I’d been planning to review whether I should renew my Amazon Prime Membership. I want to reduce frivolous spending and have often seen items that I do need, at lower prices elsewhere online. It seems that essentially Amazon surreptitiously charge you for the "free" delivery. I don't like that their recommendations are heavily sponsored and seem skewed to punt cheap, Chinese drek.

I barely watch Prime Video and so would certainly not miss not having it but the email I received this morning, nonetheless could be the tipping point.

“An update on Prime Video : Dear Prime member,

We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting February 5, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than ad-supported TV channels and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional £2.99 per month.”

A reminder.

Amazon’s profits for the year to Sep. 30th 2023 were, $256,000,000,000. I think they already have enough money available "to invest in compelling content."