closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sofa’s

Sofa’s

Am thinking of getting a new one. Either a 2 or 3 seater, ideally under £800. And have been looking at John Lewis and Oak Furniture Land.

Anywhere else I should be considering and has anyone bought one they really like.

Best,

Ben

I’ve recently been diagnosed with a potentially serious back issue and replaced our suite with a couple of Ercol sofas- a 2 seater and a 3 seater. They were more expensive than I would have liked - about £2600 for the pair once I factored in Scotchgard and delivery - but were by quite some margin the most comfortable and supportive I tried across a wide range of sofas, and everyone who has sat on them over Christmas has said how comfortable they are. As a brand I’d say they are worth considering.

Hello

I’ll check them out and I hope they help with your back.

Best,

Ben

Thanks. They do a limited range through John Lewis too I believe?

I'm out of touch on Sofas, not having bought one for 10 years. Our last set were bought from Ikea (leather, still as new, sitting on it now) and Reid Furniture (sadly since closed). I was drawn to Ikea because they offered much higher backs and better support (for the taller individual). But, looking on the Ikea website, their sofa range now looks pretty limited. So, yeah, I can't offer any helpful advice. Good luck.

Master
    We had a great sofa from Darlings of Chelsea, ever so comfortable and cushions etc worn well over the last 8-9 years.

Wouldn’t go for the natural untreated leather again though, as despite no kids the leather has lost a load of colour where you sit; fine in an older property like a cottage, less in a house that is decorated with a more modern feel.

We like the large 3 seat sofas that only have 2 cushions as it’s only 2 of us and like the width of cushion vs individual 3 cushions for 3 people sitting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We had a great sofa from Darlings of Chelsea, ever so comfortable and cushions etc worn well over the last 8-9 years.

Wouldn’t go for the natural untreated leather again though, as despite no kids the leather has lost a load of colour where you sit; fine in an older property like a cottage, less in a house that is decorated with a more modern feel.

We like the large 3 seat sofas that only have 2 cushions as it’s only 2 of us and like the width of cushion vs individual 3 cushions for 3 people sitting on it.
    Agree with all of that. I’m being tempted by the vintage style with velvet fabrics myself.

Craftsman
    I bought one recently heavily discounted from BrandAlley. The brand was the Great British Sofa Company. So far working well.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agree with all of that. I’m being tempted by the vintage style with velvet fabrics myself.

We recently bought this from a mill in Yorkshire. Way above the OP’s budget though.

Whatever you do though, don’t be tempted by DFS sofas. They offer four years interest free credit which is about as long as their sofas last!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    We recently bought this from a mill in Yorkshire. Way above the OP’s budget though.

Whatever you do though, don’t be tempted by DFS sofas. They offer four years interest free credit which is about as long as their sofas last!
    Seconded. My mum used to recover sofas for people and she said DFS were the worst quality internally.

John Lewis used to sell Michael Tyler which are really good quality, I'm on my second in 30 years and only changed the old one because it had gone out of fashion.

I also buy from Sofa Sofa for other rooms. Their stuff is really good for the money.

For that budget, surely IKEA is the only option? Always well built and comfortable in my experience.

Hello

My budget is mainly due to not wanting to spend a huge amount as I’m renting until 2025 and may not stay there. So am going to have to pay to have it moved potentially.

And I’m a bit tight / not exactly minted.

Bit OT but why do sofa sellers/makers often describe themselves as 'mills'?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Bit OT but why do sofa sellers/makers often describe themselves as 'mills'?
    In our case, their mill is an old mill in the Calder Valley. I think the company is the vintage sofa company.

https://vintagesofa.co.uk/pages/about-us

Coincidentally, I grew up in the Calder Valley whilst the owners grew up in the part of East Sussex where I currently live.

Hello

I could go up to £1000 and if possible would like a 2 or 3 seater with 2 cushions (seats) if that makes sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    I could go up to £1000 and if possible would like a 2 or 3 seater with 2 cushions (seats) if that makes sense.
    Makes sense entirely, it’s what we have & what I tried to describe about ours.

You are right in the tricky bit being renting and not knowing what the next house / future holds space wise. My parents are moving next month and have sold 2 barely used sofas from their lounge (they sit in high back chairs), for a pittance of what they cost originally.

I’d have a look through second hand / local sales and see what is about, you might be as lucky as the people that purchased my parents £3k sofas each for £1k each. You could then end up with something far better quality.

Equally some of the Ikea sofas seem bombproof. I gave away one from my first house to a friend and they are still using it, albeit now in a bedroom vs the main one, but it was the cheapest Klippan they do and it’s still not sagged!

Hello

Thanks all, some great advice.

Hello

Am thinking about this,

https://fredmans.co.uk/living-room/a.../3-seater-sofa

Best,

Ben

That’s great advice from Mj2k, no one buys second hand sofas so if you find one you like for sale, you can make a silly low offer and probably buy it.

You surely can't beat Sofa King, for all your sofa needs.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Looks a nice sofa, Ben. Make sure you can sit on it first, that is the most important sofa requirement; comfort!