closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage input please...

Master

Vintage input please...

Hi folks. Happy New Year to all and here's to a happy and healthy 2024 to all.

A bit of a request here from a friend of mine. He picked up these pieces from eBay on a whim for just a few notes and asked if I could see if anyone here has any insights on them - cases/movement. And any recommendations on someone to work on them.

He tried Limit directly and to their credit they did reply, albeit with "I have searched through our limited*history and unfortunately we do not have any information of this particular model. It has a Swiss made mechanical movement and*I believe this may be from around the late 1930's, early 1940's."

Any input would be most welcome and thanks from me and my mate...

Grand Master
    I`m far better at fixing 'em than researching the history of obscure brands.

First one looks early-mid 60s, second one's probably early-mid 50s.

One thing to bear in mind when getting them serviced and sorted out: it takes just as much time and effort to fix a cheap watch as an expensive one, just reminded myself of that fact recently whilst working on a couple of cheap 60s Rotarys and an old pocket watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The limit looks like it’s in a silver or steel Dennison Meteor case. It’s a decent period case type that even Rolex used pre war. You should be able to open it with fingernails and look for the ALD. It will probably have a Schild or FHF movement that is really quite nice.
    Last edited by M4tt; 2nd January 2024 at 22:17.

Master
    Thanks gents. Most useful.

Matt - you prompted me to look up ALD, and I hadn't realised Dennison's history i.e. that he was American
    https://dennisonwatches.com/history/

I thought there was a fairly comprehensive answer to a similar (although surely the same) query on the Watch Forum about 10 days ago.

https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/thre...n-help.168082/

Edit: found by a Google search. My membership over there appears to have lapsed.
    Last edited by jwg663; 3rd January 2024 at 12:03.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I thought there was a fairly comprehensive answer to a similar (although surely the same) query on the Watch Forum about 10 days ago.

https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/thre...n-help.168082/

Edit: found by a Google search. My membership over there appears to have lapsed.
    Ah ha. He must have got bored waiting for me to post this query here... I had other things going on over the 'holidays'.

Looks like he's getting his own voice ;)

Thanks.

Re the Raflex at the top.

When watches state "unbreakable mainspring" and all sorts of blurb on the back about "diamond tooling" etc you can bet there will be a cheap pin pallet movement inside.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    But the limit sports is a bit special. It’s a classic example of a watch that is every bit as good as some of the most prestigious names of the period, looks fantastic and can be found on eBay for a tenner or two.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    But the limit sports is a bit special. It’s a classic example of a watch that is every bit as good as some of the most prestigious names of the period, looks fantastic and can be found on eBay for a tenner or two.
    Yes, it's a nice thing.

I seem to remember a similar Rotary Sports of a similar age too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes, it's a nice thing.

I seem to remember a similar Rotary Sports of a similar age too.
    Another company that produced some fine watches a long time ago. I have a much earlier Rotary which looks pretty similar:

Although I confess it was a bit of a bodge repair:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Another company that produced some fine watches a long time ago. I have a much earlier Rotary which looks pretty similar:

Although I confess it was a bit of a bodge repair:

Bloody hell. What happens when you decide to do a proper job?