closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Induction Hobs

Induction Hobs

So the new kitchen is ordered and we moving from gas hob to an Induction

We have had Meyer Circulon pans for 30 years and they have been fantastic.

Now we have to start afresh with pans that will work on the induction

Any recommendations for quality pans and also best place to buy them

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Circulon! Obvious answer really!

I pick up some great bargains on eBay of all places when it comes to Circulon

Master
    Another vote for circulon :)

Master
    https://scanpanuk.co.uk/collections/scanpan-ctx

I went for these, amazing quality.

Not cheap and not light but the best pans I’ve used.

Master
    A piece of advice if you’re new to induction. They heat up very quickly and can cause fry pans to warp so you need to let them pan come up to speed slowly not full on straight away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    A piece of advice if you’re new to induction. They heat up very quickly...
    I tried to explain this to my MIL on Xmas day, she shooed me away and promptly burnt the cream intended for the crumble

I had a quiet chuckle

Master

Induction Hobs

A piece of advice if you’re new to induction. They heat up very quickly and can cause fry pans to warp so you need to let them pan come up to speed slowly not full on straight away.
    Another piece of advice if chef is prone to heating so much that the pan boils over, put a piece of kitchen roll between the hob and the pan to soak up any spills.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 8th January 2024 at 10:18.

We had our kitchen replaced last summer and moved to induction, and it's brilliant. My wife bought me a set of Hexclad pans for my birthday. They're excellent.

I've not tried the full induction hob at my sister's, but I have one of those portable, single units and it ain't great for steaks.

It heats up nicely to around 300c cast iron skillet temperature, but you slap on the steak, and the damn thing switches off to cool down before coming back up to temp minutes later.

Handy for some things, but I'd try for a half gas / half induction mix.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I've not tried the full induction hob at my sister's, but I have one of those portable, single units and it ain't great for steaks.

It heats up nicely to around 300c cast iron skillet temperature, but you slap on the steak, and the damn thing switches off to cool down before coming back up to temp minutes later.

It will have a thermal cut out to prevent over heating. Induction can get extremely hot and with a cast iron pan it is likely to have thermal cut off. Puts a few drops of oil in and dial the heat to smoking point and no need to go above there.

Master

Induction Hobs

Also, when you’ve seared the steak on one side you need to dial down the heat when you turn it over as when you add the butter it will burn instantly with an over heated cast pan.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 8th January 2024 at 10:31. Reason: Bloody typos

Also, when you’ve seated the steak on one side you need to dial down the get when you turn it over as when you add the butter it will burn instantly with an over heated cast pan.
    I use avovado oil usually, but don't get long enough on that high temp to even finish one side. How long do you reckon you can keep a skillet at 300c on a main induction hob?

I use an IR thermometor to constantly check the temp.

Master
    I use avovado oil usually, but don't get long enough on that high temp to even finish one side. How long do you reckon you can keep a skillet at 300c on a main induction hob?

I suspect this would vary by the hob design as the commercial ones have extractor fan underneath that enable sustained high temp like 300c.

300c would give a very fast crust, you could probably halve that pretty quickly and use latent heat to do the other side.

Master

I’ve not ever had my Neff 900mm hob turn off when using cast iron on it for steaks. Perhaps the portable ones have a lower trip limit for the overheat. I sear at 250C usually using an IR gun.

Used a full length skillet that goes across the entire right hand section and that has been fine also, using 2 of the heating areas on it.

Have a play with your sister’s induction and see how you get on. Was chatting to Pitch about the main frustration with induction is tossing your food in a wok as to do so, you remove it from the heat to flip; whereas on gas it is still above / in the flame and doesn’t lose the heat. Only way around is to toss the contents using utensils which is the least chef looking thing ever!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’ve not ever had my Neff 900mm hob turn off when using cast iron on it for steaks. Perhaps the portable ones have a lower trip limit for the overheat. I sear at 250C usually using an IR gun.

Used a full length skillet that goes across the entire right hand section and that has been fine also, using 2 of the heating areas on it.

Have a play with your sister’s induction and see how you get on. Was chatting to Pitch about the main frustration with induction is tossing your food in a wok as to do so, you remove it from the heat to flip; whereas on gas it is still above / in the flame and doesn’t lose the heat. Only way around is to toss the contents using utensils which is the least chef looking thing ever!
    To keep the heat you put an indication plate over the induction hob and the induction pan on the top of the plate ( it’s also how you use a non induction pan on an induction hob).

Circulon will work fine on induction.

Ahah! It does sound like you can maintain a higher temp on a fixed unit then.

Master
    Searing above 260c starts to impair the reaction that you’re looking for when searing. Above 260c (500f) you’re drying the meat out too quickly.

I’m not aware of a difference between fixed and portable hob limits. Although you do need to replace the thermal cut off occasionally on some.

Master
    We’ve got a selection of these and around ten years old and still like new

https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en_GB/p/...d/SS53202.html

Doesn't cast iron scratch an induction hob?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doesn't cast iron scratch an induction hob?
    It can be machined on the base - like any pan, just that most aren't

but yes- dragging pans around on induction top glass will mark it.

Searing above 260c starts to impair the reaction that you’re looking for when searing. Above 260c (500f) you’re drying the meat out too quickly.

I’m not aware of a difference between fixed and portable hob limits. Although you do need to replace the thermal cut off occasionally on some.
    Interesting. Will try at around 250c in future. I bought the portable induction hob for cooking steaks outdoors, to minimise smoke.

I also play a gas blowlamp on the sides (esp fat) and the top while searing the bottom.

Master
    To keep the heat you put an indication plate over the induction hob and the induction pan on the top of the plate ( it’s also how you use a non induction pan on an induction hob).
    Sorry confused here. The pan is only off the hob for a few flicks of the wrist to mix it about. The hob remains on, and hot.

With gas, I’m still holding the pan above the flame / in it vs the induction hob where there’s just an air gap for heat transfer.

How will the plate make a difference here? I’ve not measured the IR temp when the pan is removed and replaced but can’t see the glass cooling down that rapidly. Given how long the h/H symbols stay illuminated after cooking.

Sorry confused here. The pan is only off the hob for a few flicks of the wrist to mix it about. The hob remains on, and hot.

With gas, I’m still holding the pan above the flame / in it vs the induction hob where there’s just an air gap for heat transfer.

How will the plate make a difference here? I’ve not measured the IR temp when the pan is removed and replaced but can’t see the glass cooling down that rapidly. Given how long the h/H symbols stay illuminated after cooking.
    On a gas hob with a wok ring (or even without) - when you tilt the wok, the gas is still playing on the underside. On an induction hob there is no heat transfer and the hob basically shuts down as the inductive field is reduced due to any air-gap.

I've had a Rangemaster 110 with an induction hob for 8 years and I think it's brilliant

However I would agree with the comment regarding not trying to heat up frying pans too quickly and them warping It's cost me 2 Le Creuset nonstick pans and a very heated conversation in Fenwicks to get them replaced

As mentioned above, I use Le Creuset 3 ply Stainless steel pans and the have all been fantastic. For steak I use a Lodge cast iron skillet. I season it using Avocado oil and always take my time to heat it up Once at a high temp, it maintains it no problem and can sear 2 nice thick sirlions without any noticable heat loss

Overall the speed of use and the low heat remaining after switching off were the 2 original features that drew me to it

Good Luck with whatever you choose

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    I've had a Rangemaster 110 with an induction hob for 8 years and I think it's brilliant

However I would agree with the comment regarding not trying to heat up frying pans too quickly and them warping It's cost me 2 Le Creuset nonstick pans and a very heated conversation in Fenwicks to get them replaced

As mentioned above, I use Le Creuset 3 ply Stainless steel pans and the have all been fantastic. For steak I use a Lodge cast iron skillet. I season it using Avocado oil and always take my time to heat it up Once at a high temp, it maintains it no problem and can sear 2 nice thick sirlions without any noticable heat loss

Overall the speed of use and the low heat remaining after switching off were the 2 original features that drew me to it

I see what you did there.....................

I heated up a good enamel backed oval skillet on a circular hob too quickly and it split like a gun going off - due to the differential expansion of the cast iron.

Master

The induction job isn’t heating if there is no conductive pan on the top. It may be switched on but there must be something on top for it to be heating.

To be clear, I don’t use an induction plate. If I’m doing batches of tarte tatin some of my little pans are not induction compatible so they will sit in the large cast iron skillet to Caramelise before the batch go into the oven.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post

The lodge ones are brilliant.

Catering suppliers Nisbet’s do a range which is good too.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-roun...pan-255mm/m655

If you choose Nisbet’s, register, put the items in your basket and leave. They will send you a discount code to go back and buy it.

The induction job isn’t heating if there is no conductive pan on the top. It may be switched on but there must be something on top for it to be heating.

To be clear, I don’t use an induction plate. If I’m doing batches of tarte tatin some of my little pans are not induction compatible so they will sit in the large cast iron skillet to Caramelise before the batch go into the oven.
    To be pedantic - there must be an 'inductive' pan (ferrous) within the field. The field diminishes (probably exponentially) the greater the distance from the hob surface.

It is induction, not conduction, but the result is as you describe.

Master
    To be pedantic - there must be an 'inductive' pan (ferrous) within the field. The field diminishes (probably exponentially) the greater the distance from the hob surface.

It is induction, not conduction, but the result is as you describe.
    Of course you’re correct, clumsy use of the term on my part.

Master
    On a gas hob with a wok ring (or even without) - when you tilt the wok, the gas is still playing on the underside. On an induction hob there is no heat transfer and the hob basically shuts down as the inductive field is reduced due to any air-gap.
    Yeah, that’s what I thought. I love my new kitchen but really miss my wok hob; my stir fries are not as good, that is for sure & aside from a multi gas burner running off 13kg patio gas any of the smaller freedom burners aren’t going to get me the heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I love my new kitchen but really miss my wok hob; my stir fries are not as good, that is for sure & aside from a multi gas burner running off 13kg patio gas any of the smaller freedom burners aren’t going to get me the heat.
    I'm more 'engineer' than 'chef', but apart from the aesthetic appeal of a single range induction top - If I was going for a new install, I would have 4x gas rings and 2x induction rings. (and an extract hood with the power to lift Michael Fabricant's rug).

I'd likely prefer a gas hob, but as I have no other gas supplied to the house, it would likely be a faff, so induction is the likely option.

Is there much difference between brands? My old cooker is a combined 110 electric ceramic, and I am considering a straight forward replacement with an induction hob, but prices seem all over the place, from a round 2k ish for something like a Belling to over 5k for the likes of Falcon etc. The neighbours had an Aga fitted, which just seemed very out of place to me in a more modern build.
    It's just a matter of time...

You can always pick up some bargains on Facebook marketplace of ranges and cookers that folk want rid of with their new kitchen getting installed.

From there and new- I would recommend RANGEMASTER. I know two serious cooks, who not only enthuse over them - I have given them a critical eye and decided they go the distance. Plenty of options within their range.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can always pick up some bargains on Facebook marketplace of ranges and cookers that folk want rid of with their new kitchen getting installed.

From there and new- I would recommend RANGEMASTER. I know two serious cooks, who not only enthuse over them - I have given them a critical eye and decided they go the distance. Plenty of options within their range.
    We 'inherited' a Rangemaster range with an induction hob at our last home. I thought is was excellent - my favourite hob when compared to electric rings or gas. I assumed I would need to buy new pans but happily all my existing pans worked on it.

We have Procook on our Bora induction.

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/pr...e-set-6-pieces

At 5 years they look the same as they did on day one. There is no stain that ever stays on them long. We've got the Procook Teflon coated wok too. It is just as solid and well made.

Difficult to see how they could be improved.

Craftsman
    We’ve got Ninja Foodi induction pans, which work well although I found out tonight that the smallest pan doesn’t work on the smallest induction hob as the pan is too small??? Does anyone know if there’s a way round it as using a larger pan all the time will become frustrating?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    We’ve got Ninja Foodi induction pans, which work well although I found out tonight that the smallest pan doesn’t work on the smallest induction hob as the pan is too small??? Does anyone know if there’s a way round it as using a larger pan all the time will become frustrating?

I would imagine using an induction plate adapter will work for you here; not used one so cannot recommend which, but that should allow the smaller pan to be used.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We use Stellar James Martin - stainless steel/alu core. For a non-stick pan grab an IKEA stainless steel base non-stick pan and replace it when the non-stick wears out (for us about once a year).

Master
    I've used induction hobs over the years and I've always hated them - was using a brand new one just a few days back, with the correct sort of pan. I just couldn't get on with it at all, particularly when trying to stir-fry vegetables. Then again, I cook with a gas Rangemaster Professional+ at home, and the wok hob has a 3.8kW output - most induction hobs won't come close to that.

We recently bought the Rangemaster Professional+ but with induction and I’m really happy to be back with an induction. Won’t compete with gas for stir fry but cleaning the gas rings was killing me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    We recently bought the Rangemaster Professional+ but with induction and I’m really happy to be back with an induction. Won’t compete with gas for stir fry but cleaning the gas rings was killing me.
    Yeah that flat surface is so much easier -
    Am with you there, a worthy loss of stir fry excellence thinking about it.

Although black glass always looks like there is a smear from some angles lol.

Yeah that flat surface is so much easier -
    Am with you there, a worthy loss of stir fry excellence thinking about it.

Although black glass always looks like there is a smear from some angles lol.
    If our gap was 10cm wider we could have got the full fat one. The old Britannia range kept turning off when it got too hot and my wife staring through the back of my head while I cracked eggs into the pan was terrible with the gas hob.

I’ll take the smears and smudges on the black glass over cleaning the gas any day but in the summer my wife cooks curry on the hob on the bbq to avoid the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'd likely prefer a gas hob, but as I have no other gas supplied to the house, it would likely be a faff, so induction is the likely option.

Is there much difference between brands? My old cooker is a combined 110 electric ceramic, and I am considering a straight forward replacement with an induction hob, but prices seem all over the place, from a round 2k ish for something like a Belling to over 5k for the likes of Falcon etc. The neighbours had an Aga fitted, which just seemed very out of place to me in a more modern build.
    Take a look at Lacanche ranges. You can have a choice of fuels, for the hob and oven combinations. Our has LPG hobs and electric fan and electric static ovens, but they also offer induction hobs, gas ovens (LPG or natural gas), so you can spec whatever you want.

They are built like tanks and have loads of spares readily available, so last for decades.

It can be machined on the base - like any pan, just that most aren't

but yes- dragging pans around on induction top glass will mark it.
    We moved to induction a couple of years back, and love it. Being a bit of an obsessive though, i found a couple of light scratches on the glass top. A couple of months back i bought some silicone/fibreglass protectors, which are just like rubber disks that sit under the pans. They stop the pans sliding about, as well as a protection from more scratches, so well worth the 15 quid they cost.

Quote Originally Posted by AshUK View Post
    We moved to induction a couple of years back, and love it. Being a bit of an obsessive though, i found a couple of light scratches on the glass top. A couple of months back i bought some silicone/fibreglass protectors, which are just like rubber disks that sit under the pans. They stop the pans sliding about, as well as a protection from more scratches, so well worth the 15 quid they cost.
    Interesting ! so they obv reduce the inductive field a little bit, but sounds like a good solution.

Post a link to them will you? I think you've found the perfect gift for my Sister's birthday,
    Cheers!
    Just done a search on Amazon - will trawl through the reviews, but seems like individual protectors make more sense than a blanket.
    Last edited by blackal; 13th January 2024 at 20:42.

Interesting ! so they obv reduce the inductive field a little bit, but sounds like a good solution.

Post a link to them will you? I think you've found the perfect gift for my Sister's birthday,
    Cheers!
    Just done a search on Amazon - will trawl through the reviews, but seems like individual protectors make more sense than a blanket.
    They don't appear to reduce the performance much - i've been using a dutch oven on ours and they heat up in no time.
    I got the individual disk type - I like the look of the induction top so would hate to stick one of them big mats over the whole thing. These just sit under the pots, so you don't even see them.
    This is what i got - very happy with them so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lazy-Induct...30&sr=8-5&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by AshUK View Post
    They don't appear to reduce the performance much - i've been using a dutch oven on ours and they heat up in no time.
    I got the individual disk type - I like the look of the induction top so would hate to stick one of them big mats over the whole thing. These just sit under the pots, so you don't even see them.
    This is what i got - very happy with them so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lazy-Induct...30&sr=8-5&th=1
    May even increase performance by acting as insulator so preventing heat loss to the hob...

Craftsman
    I would imagine using an induction plate adapter will work for you here; not used one so cannot recommend which, but that should allow the smaller pan to be used.
    Just wanted to update this thread about the Ninja Milk Pan debacle and it not working on my induction hob.

Basically, the set we had from Ninja were hard anodised with only a stainless steel plate at the bottom. The pans themselves are aluminium. With the 16cm milk pan, there simply wasn’t enough stainless steel for the induction hob to recognise hence why it didn’t work. As I’m sure you know, induction hobs need to heat a ferromagnetic material to work.

Another tip Ninja suggested was to have the saucepan overlapping the hob ring in order to use it.

After a call to Ninja Customer Services, they attempted to send a replacement identical milk pan out suggesting the original one is faulty. After explaining that I dot believe the original one is faulty for reasons mentioned above, I asked Ninja to supply stainless steel milk pan and suggested the relevant product code from researched their website.
    Ninja happily obliged on the condition I return the original milk pan to them (courier label provided) and I’m very pleased to say the replacement stainless steel milk pan works as it should.
    Although it took a little backwards and forwards, I must say what great service from Ninja.

Induction Hobs

Not all SSs are magnetic or they can be only weakly so.