closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Timehop - watch prices in 2018

Timehop - watch prices in 2018

This one just popped up on my phone. Interesting to see a snapshot of 2018 pricing and worth remembering this is a shop in the Royal Exchange, not SC...

1655 £12.5k
    PAM104 £4.25k
    Speedmaster Moon £3.15k
    AP Offshore £10.95k
    Ceramic Sub £6.65k
    Milgauss £4.75k
    Explorer £3.95k
    Deepsea £7k
    Day-date (gold+diamonds) £5.25k
    Last edited by gunner; 11th January 2024 at 12:03.

Obviously less interesting than I thought.

I find it an interesting photo.

This would have been around the time I bought my last ever Rolex in 2017...a brand new Explorer II from Chronext for £5100...when it was still easy to source sports Rolex as supply was good. Shortly after this, supply dried up and watches became assets to trade for profit/investment. Then the pandemic seemed to make the situation worse. Killed the hobby for me to be honest...having flipped nearly every sports Omega and Rolex, I'm not willing to revisit those watches ever again when they are now up to triple the price.

For example, having owned three Speedmaster Moonwatches and paid £1000 (in 2000), £1400 and ~£1500 (a few years later)...the prospect of an absolutely identical watch for northwards of £4000 does not appeal, even though I like the watch. (£1000 in 2000 when adjusted for inflation is £1800 todays price.)
    Last edited by Christian; 13th January 2024 at 17:16.

I used to walk past that shop most days a few years earlier. Initially looking in the window of the nearby WOS at the almost full range of Rolex Professional models, before checking out the preowned stock a few doors down. Add in a quick visit to WF inside the RE to check out the numerous 5 digit GMT Master 2 at about £4k etc.

They were on their way up by 2018.

Only a few years earlier, I'd considered buying a Rolex Daytona, but I found I really didn't like it...

On reflection, I should have bought it (and the early, all black Cosmonaute I was offered for a few hundred more than my 1967 one) as well!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Timehop - watch prices in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I find it an interesting photo.

This would have been around the time I bought my last ever Rolex in 2017...a brand new Explorer II from Chronext for £5100...when it was still easy to source sports Rolex as supply was good. Shortly after this, supply dried up and watches became assets to trade for profit/investment. Then the pandemic seemed to make the situation worse. Killed the hobby for me to be honest...having flipped nearly every sports Omega and Rolex, I'm not willing to revisit those watches ever again when they are now up to triple the price.

For example, having owned three Speedmaster Moonwatches and paid £1000 (in 2000), £1400 and ~£1500 (a few years later)...the prospect of an absolutely identical watch for northwards of £4000 does not appeal, even though I like the watch. (£1000 in 2000 when adjusted for inflation is £1800 todays price.)
    Snap, except my - now long gone - last Rolex was a brand new 16610 LV for £3100 I believe. Bought out of the window with no waiting list like all the others which must have numbered about 20 over 15 years or so. I think my last Omega was a £1500 hesalite speedmaster. I now have a Tudor BB58 which is being serviced - I haven’t been wearing it since the timekeeping went screwy after 18 months of ownership, and I’m not really hankering for it back if im honest. The prices and the nonsense about availability and exclusivity have killed the big brands dead for me, and I’m not excited about a Swiss watch any more to spend the thousands of pounds required. I flipped loads of them as ultimately the watch wasn’t as exciting as the chase - you can replicate the same buzz by spending just a few £100. I’ll keep the BB58 for old times sake but I don’t need more than one £3000 watch. Now they are starting to reappear in windows and availability is easing, I find I’m just not prepared to spend anywhere near the rrp and as a result I won’t even bother to try one on!
    Last edited by RobDad; 14th January 2024 at 19:43.

I walk past that shop most weeks, good to see that although the prices have risen over the years their window display layout has not changed lol.

Same shop - i took Sept 2019. some of these prices climbed significantly. Batman £16.2k...and skydweller black also over £16k so bubble well and truly underway. Other prices seem pre-bubble, and broadly very similar to todays if i'm not mistaken. Gold Daytona at £19k was a good price though.

Last edited by tz-uk73; 15th January 2024 at 13:10.

Also same shop Dec 21

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Snap, except my - now long gone - last Rolex was a brand new 16610 LV for £3100 I believe. Bought out of the window with no waiting list like all the others which must have numbered about 20 over 15 years or so. I think my last Omega was a £1500 hesalite speedmaster. I now have a Tudor BB58 which is being serviced - I haven’t been wearing it since the timekeeping went screwy after 18 months of ownership, and I’m not really hankering for it back if im honest. The prices and the nonsense about availability and exclusivity have killed the big brands dead for me, and I’m not excited about a Swiss watch any more to spend the thousands of pounds required. I flipped loads of them as ultimately the watch wasn’t as exciting as the chase - you can replicate the same buzz by spending just a few £100. I’ll keep the BB58 for old times sake but I don’t need more than one £3000 watch. Now they are starting to reappear in windows and availability is easing, I find I’m just not prepared to spend anywhere near the rrp and as a result I won’t even bother to try one on!

Hard to disagree!

Same shop in Sept 2019. From your original pic the milguass might have a little way to go yet.