closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The demise of ‘about effing time’.

Master

The demise of ‘about effing time’.

I heard today they have shut up shop due to the lack of support of the YouTube channel and podcast and I am not surprised. It had a lot of promise. A genuine novice watch enthusiast, a watch manufacturer and a watch journalist.

I tried watching it and gave up very quickly. The videos always seemed badly informed given their knowledge, never stuck to topic and were a bit of a shit show. It’s a shame as it should have been a great channel.

Anyone else persevere and watch it?

Never heard of it.

Just had a gander, and not something i'd ever watch. Too noisy and generally chaotic for me.

I’ve made my feelings on Adrian Barker clear on another thread. Never tuned in on account of them, however, a top-gear style bro-show about watches sounds terrible even without him there.

Awful name too.

Craftsman
    tried it once. Just seemed to be three blokes shouting at each other...

Gave up after about 10 min's and never went back.

Craftsman
    Personally I thought it was the best watch related YouTube content and was gutted to see it end.
    Was nice to see some fun injected into the overly serious world of watches.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Master
    I like Adrian Barker, cannot abide the other two. It all seemed to be a sort of Poundland Top Gear effort, lots of shouting and onanistic preening.
    Not surprised it's folded.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’ve made my feelings on Adrian Barker clear on another thread. Never tuned in on account of them, however, a top-gear style bro-show about watches sounds terrible even without him there.

Awful name too.
    Never heard of the channel but with what you describe above that sounds like the type of thing I'd have to be tortured to sit and watch.

Craftsman
    It was a really awful concept. I watched the episode where they rated each others collections, and the chap from Bamford only brought in Bamford watches. Tedious!

Bamford is excruciating to watch.

Master
    I wondered. No videos have appeared on my YouTube feed for ages.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Fair play to Adrian and the guys for giving it a go. Never watched an entire episode but it seemed a bit like Top Gear for watches sort of.

Given their profile, I think the lack of success speaks volumes. Just too transparent as a vehicle for flogging their own stuff.

Bamford being unable to talk about anything he doesn’t sell being the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    I much preferred the content that Adrian produced on his own than the ‘About effing’ drivel. Bamford always interrupting, and the Australian fella’s perpetual puffing about how amazing their show/last episode was. Got tired of it quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    Bamford is excruciating to watch.
    Agreed. seemed to be like a rich guy that just wanted to do something to keep him entertained and decided on modding watches

Journeyman
    Also preferred Adrian as a soloist. Couldn’t get on with them as a trio. Hope he picks his end back up a little more now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve checked it out post demise, I’m not sure I could fine a kind thing to say about Bamford.

I do quite like Adrian’s delivery style on Bark & Jack, and the NATOs I have bought from them are quite the best I have ever had.

D

It was cringeworthy but of course hats off to people that actually do things and take risks in life!

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    Agreed. seemed to be like a rich guy that just wanted to do something to keep him entertained and decided on modding watches
    Plenty of rich guys do nothing at all, and that’s worse!

You guys must really hate The Mad Watch Collector channel 🤣

Master
    Watched it a few times - not impressed.
    I can tolerate Adrian Barker and the Aussie journalist (forgotten his name), but think Bamford's a rich spoilt twat (apologise if my language offends).

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    That guy is a walking diagnoses.

Master
    Listened to the podcast in the car a few times, terrible sound quality and the 3 of them just talking / shouting over each other. As with the majority, gave up and unsubscribed pretty sharpish.

Don't mind Adrian; GB on the other hand, think Klunk summed it up !

Not wishing to divert the thread but anyone listened to Hodinkee's new effort, Ben Clymer presents...? Christ alive, truly awful stuff.

Craftsman
    Almost all these watch channels and live streams are terrible , so many idiots in the watch space

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Tough crowd here. I thought it was ok, would rather have more episodes than none at all.

He has an angle, which is clearly an online persona. Whilst not something I find entertaining, or even tolerable, I don’t imagine he’s a tool off camera.

Master
    I have a YT premium account but steer clear of 99% of watch vlogs and the like because they are all opinion based unless it's to do with the retail market, they are badly informed and I care very little of their opinion. I did see this channel and lumped it in with the rest of them, so I'm not surprised of it's demise as it's a completely oversaturated space.

Podcasts

I listened to the first series and was ok apart from all the swearing and that they just talk over each other. Use to listen to Scottish Watches (up to about 400 episodes) but after a while the relationship between the two presenters just jarred with me. Now I only listen to Fratello podcasts.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Listened to the podcast in the car a few times, terrible sound quality and the 3 of them just talking / shouting over each other. As with the majority, gave up and unsubscribed pretty sharpish.

Don't mind Adrian; GB on the other hand, think Klunk summed it up !

Not wishing to divert the thread but anyone listened to Hodinkee's new effort, Ben Clymer presents...? Christ alive, truly awful stuff.
    I subscribed to the Hodinkee podcast and listened to about 5 minutes of it, they have their heads up their own backsides. The podcast is representative of the decline of Hodinkee. If I visit their site now, they will still be plugging the articles about the anniversary Seamaster and the Cartier Tank Citrine and probably a few ‘famous person spotted wearing expensive watch’ stories, yawn.

I didn’t mind the AFT show but prefer the Fratello outputs, mostly watches with a bit of general chit chat. Just right for a walk with the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
    I listened to the first series and was ok apart from all the swearing and that they just talk over each other. Use to listen to Scottish Watches (up to about 400 episodes) but after a while the relationship between the two presenters just jarred with me. Now I only listen to Fratello podcasts.
    Similarly the only Poscast I’ve stuck with is The Grey Nato, up to 260+ eps & I’ve listened since day 1. Really like the 2 guys and James Stacey is the only reason I read Hodinkee.

Agee on the AET demise, tried the Top Gear approach didn’t work, never watched on YouTube but did probably the 1sr season on podcast.

Adrian I like his style on his solo work & one I do watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You guys must really hate The Mad Watch Collector channel

Is that this guy? Don't like his act at all.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 11th January 2024 at 17:24.

Master
    I really like Not So Obvious Watches / Pete McConvill, he has a good take on things & some interesting analytics. Not seen anything from him for a while but he's had some stuff on Instagram.

Master
    Significant Watches podcast is about the only one I listen to. Yes, it is very pretentious at times but some of the insight you get from Eric Wind can be interesting.

I have to say that, from memory, Penny Elle is the only watch-related channel I follow. I like her a lot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    I believe his father told him he wasn't just walking into the family business and he had to prove he could do it on his own first, so he hasn't done too bad in that respect.

Craftsman
    If you'd asked me a month ago what my two favourite watch channels were on YouTube ... I would have said About Effing Time and The Mad Watch Collector ... LOL :-)

I think the mad watch collector and about effing time/Adrian Barker (as I’ve watched a few more of his solo efforts) are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The mad watch collector comes across as a genuine watch enthusiast, whether it’s a £20 Casio or a big Swiss offering. Snappy if a bit annoying delivery but it’s neither serious or preachy and he’s making an effort to develop his own style.
    The other bunch - tight T shirts and Jeans, designer stubble, lots of narrowed eyes and preening, fawning over expensive watches, a cup of steaming coffee whilst reclining in a designer office - it might as well be cars or gold bars frankly. I saw an episode which was basically ‘we all walk up and down Bond Street trying on expensive halo pieces saying which ones are hardest to buy then meet in our leather padded office and pretend it wasn’t just us walking in and out of shops’ was really nauseating! I’m sure none are horrible human beings but that type of GQ style macho BS around men’s accessories makes me a bit queasy! Won’t miss it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think the mad watch collector and about effing time/Adrian Barker (as I’ve watched a few more of his solo efforts) are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The mad watch collector comes across as a genuine watch enthusiast, whether it’s a £20 Casio or a big Swiss offering. Snappy if a bit annoying delivery but it’s neither serious or preachy and he’s making an effort to develop his own style.
    The other bunch - tight T shirts and Jeans, designer stubble, lots of narrowed eyes and preening, fawning over expensive watches, a cup of steaming coffee whilst reclining in a designer office - it might as well be cars or gold bars frankly. I saw an episode which was basically ‘we all walk up and down Bond Street trying on expensive halo pieces saying which ones are hardest to buy then meet in our leather padded office and pretend it wasn’t just us walking in and out of shops’ was really nauseating! I’m sure none are horrible human beings but that type of GQ style macho BS around men’s accessories makes me a bit queasy! Won’t miss it
    Agree with you on MWC. Remember seeing the first one thinking “WTF ” but have seen a few now and I’m warming to them. The style is unique in this arena and occasionally annoying but I agree, he has a genuine enthusiasm for watches.

Sure I saw him on Geeza Thorpe’s channel a while back and the ‘Mad’ schtick wasn’t in evidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No idea what that is either...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Tough crowd here. I thought it was ok, would rather have more episodes than none at all.
    Agreed. I found it quite entertaining and useful insight into something a bit different and them just trying to inject a bit of fun.

Yes Bamford is a bit of 'ADHD' at times but I'd take this rather that than nothing at all in the space.

To many comments here seems to take too much pleasure in it demise which is a shame.

Craftsman
    Not sad to see it go, watched a few times and just a lot of babbling. Also I really don’t get the point in a watch podcast.

I only ever watched the episodes and didn't find them too bad, may be different if I only listened to them.

I keep getting recommended "Theo and Harris" on YouTube, now that is a vlog/podcast to get triggered by.

Cheers

Ross

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    I only ever watched the episodes and didn't find them too bad, may be different if I only listened to them.

I keep getting recommended "Theo and Harris" on YouTube, now that is a vlog/podcast to get triggered by.

Cheers

Ross
    Yes I've been triggered by their smugness in the past and avoid them at all costs!

Apprentice
    It was a fun idea, but trying to make an entertaining podcast/show about your views on watches and reviewing them blah is inherently boring. That type of content should be educational and available for consumers to research when they need to, rather than trying to make it a show

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post

Cheers

Ross
    Indeed Theo and Harris to me is the definition of hipster watchbro. Supercringe.

But having said that, I'm all for more watch content and good on anyone for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    Indeed Theo and Harris to me is the definition of hipster watchbro. Supercringe.

But having said that, I'm all for more watch content and good on anyone for trying.

Yes, for sure and I’m sure there will be a demographic that enjoy their content. I did end up checking the website out so I suppose it had the desired effect.

Ross

Journeyman
    Apparently its on pause and not ended according to adrian barker on his latest video