closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Denim turning leather seats blue.

Blog Entries

Denim turning leather seats blue.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

The seats are an ivory colour leather and on the drivers side the outside edge is starting to show a blue mark/stain. Be interested to know if it can be cleaned off and if so what to use and how. Tried some water based cleaner that came in the goodies case when new, but didn't have much effect.
    Any ideas from the hive mind appreciated.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at Dr Leather or colourlock, or even halfords site- clean the seat then apply a protectant/sealant. For general upkeep DR Leather wipes are useful

ICYMI...WikiHow

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Has anyone ever had this problem?

The seats are an ivory colour leather and on the drivers side the outside edge is starting to show a blue mark/stain. Be interested to know if it can be cleaned off and if so what to use and how. Tried some water based cleaner that came in the goodies case when new, but didn't have much effect.
    Any ideas from the hive mind appreciated.

I have the same problem, I clean with a quality BMW Leather Cleaner with a magic eraser, I then use a leather conditioner the wife uses on our leather suite. It brings the leather up to looking new.

Craftsman
    In one word, Gliptone , google the name and website, what classic buffs etc. all use, great range of products. Cheers, John B4

Craftsman
    Buy some cream-coloured jeans !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    In one word, Gliptone , google the name and website, what classic buffs etc. all use, great range of products. Cheers, John B4
    Gliptone twins are also a good call

Have you tried wearing driving chinos over the jeans?

Why anyone would buy a car with ivory leather seats is a complete mystery to me, partly for the very reason the OP mentions, but also for reasons of taste.

Anyway, having two teenage kids and going on muddy walks all the time mean they'd be wrecked in a week.

Can't help with the stains. I get it on all my trainers and never successfully solved it. It's an indigo dye, which is bloody hard to shift.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Gliptone's leather cleaner is an excellent product, IME. If their Gentle Cleaner doesn't shift transferred clothing dye then their Intensive Cleaner surely will: it has successfully removed Coca Cola stains out of ecru car leather for me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Gliptone's leather cleaner is an excellent product, IME. If their Gentle Cleaner doesn't shift transferred clothing dye then their Intensive Cleaner surely will: it has successfully removed Coca Cola stains out of ecru car leather for me.

R
    And it smells nice as well (well I like it).

Craftsman
    I use slightly soapy water and it comes off fine. I then apply a leather cream to preserve and condition it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Buy some cream-coloured jeans !
    Not quite on the Werthers Originals yet, still on the Toffee Eclairs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Have you tried wearing driving chinos over the jeans?

Why anyone would buy a car with ivory leather seats is a complete mystery to me, partly for the very reason the OP mentions, but also for reasons of taste.

Anyway, having two teenage kids and going on muddy walks all the time mean they'd be wrecked in a week.

Can't help with the stains. I get it on all my trainers and never successfully solved it. It's an indigo dye, which is bloody hard to shift.
    So funny.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Thanks guys for the helpful replies. Gliptone's products scoring highly so will look into trying them. Will also look at the other suggestions as well.

Salesman said don't order that colour seats if you wear jeans at all as they can transfer the colour. I said my last three cars had light coloured seats and I'd never had that problem somewhat smugly. Hmmmph. So I definitely need to clean it off if I trade it in! (I like light coloured interiors as they just make me feel good. Don't know why, don't care.)

Master
    My weapon of choice is these Dr Leather wipes. Link

It’s a PITA no pun intended

But you either wear jeans that have had many wash cycles or lighter colour clothing.

I had a friend who put towels on his 458 seats.

Anyhoo if it becomes dyed in your only option is refinishing seats which a company in Warrington do brilliantly called Leathercare.

https://www.leathercaredirect.com/

Done several for me over years with amazing results

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thanks guys for the helpful replies. Gliptone's products scoring highly so will look into trying them. Will also look at the other suggestions as well.

Salesman said don't order that colour seats if you wear jeans at all as they can transfer the colour. I said my last three cars had light coloured seats and I'd never had that problem somewhat smugly. Hmmmph. So I definitely need to clean it off if I trade it in! (I like light coloured interiors as they just make me feel good. Don't know why, don't care.)

My friend and me both have X3s mine is Dark Grey, his is black with black interior, I have Oyster interior, side by side mine looks the nicer car all day long, my mate agrees, but he carries small grand kids I do not. If you keep on top with the detailing it will always look good

Job done

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    It’s a PITA no pun intended

But you either wear jeans that have had many wash cycles or lighter colour clothing.

I had a friend who put towels on his 458 seats.

Anyhoo if it becomes dyed in your only option is refinishing seats which a company in Warrington do brilliantly called Leathercare.

https://www.leathercaredirect.com/

Done several for me over years with amazing results
    I used to wrap an ikea fleece throw around me like a sarong when my JCW had white leather. I had oyster in a 5 series with new indigo jeans and never got the colour out despite extensive attempts.

Good luck op.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I remember buying ‘shrink to fit’ jeans many many years ago and after 1/2 hour in a hot bath the dye had transferred to my legs, often took a couple of days to wash off again, everyone at work know you had new denims when in the showers post shift.
    Proper jeans, lasted years unlike the crazy expensive stuff on offer now.

As it says in the good book, neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee. The mixing the clothing of the working man with the luxury of the rich man is bringing its own reward

I use Huggies PURE Baby-Wipes ........use them on a lot of stuff ( cleaning Trainers etc)

Cheap & Cheerful and always does the job

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    As it says in the good book, neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee. The mixing the clothing of the working man with the luxury of the rich man is bringing its own reward
    Wicker man here we come.

Have had same probs on my 5 series.
    I use Dodo Juice leather cleaner. It works fantastically well.
    Twice a year and they look like new.
    I then use autoglym leather balm to seal and moisturise - although not sure if that is bullshit, but I do it anyway.

Uniqlo jeans fit me well, but seem to be the absolute worst for colour transfer, so am resigning them to the charity shop.
    Chinos or walking trousers all the way now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master

Denim turning leather seats blue.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Have had same probs on my 5 series.
    I use Dodo Juice leather cleaner. It works fantastically well.
    Twice a year and they look like new.
    I then use autoglym leather balm to seal and moisturise - although not sure if that is bullshit, but I do it anyway.

Uniqlo jeans fit me well, but seem to be the absolute worst for colour transfer, so am resigning them to the charity shop.
    Chinos or walking trousers all the way now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I was paranoid as hell with these ones! Used a leather company that did cleaner & sealant but any denim was wearing a fleece blanket like a sarong just to be safe!