closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A silly question re: apple watch cellular and e-SIM

Blog Entries

A silly question re: apple watch cellular and e-SIM

Hi guys

I am about to buy an apple watch, and am undecided if to get the GPS only or GPS+cellular version. Have also an Iphone 12 pro.

I understand the cellular version comes with an e-sim. How does it work: do I need to get a separate mobile phone contract for the cellular connection to work on the phone, or can I use the same phone number and contract for both the watch and the iphone?

Sorry, I know is trivial bu can;t understand

Best
    Franco

I am on o2 - I have the same number for both and pay a small monthly fee for the watch which is billed on the same contract as my mobile.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

How much is that Chris?

Edit..no worries, found it on the iPhone its £7 pcm
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 6th January 2024 at 00:52.

My understanding is that the sim versions, can be used to make calls answer texts etc, without your phone needing to be close by. You can leave your phone at home and still have the majority of its functions on your wrist.
    The GPS versions can make calls answer texts etc but piggyback the required signal from your phone so phone needs to be near, (within Bluetooth range)
    If you’re never far from your phone, as I rarely am, the gps is fine for my needs.
    Last edited by John Wall; 6th January 2024 at 07:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    How much is that Chris?

Edit..no worries, found it on the iPhone its £7 pcm

Sorry D, I missed the Q earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Sorry D, I missed the Q earlier.
    No worries, does that include call time etc or is that just data?

It just counts as another device using whatever call time, texts and data* that you are already paying for.

* does anyone not have unlimited calls and texts these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It just counts as another device using whatever call time, texts and data* that you are already paying for.

* does anyone not have unlimited calls and texts these days?
    When you click on the phone app to set it up it just mentions data, it doesnt mention calls ,texts etc. Ive paired it this morning and my watch is connected now with the package but when you go on the o2 app and use the drop down box which shows the add on it says include calls zero, texts zero. It does show unlimited data however.

On my contract it is the same as I have for the phone - unlimited calls and texts with 40gb of data.

When you buy the apple watch, you add it to your mobile phone plan either through the app or by calling the provider if you have difficulties doing it that way. The apple watch technically gets a new number (which you will see on your account) but is linked to your mobile plan so that calls to your mobile number also get routed to the watch. Minutes and data used on the watch come out of your main allowance, although I think most providers small print limits the watch data to something like 10GB (which you'd never exceed anyway). Also, I'm pretty sure that all providers do not allow the watch data to work abroad even if your mobile plan allows roaming.

Monthly cost is about £7 for most main providers and you'll generally need to be with one of the main carriers (EE, O2, Vodafone, Three) as the MVNO companies (the piggyback providers like Smarty, VOX, Tesco mobile etc) don't generally have the ability to add watches.

I'll be honest, every time I buy a new apple watch I enthusiastically add it to my plan but after a few months realise it's £7 a month down the drain as I'm never in a situation with the watch but without my mobile phone.

I think you've got to realistically consider your situation (what carrier you are with, whether you actually need to be without your mobile) to work out whether the extra spend on the cellular version is worth it.
    Last edited by Christian; 6th January 2024 at 11:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    When you buy the apple watch, you add it to your mobile phone plan either through the app or by calling the provider if you have difficulties doing it that way. The apple watch technically gets a new number (which you will see on your account) but is linked to your mobile plan so that calls to your mobile number also get routed to the watch. Minutes and data used on the watch come out of your main allowance, although I think most providers small print limits the watch data to something like 10GB (which you'd never exceed anyway). Also, I'm pretty sure that all providers do not allow the watch data to work abroad even if your mobile plan allows roaming.

Monthly cost is about £7 for most main providers and you'll generally need to be with one of the main carriers (EE, O2, Vodafone, Three) as the MVNO don't generally have the ability to add watches.

I'll be honest, every time I buy a new apple watch I enthusiastically add it to my plan but after a few months realise it's £7 a month down the drain as I'm never in a situation with the watch but without my mobile phone.
    Was wondering how this worked because normally can't have 2 phones (or presumably any device) with same number.

Master
    As above, it links to your main number and the number you are given in addition is essentially a dummy number.
    I find it useful if you want to go out on a walk or run for example, without having to carry your phone. You still have access to music / radio etc and can make and receive calls, texts, emails etc if you want to. Also useful if your phone batery runs out as the watch will still work.

Just to add that while I can appreciate the convenience of not having your phone with you (say, if you're a runner, or if you forgot it at home) I would thing you'd still need to have your air pods to avoid looking like a twit speaking to your watch then putting it against your ear to hear the caller. Or am I missing something?

(I believe it should be free, or a one-off fee as otherwise the convenience it brings in one of the situations above is not worth £84 a year)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

A silly question re: apple watch cellular and e-SIM

I had an earlier Apple Watch with cellular and I used it for running - so when I was out without the phone I had my AirPods anyway for music whilst exercising. You’re correct you do look odd using the watch as a phone without AirPods - however there’s no holding it to your ear if you don’t have AirPods - the speaker is crystal clear and the mic works when held at arm distance. Sometimes I’d leave the house without my phone knowing I still had Apple Pay, could receive urgent calls etc. generally I’d ignore the call and text back from the watch - which was also surprisingly easy.
    That was a few years ago mind, and I realised I always generally need my phone with me so the watch sits in a drawer gathering dust and I’ve not really been tempted to get a new one even though they are undeniably brilliant tech. Ultimately though they’re just a mini phone strapped to your wrist and if you have a phone in your pocket too what’s the point?
    If I tracked health/exercise data I’d have one in a heartbeat - excuse the pun!

Shall I take my phone…

Or just the watch ?

…are you coming?
    You bring the phone, I’ve got the watch.