closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I hate adverts.

Craftsman

I hate adverts.

I'm on my phone, and *BAM* a full screen find my ideal wife here advert that I cant x off for 20 seconds.

Whats the weather like today? Lets check, it's going to be clou.... Nope no idea, apparently I want to buy this new bitcoin trading course and I can't see what the weather is like at all.

TV ads, are almost as bad, but pop ups on my smart phone really wind me up.

I have however found a few easy life hacks, some free, some easy, some a bit more complicated and some which are paid but minimal cost to do which I thought I'd share. I'll add a few more as I go, but firstly

iPhone or iPad users
    https://adguard-dns.io/en/public-dns.html
    Scroll down to method 2 install manually.
    Download configuration profile for default server
    Follow graphics to install on your phone.
    What this does is without any installed apps or software or VPNs on your phone, causes your phone to use AdGuards DNS servers rather than Apple's. This is basically the internets phone book which looks things up for you. If anything ever tries to look up an advert server, it refuses it meaning the advert doesn't get delivered to your phone. Regardless of if you are on WiFi or mobile or roaming, you'll pretty much never see an advert on your iPhone again. Completely free

Android users
    Go to same link and copy the dns.adguard-dns.com DNS address into the Private DNS section of your phone as pictured, this does the same thing in the Android ecosystem. Completely free.

Blocking ITV/C4/Five and catchup ads at the router level
    Most routers have a built in firewall. If you feel competent enough to go into it and add a couple of sites to manually block then add the below, you can ignore the bottom LG... ones if you don't have an LG TV. If you watch ITV Player it 'usually' goes to a blank screen for a few seconds before returning to the programme rather than forcing you to watch 3-5 minutes of adverts now. Sometimes I have seen a bug though whereby the screen just goes blank for the advert length, this isn't fool proof, but is pretty good. Do be careful playing around with your routers firewall and other admin settings, enter things slowly, carefully and double check else you might turn your internet off basically...!
    tom.itv.com
    c5ads.ott.skymedia.co.uk
    toots-a.akamaihd.net
    2a7e9.v.fwmrm.net
    p.videologygroup.com
    2356e.v.fwmrm.net
    cdn.ss.anno.channel4.com
    webstats.channel4.com
    cdn.http.anno.channel4.com
    securecdn.videologygroup.com
    monitor.channel4.com
    -again this is completely free and painless
    Example:

Blocking harassing ads on your home network.
    Same principle as AdGurd on your phone. Your router usually has a pre-set DNS server in it. If you are with Virgin, it will use Virgins DNS server to look up addresses, some 3rd party routers are pre-set to use Google, or Cloudflare, or Quad9 or some other DNS provider, there's no real noticeable different to be honest. Find your routers Upstream DNS server and change it to the below number groups
    Default servers AdGuard DNS will block ads and trackers.
    IPv4:
    Example:

To follow:

Blocking all ads on your home network

Blocking ads on your mobile while not at home and not using Adguard DNS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HEN12Y; 9th January 2024 at 21:17.

Following with interest, thanks a lot. They really are a modern scourge.

Well I can definitely say using adguard dns on the iPhone works.

Sent from a technical device

Total Adblock. Sorted.

Didn't you do something similar with pi hole for computers?

Also you could install Graphene OS, Calyx OS or e/os.
    Last edited by Ventura; 3rd January 2024 at 20:56.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Total Adblock. Sorted.
    Yep. Used this for a while now.

Adguard user here.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Superb.

Works great on iPad & iPhone.

Many thanks

z

Craftsman
    yeah I'm a bid AdGuard fan. It used to only work blocking ads in safari, but now without running a 3rd party app it blocks ads across your entire iphone. Running it as an app is slightly easier, but then you end up with un-necessary apps consuming battery. I'm also not sure if the iphone adguard app, modifies the local phones DNS or sets up a synthetic VPN like DNSCloak app does, which is also free and can block all adds on your iphone.

Yes I also has a raspberry pi, and pihole. That's going to be the third chapter!

You're very tech savvy. I thought you were in oil? Though that doesn't mean you wouldn't be

Craftsman
    good memory! yes I am, but I'm more involved in the high frequency trading space of oil contracts, which is a lot of maths, computers, code, and shouting at people!!

Craftsman
    editing this between phone and browser has made some of it go Greek...!? i'll tidy up the formatting later, currently being summoned to watch tv...!

I doesn't block YouTube ads does it? I use Brave browser, which blocks ads on YouTube. I tried this on YouTube app. There seems to be less ads but there are still ads. I presume that it won't work for YouTube?

Like a late Christmas present - thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    I doesn't block YouTube ads does it? I use Brave browser, which blocks ads on YouTube. I tried this on YouTube app. There seems to be less ads but there are still ads. I presume that it won't work for YouTube?
    youtube premium is very cheap if you subscribe via india or somewhere, something like a euro a month, well worth it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VPN/comment..._only_115_per/
    Last edited by cyrusir; 4th January 2024 at 11:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    From memory I think YouTube usually delivers ads through the same stream as its content, therefore it’s quite tricky to block them for free with out also blocking the YouTube content itself. The free methods work fine when the advert gets delivered to your webpage or app from a different source to the actual web page.

Is this thread an advert?

Wow! I can now browse TZ without adverts firing at me from every direction. Thank you very much.

Craftsman
    I use Lockdown app on iOS

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Is this thread an advert?
    So cynical

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    youtube premium is very cheap if you subscribe via india or somewhere, something like a euro a month, well worth it.
    Easier said than done, unfortunately.

I have tried several times with ExpressVPN but no joy, so far.

Never see any ads.

I have adblocker and only access the net on my desktop.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

A little OT, but it's gambling ads on YT and TV channels that REALLY piss me off.

Accas, w**kers in red leprechaun hats and all the rest of it boil my liquid excretia for some reason.

I'm not a gambler (seems to be a mugs game to me) and neither am in danger of becoming a compulsive one, but given that cigarette advertising is banned for the physical harm it does, it can hopefully only be a matter of time before gambling ads are banned for the mental and social damage gambling does.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

i did it some time ago but has worked very well for me. Probably used Nord at the time.

A lot of these ad blockers appear to be geared towards Safari users.

Even as Iphone user I tend to use Google rather than Safari and wondered if anyone knows whether they work for Google search and if not why not?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

Even as Iphone user I tend to use Google rather than Safari and wondered if anyone knows whether they work for Google search and if not why not?
    dns level will work everywhere,

when you say google do you mean chrome browser?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    do you mean chrome browser?
    Yes, Chrome....... I knew that didn't sound right when I typed it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

See first post, follow iPhone instructions to install the AdGuard profile, no apps, no VPNs needed, just block all adds on your phone in all apps and in all browsers at once. Free of cost.

Urbanvpn free trial and Ukraine worked for me.

I use a separate gmail account for it in case google throw a fit and delete the account

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HEN12Y View Post
    See first post, follow iPhone instructions to install the AdGuard profile, no apps, no VPNs needed, just block all adds on your phone in all apps and in all browsers at once. Free of cost.

Thank you for this, just installed on my phone and AccuWeather is advert free!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    A little OT, but it's gambling ads on YT and TV channels that REALLY piss me off.

Accas, w**kers in red leprechaun hats and all the rest of it boil my liquid excretia for some reason.

I'm not a gambler (seems to be a mugs game to me) and neither am in danger of becoming a compulsive one, but given that cigarette advertising is banned for the physical harm it does, it can hopefully only be a matter of time before gambling ads are banned for the mental and social damage gambling does.

M
    Let's hope so. With the advent of the net gambling has become far to easy for people with that inclination.

I heard they are putting a stop to gambling sponsors on Premiership football shirts soon.

Not before time.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Thanks for this - works a treat on my iPhone.

Struggling with my Virgin Superb 4 router - looks like the DNS settings cannot be changed via the admin login?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Thanks for this - works a treat on my iPhone.

Struggling with my Virgin Superb 4 router - looks like the DNS settings cannot be changed via the admin login?
    I think virgin lock their superhubs preventing this change. You can manually set adguard on all your devices in your home, or you could buy a 3rd party router like Asus, set your superhub from modem mode, to router mode, and connect everything to your router instead of superhub

Or, you could disable DHCP server on your superhub, and buy a raspberry pi, install pihole, and use that to block ads and act in place of the DHCP server in your modem, thus is more complex and has as yet to be added to the initial post!

Quote Originally Posted by HEN12Y View Post
    I think virgin lock their superhubs preventing this change. You can manually set adguard on all your devices in your home, or you could buy a 3rd party router like Asus, set your superhub from modem mode, to router mode, and connect everything to your router instead of superhub

Or, you could disable DHCP server on your superhub, and buy a raspberry pi, install pihole, and use that to block ads and act in place of the DHCP server in your modem, thus is more complex and has as yet to be added to the initial post!
    Gone down the Adguard route for now on my MacBook.

Considering the modem mode option.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........