closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flexgate - any recommend Mac repairers?

Master

Flexgate - any recommend Mac repairers?

Hi

My son’s 2016 13” MacBook Pro is suffering from Flexgate - a known issue whereby the display stops working due to the cable being slightly too short and breaking down over time.
    There is a repair whereby the cable is replaced or made longer and then it should be all good to go.
    Apple and a few other repair outfits just want to change the screen and it’s simply not worth it.
    Have seen a few repairers online that offer the cable fix but thought I’d ask here in case anyone has any recommendations?
    The MacBook is just used for his college work so would ideally like to get another 6 months out of it and then see.
    Cheers

Craftsman
    I have a 2016 MB Pro 13" and it suffered from 'flexgate' a few years ago. Apple repaired it for free, which I was rather impressed by. I was the first owner. I talked to apple online and they offered to make the repair. I took it into my local apple store, a few days later I collected it and it was fully functional. It was outside of the warranty period, by the way.

Ive used https://www.theinfiniteloop.co.uk for a couple of things, they've been very good

Check if your macbook is covered by apple repair program. My computer had the same issue and service centre repaired for free.

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-ma...klight-service

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Check if your macbook is covered by apple repair program. My computer had the same issue and service centre repaired for free.

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-ma...klight-service
    Thanks. I did check that and spoke to Apple but the machine is too old now to be covered by the repair programme.
    Will hopefully be taking it in over the weekend for a fix and will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thanks. I did check that and spoke to Apple but the machine is too old now to be covered by the repair programme.
    Typical Apple pushback. This is an issue that was present from the outset/by their design so the age of the device should be irrelevant?

Looking forward to your report on this one as mine is also faulty and as already mentioned too old to be covered. £600 for a screen is what I was told. Hoping you get this resolved as I’d rather like to keep using mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Typical Apple pushback. This is an issue that was present from the outset/by their design so the age of the device should be irrelevant?
    No design will last for ever, 7 years seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No design will last for ever, 7 years seems reasonable.
    7 years before it's rendered obsolete and unfixable? Should be longer than that IMO, and especially for a known issue of the manufacturer's making.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SCH74 View Post
    Looking forward to your report on this one as mine is also faulty and as already mentioned too old to be covered. £600 for a screen is what I was told. Hoping you get this resolved as I’d rather like to keep using mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quite a few people I contacted just wanted to replace the screen- starting at around £400. Just not worth it for this machine.
    Will definitely let you know how I get on.

If you're taking it into an Apple store be a bit pushy about it. I had an iPhone 8 which was well outside the warranty period and took it to Apple to see if it could be fixed. The first Genius Bar member of staff I saw checked it thoroughly and said it was the battery which need replacing at a cost of around £400 I think. Obviously I walked. I was in the same shop a week later and mentioned it to a different member of staff. Nothing they could do. Still carrying it around I called in to buy a lead a few weeks later and mentioned the phone. The member of staff plugged it in and it wouldn't turn on. He asked if I would mind sitting with it for 20 mins or so which I did. Nothing happened until he came back and lifted the phone when the screen came on and there was a little blob showing in the screen. To my surprise he saw the blob, told me it was a known fault with a batch of batteries and promptly took my details to repair the phone free of charge (replace the battery). Two weeks later, got a call and collected my phone. Still working to this day.
    If it's a known fault then they are obliged to repair it, it just depends on whether they acknowledge that it's a known fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    7 years before it's rendered obsolete and unfixable? Should be longer than that IMO, and especially for a known issue of the manufacturer's making.
    It's not unfixable.

It's not unfixable.
    According to Apple it needs a new screen, which it doesn’t. The cost of that makes it prohibitively expensive and therefore, affectively, unfixable.

Luckily there are independents who won’t try and fleece consumers to the tune of £600 for a £30 cable.

Will watch with interest to see what happens.

According to Apple it needs a new screen, which it doesn’t. The cost of that makes it prohibitively expensive and therefore, affectively, unfixable.

Luckily there are independents who won’t try and fleece consumers to the tune of £600 for a £30 cable.

Will watch with interest to see what happens.
    So, it's not unfixable.

So, it's not unfixable.
    You knew what I meant.

I was specifically talking about the manufacturer not offering a reasonable fix on an expensive, 7-year-old laptop, which you seemed to suggest was a reasonable position for a multi-billion dollar corporation to take.

I was specifically talking about the manufacturer not offering a reasonable fix on an expensive, 7-year-old laptop, which you seemed to suggest was a reasonable position for a multi-billion dollar corporation to take.
    to be fair, why would they? It's one thing not to repair something that has a design flaw, it's another altogether to offer to repair a 7 year old piece of equipment that has broken through general wear and tear. The same could be said of any other manufacturer, cookers, washing machines, coffee makers, you name it. What you're buying is a piece of equipment with a set warranty term that the manufacturer is offering. The customer knows that when they buy it. After that, it's as usable as the owner is able to make it.

Master
    Hi
    Quick update for those that have a similar issue. I took it to a guy for repair over the weekend and it seems to have fixed the issue without the cost of a replacement screen.
    The MacBook will get used properly this week as my son is back at college so fingers crossed the repair holds.
    If anyone is interested then happy to share details. They do a post-in service as well as a drop-off option.
    Cheers

Hi
    Quick update for those that have a similar issue. I took it to a guy for repair over the weekend and it seems to have fixed the issue without the cost of a replacement screen.
    The MacBook will get used properly this week as my son is back at college so fingers crossed the repair holds.
    If anyone is interested then happy to share details. They do a post-in service as well as a drop-off option.
    Cheers
    For future reference, where/who is the guy ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    For future reference, where/who is the guy ?
    This guy:

https://www.joshirepair.co.uk Based in Mitcham.

He is also on eBay if that works better for you.

Early days but my son reports that all is well with the Mac since the fix.

This guy:

https://www.joshirepair.co.uk Based in Mitcham.

He is also on eBay if that works better for you.

Early days but my son reports that all is well with the Mac since the fix.
    Cheers

Quite a few people I contacted just wanted to replace the screen- starting at around £400. Just not worth it for this machine.
    Will definitely let you know how I get on.
    Thank you for this. I’ve emailed and am awaiting a reply in the costs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk