closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: sending watch for service Germany

sending watch for service Germany

Hi, first time sending a watch to Germany post Brexit any guidence on customs declaration etc to avoid being stung for the watch value as it enters Germany and then back here? Its a UTS diver so around £2.5k value.
    thanks Keith

Grand Master
    If the watch isn`t under warranty it might make sense to get it serviced or repaired in the UK, thus avoiding the need to return to Germany.

Master
    1 It isn't worth you sending a relatively cheap ("£2.5k") watch to Germany to be serviced. The costs won't add value.

2 However, if you really must, let the UK agent do it.

3 That said, unless the watch is faulty/not keeping time, don't do it anyway.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sending a Nomos to Germany was very stressful,getting it back was a nightmare.I won’t be doing that again.

uts is a tiny engineering company, no uk agents and therefore parts not available apart from direct. Amazing to think a £2.5k watch isnt considered valuable enough by some people - times change.
    Keith

Master
    Ship via Northern Ireland, should avoid potential customs in either direction to/from Germany

Grand Master
    Movement service won't be a problemfor parts, anything case-specific could be, but what is it likely to need if the watch is only a few years old?

Crown, caseback and glass seals using modern materials don't deteriorate like the stuff used in the 70s. I`ve seen the odd case where white plastic (Hytrel ) crystal seals have become brittle, that shouldn't happen if the correct grade of material is used, but that would be picked up by a pressure test.

If you can I would go through a U.K. agent as it becomes the agents problem if there are any issues with delivery etc. You will probably pay more for it like this but worth it for peace of mind etc imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Ship via Northern Ireland, should avoid potential customs in either direction to/from Germany
    How does he do that from Cheshire?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Liverpool to Belfast ferry?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm fairly sure there's members here in NI who would be able to help out, if asked

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Liverpool to Belfast ferry?
    And how does he get it back from Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I'm fairly sure there's members here in NI who would be able to help out, if asked
    True, but a bit of a pain. Brexit just keeps on giving.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Sending a Nomos to Germany was very stressful,getting it back was a nightmare.I won’t be doing that again.
    I had the same experience. The UK partner of the German carrier was really bad. That said, the German carrier wasn't much better. (And I don't think Brexit had anything to do with it.)
    Last edited by Tinker; 12th January 2024 at 01:59.

Master
    It’s a shame that UTS watches so rarely feature here. Mind you, I seem to recall one member here having problems with the service of a watch worked on by Herr Spinner, albeit this was many years ago and certainly long before Brexit.

Isn't it only an ETA 2824 ? just send it to us https://ajwsl.co.uk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I had the same experience. The UK partner of the German carrier was really bad. That said, the German carrier wasn't much better. (And I don't think Brexit had anything to do with it.)
    On the outward journey the watch spent seven weeks in Dutch customs.Nomos sorted the problem ,returned it to the dealer in Holland,they miss lables the goods and a long battle with the courier company who wanted £280.00 impost fees.Took a lot of work to get the fees lifted.I was so peed off by the end I sold the three German watches.

I tried to get my German dive computer fixed.

The manufacturer were great when it had a problem before, but warned me the German customs were a nightmare with stuff from the UK.

I filled in all the correct forms when I posted it, but 8 weeks later it arrived back with me with loads of German customs stickers all over it, saying it was incorrectly documented.

Seems the Germans are making us suffer for Brexit as well.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Any ideas where to send a Nomos if not to Germany then?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

There are at least (I don't think the website is up to date) ten Nomos ADs in the UK, all of whom should be able to handle warranty issues or repairs for customers.
    ______

​Jim.

Journeyman
    Nobody’s specifically mentioned Sinn yet but since I happen to have spoken to them a while back and for future reference, Sinn’s UK agents are TWR Watch Repairs (https://www.twrwatchrepairs.co.uk). I haven’t had them do a service as yet but they were very helpful when ordering me some bits and said if you have something that needs to go back to Frankfurt, you can send it to them and they will deal with the international shipping and return.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    Any ideas where to send a Nomos if not to Germany then?

When I enquired about warranty repairs with Nomos ,they told me to return it to the suppling dealer .

Send it by UPS/DHL whichever their preferred method and fly there(Dresden?) to collect in person when it's ready.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    When I enquired about warranty repairs with Nomos ,they told me to return it to the suppling dealer .
    Bad news for me then as Wempe closed their UK branch. Anyway will try the local independent Nomos dealer.