closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Year Resolutions...

New Year Resolutions...

Well here we go, the start of a New year is upon us.

This year I'm going to make the resolutions and stick to it:

For me, I'm going to be honest to others and finally give up alcohol, I've never looked forward to a drink since getting covid back in July 2021, but I've being pestered and badgered on so many occasions to have a drink and deep down I just don't enjoy the taste anymore, so this year I'm going to tell everyone that I just don't drink and I won't be pushed into having one just to fit in, I can sit and have a coke and still enjoy the social side of being in a crowd but without the drink or the hangover.

And the other one is to get my head into gear and get myself back in shape, its scary to see how I've let my health and fitness go over the last few years, I used to run 5km every lunch time in around 30 mins and weigh about 3 stones less than I currently do, now I'd be lucky to do it an afternoon, scary...

Great plans.

I've never had alcohol, so can't really speak of how hard it may be to give up, but can say that the social pressures and enjoyment of being "in a crowd" are definitely the worst aspects of not drinking. People always view you with suspicion as if you're doing something against them, judging them in some way, rather than just doing something for yourself for your own reasons. Luckily, it's become much more common not to drink, so over the years it has definitely got less confrontational. I can't tell you how many new "friends" I've made over the years who were going to be the first to make me have a drink with them.

Craftsman
    Personally, I found chronic liver disease the best master for giving up alcohol. For last 10 years I never had more than 2-3 beers a month anyway but tee total now. There are a great number of decent zero alcohol drinks available now and I still have an alcohol free beer with a BBQ in the summer (or sitting here right now with a Guinness 0.0 as I type). I know many will say what's the point, just have a coke etc. but for me it's a matter of making the best of it and not changing my life any more than necessary.

I also need to get my fitness up this year (again, medical reasons) I used to do 64 lengths of the local pool before work but from lockdon began back in 2020, thinks have gone a bit pear shaped (literally).

Yep, I've not been a drinker since 31 and finished playing rugby. Since I hit 50 last year I've decided to do a physical challenge each year.

Last year 2023 I took up cycling and cycled from coast to coast, west to east .

This year, 2024, I'm going to cycle the hebridean way, south to north, carrying my gear with me

Also still plan to get a golf handicap

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

1. Try to survive until next New Year's Eve (pulmonary fibrosis).
    2. Lose about 50 pounds even though I am not able to exercise, or even walk. My gut is out of control!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    2. Lose about 50 pounds even though I am not able to exercise, or even walk. My gut is out of control!
    Hey Tom HNY I remember your post re health a while back and I think I speak for all when I say we are delighted you are still with us and hopefully will be around this time next year sir.

With regards New Year resolutions.

I finally gave up alcohol mid November and don’t miss it whatsoever and feel so much better and sleep through and the weight is slowly coming off which is nice, I won’t be pressured into having a social drink and I will fight hard internally not to have a relapse when someone pushes my buttons, I’ve developed a taste for Fruit smoothies, this from someone you would never catch eating and apple or slice of pineapple and I didn’t even know what a goji berry was so win win.

And finally after 35 + years as a seasoned swearer it must stop as I realised my boys in their early to mid 20’s also now swear with flair I blame myself and it really is unnecessary so I will teach myself to say ‘flipping heck’ and ‘what a twit’.

Happy New Year guys.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Keep fighting it and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    HNY to all.

I don't have many resolutions, to be honest. As i told a few here in PMs: I've sold the workshop. I am 66 this year and that's old enough to pass it on. Yesterday was the last day. The mechanics that work in the shop are the new owners. Or better: my LTD sold it to their LTD. A sound company with a few hundred customers in total a large number is a 'returning customer'. I have decided to stay away from the shop for a few weeks or so I see that as a polite thing. We discussed that among the three of us. In all those years, there was never a harsh word.

So, when in the future I write 'my', one should read 'their'. And I'm not serving coffee there, I'm only in to drink theirs.

It gives me more spare time. My own cars are waiting in my own workshop. One Saab is perfect, one of the others is getting there: I sorted out the front end of the electrics and everything behind the dash. The third car is just a body, or as my wife says: 'a car...cass'.
    Last edited by thieuster; 1st January 2024 at 10:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My resolution is to finally exit my voluntary roles. Last one will be done this month.

Also to spend a bit more money on us doing stuff.

Blog Entries
    I don’t usually do NY resolutions, but this year will be less beer, more swimming.

…& fewer watches.

z

Master
    1/ drink less Guinness
    2/ lose 1 stone, there mostly due to the Guinness lol
    3/ more home cooking / less takeaway

Master
    Lose a bit of heft
    Moderate the beers,
    Drive my V8 with my V8 mates to NordKapp and back, went to Stelvio last year
    Eagles Nest and Dachau
    Sell my house and move.
    Work Less and Live More.

Master
    Mine is to get divorced. Got married in May and it was a mistake big time. I’ve never met a more narcissistic woman that consistently belittles me and makes me doubt waking up is a good thing.
    But.
    I hope you all have a great new year !!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Mine is to get divorced. Got married in May and it was a mistake big time. I’ve never met a more narcissistic woman that consistently belittles me and makes me doubt waking up is a good thing.
    But.

Welcome to modern woman, enjoy

Probably similar to many middle-aged men who used to be incredibly slim and fit but have let themselves go a little over recent years: eat (and drink) less, and move more!

Try to ween myself off the circular doom vortex that is YouTube.

Weighed myself this am. I am the heaviest I've ever been. So fasting it is for me - 1 meal a day until I've shed 35 kilos

Grand Master
    New Year Resolutions last a month or so for the vast majority.

Default setting is then activated very soon after.

Craftsman
    But.

Good luck with that, she sounds like a nightmare. Being single is brilliant, I can highly recommend it! My New Years resolution is have lots of friends and remain single.

Just over a year ago I had surgery for prostate cancer. Since then I have lost 12kg and got very much fitter than I've been for a long time. I even went on a cycling holiday across South East Asia. My resolution is to maintain my weight, continue my exercise regime, work as little as possible, and have more adventures. Live life and stop work getting in the way!

But.

Best of luck for the process once the initial 12 months are up and you can get going.

Youre lucky to have found out and accepted it so soon. Can get on with your life so much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Weighed myself this am. I am the heaviest I've ever been. So fasting it is for me - 1 meal a day until I've shed 35 kilos
    I am not sure this is such a good idea. Losing 35 kg is fine but best done under controlled conditions, combined with a healthier lifestyle (food, exercise). And take your time to get there or you will pile them back up even faster. You need a complete lifestyle change that you can sustain beyond getting to your target weigth
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Lose a bit of heft
    Moderate the beers,
    Drive my V8 with my V8 mates to NordKapp and back, went to Stelvio last year
    Eagles Nest and Dachau
    Sell my house and move.
    Work Less and Live More.
    I really like your choices...good luck!

But.
    Get out FAST!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Just over a year ago I had surgery for prostate cancer. Since then I have lost 12kg and got very much fitter than I've been for a long time. I even went on a cycling holiday across South East Asia. My resolution is to maintain my weight, continue my exercise regime, work as little as possible, and have more adventures. Live life and stop work getting in the way!
    Here, here!

I don't drink (nurse a screwdriver at events)

Stopped smoking when I had a tooth pulled 6 years ago (can't smoke for 24-48 hours) and never had the urge after that

Gained 25 pounds (1.78 stone) and walk each morning for about 1.5 miles, but the weight likes me too much to leave, but I'll keep trying

Master
    4096x2160

Craftsman
    Get below 80kg and stay there. I did it last year and then celebrated and continued until now! Haha

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    35kgs! That's 5 stone.

As per pp, and assuming this is serious, think you should be a lot more measured in how you approach this.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 1st January 2024 at 21:56.