closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just collected my SD 16600 from RSC Kings Hill

Craftsman

Just collected my SD 16600 from RSC Kings Hill

To add some context, my 16600 had ceased to wind earlier last year. I took it to the RSC in Kings Hill and have had a full overhaul of the watch (this took 3 weeks even over Christmas). I was slightly concerned about accepting the case and bracelet refinishing service even though both these components had seen their fair share of wear.

I was charged the base service cost for an overhaul and have to say that I'm delighted with the watch. It literally looks as though it came straight out of the boutique 20 odd years ago and the case finishing is superb. I have enclosed a few pictures below for reference.

Looking great! What was the cost if you don’t mind me asking? My 16600 is pretty battered and the rotor inside makes an awful noise and vibration. It keeps great time but I know I should probably service it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Looking great! What was the cost if you don’t mind me asking? My 16600 is pretty battered and the rotor inside makes an awful noise and vibration. It keeps great time but I know I should probably service it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    The price for a complete overhaul (including VAT) was £700.

Journeyman
    Looks superb, congrats.

Journeyman
    Was the crystal replaced? If not, it’s unusual that they didn’t insist that it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    Was the crystal replaced? If not, it’s unusual that they didn’t insist that it should be!
    They are not always renewed. But you usually get hit for either crown/crystal/bezel.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    According to the work performed, they have not replaced the crystal. They did however replace the bezel insert.

The HE valve appears to be different, but there is no documentation that states they replaced that.

Craftsman
    Looks fantastic! Great looking watch, congrats!

Master
    Nice.

Looks sharp, but I'd have not had it refinished personally.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Looks very nice, enjoy it !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, why not?

I understand that the amount of metal removed is infinitesimally small and the watch is restored to an as new condition.

Craftsman
    I did think about this very hard, but I'm glad I did. The watch has spent a lot of time in the sea on four different continents and both the case and bracelet were showing their age.

The pictures don't do it justice. In the flesh the the amount of metal removed is completely unnoticeable and the watch looks as it did when it originally left the showroom.

Master
    Looks good, ready for many more years of service. Great reference the 16600.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    I did think about this very hard, but I'm glad I did. The watch has spent a lot of time in the sea on four different continents and both the case and bracelet were showing their age.

The pictures don't do it justice. In the flesh the the amount of metal removed is completely unnoticeable and the watch looks as it did when it originally left the showroom.

And why not? The watch will see you out - why not get that new watch feel again.........

That was a reasonable price for the service too.

Looks great! Did you get the old insert back?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nor me, but looks like a great job. I prefer my watches to carry their journey on them.

Master
    Looks fantatic, they are great at what they do...now, will you wear it?
    I still have Tudor which was back looking 100% new and still babying it!

Grand Master
    Unless a watch has obviously been subjected to deep refinishing in the past, meaning it’s unwise to remove any more metal however small, I shall never understand the reluctance to have a watch refinished.

Refinishing restores the watch to the original appearance, what’s not to like!

OK, I have a reputation for being quite good at it, but I dislike refinishing work and there’s no way I’m touting for business, I just fail to understand the appeal a scratched up watch compared to how the manufacturer intended it to look.

Master
    Stone cold classic. Enjoy it.

Fantastic job, and a wonderful watch, IMHO the last of the true Rolex tool watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    Looks great! Did you get the old insert back?
    I didn't get the original bezel insert back, no. I believe Rolex don't want these sorts of items circulating outside of their control.

It's not a big deal for me. I'm not a massive Rolex enthusiast, but I feel the 16600 is their best reference for a sports/tool watch and will certainly not be one that I move on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Looks fantatic, they are great at what they do...now, will you wear it?
    I still have Tudor which was back looking 100% new and still babying it!
    I'll definitely be wearing it, though I expect I'll be a little more careful in exposing it to some of the abuse it's had in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Unless a watch has obviously been subjected to deep refinishing in the past, meaning it’s unwise to remove any more metal however small, I shall never understand the reluctance to have a watch refinished.

Refinishing restores the watch to the original appearance, what’s not to like!

OK, I have a reputation for being quite good at it, but I dislike refinishing work and there’s no way I’m touting for business, I just fail to understand the appeal a scratched up watch compared to how the manufacturer intended it to look.
    Totally agree with this, people have made an absurd connection that giving a watch polish is a bad thing.

It all comes from the Hodinkees perpetuating this obsession with unpolished watches.

I can understand the concern more on a 70 year old precious metal watch, but a steel sea dweller?

Just polish it, there is tonnes of steel on the case!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Totally agree with this, people have made an absurd connection that giving a watch polish is a bad thing.

It all comes from the Hodinkees perpetuating this obsession with unpolished watches.
    It doesn't, necessarily. I have some scratches on an Omega which came from slipping on rocks while playing with my kids on holiday in France. When I look at the watch and see those scratches it makes me smile. I don't want them erased; and you don't have to be a Hodinkee fashion victim to feel that way.

It looks fabulous, and fwiw, I would have had it polished too. If it was a 45 year old 1665 then I would feel differently.

Lovely watch, enjoy it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Nothing wrong with polishing a 1665 Sea Dweller as long as it’s done properly
    Your 16600 looks fab and I’d have polished it too, the bevels look great and very close to the original factory as per mine.
    Enjoy!

Master
    Watch looks fab OP, I’m lucky to own one as well, what year is yours and can I ask, was the lug bevel already present ?

Mine has the same bevel that I assume Rolex did when mine was serviced in Feb 2021. Mine’s an M from late 2007.

Pretty sure bevelled case from new stopped a good number of years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Mine has the same bevel that I assume Rolex did when mine was serviced in Feb 2021. Mine’s an M from late 2007.

Pretty sure bevelled case from new stopped a good number of years ago.
    My V from May 2009 (bought new by me) doesn't have bevelled edges - still doesn't after RSC service 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    It doesn't, necessarily. I have some scratches on an Omega which came from slipping on rocks while playing with my kids on holiday in France. When I look at the watch and see those scratches it makes me smile. I don't want them erased; and you don't have to be a Hodinkee fashion victim to feel that way.
    Fair point, on reflection wouldn't polish my late father's watches for the same sentimental reasons.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk