if you open your eyes. You don't need to fly around the world to appreciate it.

And while some people might be aware of the globe’s climate challenges, it doesn't excuse ignoring them.
    The thread topic is the Maldives and who said anything about ignoring the climate challenges?

Another pointless point from you but I have come to expect that from you to be honest. Maybe time for us to both go on ignore.

The thread topic is the Maldives and who said anything about ignoring the climate challenges?

Another pointless point from you but I have come to expect that from you to be honest. Maybe time for us to both go on ignore.
    I would never put you on ignore, sweetness.

Typical TZ thread drive LOL!.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What's the cycling like there? I'd like to go but I have to get out on a road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

Not really - None of the islands are big and none are setup for tourism, really, other than sitting in a resort.

I did a 10 day diving liveaboard trip and it was amazing - Everywhere we went they said "You might see so-and-so here" and there were loads of them! Manta Rays, Turtles, Sharks, a few Whale Sharks, the usual smaller suspects, we even saw a Marlin, which the dive guide on our boat, who had been there for a few years had never seen before!

BUT, from what we saw, there was nothing to do except admire the scenery (just sea, really) and eat, drink and relax on the islands.

If that's your idea of heaven, I'm sure the Maldives takes some beating, but I wouldn't want to stay on one of the islands for more than a couple of days, personally, I'd get bored in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    What's the cycling like there? I'd like to go but I have to get out on a road bike.
    I think the bigger resort islands take about 10 minutes to walk around

M

PS They have the most incredible huge Fruit Bats on some of the islands! I thought they were amazing, but if anyone doesn't like bats, they'll be your worse nightmare!
    Last edited by snowman; 12th January 2024 at 17:59.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Maldives it is Paradise

It is funny because me and wife are far from the types to enjoy just lazing on the beach. It was the reason we just booked a week there and 2 for exploring Thailand but we found the vibe so relaxed that we were never bored and just enjoyed it. As well as the usual water sports and diving, we picnicked on a deserted island, we visiting a local island, had boat tours, watched the massive fruit bats at night and loved dining on the beach.

In the end, we said we wished we had booked for longer.
    Last edited by paw3001; 12th January 2024 at 18:58.