closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ice Bath/plunge pool

Ice Bath/plunge pool

I was wondering if anyone here has one and what the benefits they feel? I been suffering with my knees lately and now have a home gym and have read a lot about the benefits for your joints, but is it all hype.

Love any feedback.

Rich

Grand Master
    I used to use one when I was a competitive athlete, and it's difficult to tell if it made me recover any quicker or feel any better, but the process was always agonising and not something I enjoyed personally.
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    My understanding is there are no measurable benefits but some still like it …

Isn't the thinking/ science that much like RICE for a sprain the cold reduces inflammation/bruising so aids muscle recovery...Never used an ice bath but do jump in the sea sometimes after a run which does to my mind reduce aches in the legs the next day, obvs not the spring/ summer months.

Grand Master
    It's a long time since I took sport seriously and trained hard, long before the plunge pool concept had been developed. There's no way I`d get in one, getting into cold water is unpleasant to say the least.

OP doesn`t say what training he's doing and whether that's putting too much stress on his knees, at 65 I now have to limit what I do in the gym to safeguard against further knee problems. I manage to run a 2-3 times/week and take ibuprofen on the running days, this definitely helps.

Even though it goes against current thinking I still enjoy a soak in a warm bath after running, particularly in winter, I find it relaxes the muscles and unlike the plunge pool it's a pleasant experience.

There’s apparently a lot of benefits (listen to some of the Huberman podcasts on the topic) both physically and mentally. Combined with heat therapy (sauna) it’s supposed to have a number of effects relating to growth hormones, heat shock proteins etc.

I’ve got one of the Lumi plunger baths as Mrs Tiny is nursing a long term back injury that she hoped would be improved by it. She’s on the fence as to whether it’s made any difference. I on the other hand love it. I do 3 mins first thing in the morning (coffee machine on, dip, back up and shower) every day and really enjoy the feeling, it feels amazing getting into a hot shower after and you have a warm glow for the rest of the day.

Master
    I've never tried it. But when I had a cycling knee injury years ago the physio I was seeing told me that they help joint injuries to recover more quickly. In my case she recommended an ice pack before a warm bath. It's the transition from cold to warm that's the key thing, supposedly. Improves the flow of blood to the injured area.

Craftsman
    Last year, my dog ran across a frozen lake and fell in. I had to strip off and go get him by breaking a path with a life ring.
    Friends on the bank held the other end of the life ring line to pull me out in case I got in trouble.

Due to adrenaline, it didn't seem too bad at the time, although it was truly exhausting.
    Anyway, the dog and I were fine, although I was cut to bits by the ice.

The thought of getting into water that temperature water again just for the sake of it is not something I fancy.

Living near the coast, a bunch of nutters do a Christmas day swim here. Again, I have found I prefer eating pigs in blankets and opening presents :)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    There’s apparently a lot of benefits (listen to some of the Huberman podcasts on the topic) both physically and mentally. Combined with heat therapy (sauna) it’s supposed to have a number of effects relating to growth hormones, heat shock proteins etc.

I’ve got one of the Lumi plunger baths as Mrs Tiny is nursing a long term back injury that she hoped would be improved by it. She’s on the fence as to whether it’s made any difference. I on the other hand love it. I do 3 mins first thing in the morning (coffee machine on, dip, back up and shower) every day and really enjoy the feeling, it feels amazing getting into a hot shower after and you have a warm glow for the rest of the day.
    Like the winter swim effect or getting out of a warm pool, roll in the snow then back in the pool! Invigorating.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th December 2023 at 11:15.

Didn't exist when I was playing regularly but got the opportunity (ha!) to try it when I played a sort of alumni game against the younger generation of the team in my early thirties.
    I am prepared to accept the science that it helps the recovery. We took it as one more dare and while it makes for memories I don't think anyone enjoyed it.
    As to the recovery... I hate to think how bad that would had been without, it it's supposed to have helped.

However there is new evidence that it is extremely helpful in a different way, to prevent or delay the advent of Alzheimer. So be prepared to have a daily treat whenever your children put you in a care.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Didn't exist when I was playing regularly but got the opportunity (ha!) to try it when I played a sort of alumni game against the younger generation of the team in my early thirties.
    I am prepared to accept the science that it helps the recovery. We took it as one more dare and while it makes for memories I don't think anyone enjoyed it.
    As to the recovery... I hate to think how bad that would had been without, it it's supposed to have helped.

However there is new evidence that it is extremely helpful in a different way, to prevent or delay the advent of Alzheimer. So be prepared to have a daily treat whenever your children put you in a care.
    Too late by the time you´re in requirement of care I would think, judging by my Mum poor thing...Cold plunges, crosswords, exercise and watch the booze through our 40´s, 50´s, 60´s, 70´s...it´ll sure feel like eternity!

Though fwiw daily exercise her whole life didn´t help my Mum with the Alz, nor being a virtual teetotal. Genes.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th December 2023 at 11:30.

Can’t speak for joints but I put my shower the coldest it will go for a good minute or two at the end and always feel better for it.

Sounds stupid but might be worth getting in a fully cold bath a few times to see how you get on, especially if you’re not on a meter.

I listened to a R4 programme about this subject a few weeks ago;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001s5hc

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Can’t speak for joints but I put my shower the coldest it will go for a good minute or two at the end and always feel better for it.

Sounds stupid but might be worth getting in a fully cold bath a few times to see how you get on, especially if you’re not on a meter.
    It's a half measure. You need (a lot of) ice cubes in the bath.

However I readily accept that a shower set on cold is invigorating (I will not go as far as saying it's enjoyable, though, while the after effects may be)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

F that.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It's a half measure. You need (a lot of) ice cubes in the bath.

However I readily accept that a shower set on cold is invigorating (I will not go as far as saying it's enjoyable, though, while the after effects may be)
    Definitely a half measure. I was looking at ice baths before until I realised I’ve never once filled the bath up cold and until I do I have no business looking to spend money on another gadget.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a hot bath for the first time in ages yesterday. The one where you go in an inch at a time. I forgot how amazing and relaxed you feel after it. wish I never had a meter fitted now when we moved in.

Had a couple of cold showers last year when the boiler packed in. Horrible and painful while in it but it does make you feel highly alert after it. I'm not sure how this going from freezing cold baths to red hot saunas can be good for your heart.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When I lived on the Suffolk coast I swam in the sea with a group of friends all year round - in the colder months it was invigorating and very enjoyable. In general I felt much better for doing it. I've tried cold showers as an alternative but can't bear them. Getting into an ice bath might be more agreeable but I haven't tried one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think there is a lot of comment on this matter, in terms of scientific research I believe there is no proven benefit beyond the feel good factor for those who like the process. For those who like it or find it invigorating then it’s good but no proven performance or recovery benefit.

I admit some of your comments not on your life is how I feel, but from what I have read around helping with muscle soreness but joint arch is what is swaying me.

thanks E_2_Right-Force I am going to listen to the bbc podcast on it and also look into what Huberman podcast on it.

I am looking at the cheap ones top start with to see how I like it, so may just take the plunge.....and see as they getting cheap on amazon.

Thanks for your thoughts chaps.

Rich

No direct experience but a friend suffers with eczema and a recent undertaking to daily cold pool plunges are working wonders for his skin (and mental health, though that might be a knock-on by product)

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    I admit some of your comments not on your life is how I feel, but from what I have read around helping with muscle soreness but joint arch is what is swaying me.

thanks E_2_Right-Force I am going to listen to the bbc podcast on it and also look into what Huberman podcast on it.

I am looking at the cheap ones top start with to see how I like it, so may just take the plunge.....and see as they getting cheap on amazon.

Thanks for your thoughts chaps.

Rich
    The lumi are reasonable and their customer service is extraordinary. I’ve also fitted a cheap swimming pool pump to circulate and aerate the water every few days, stops it smelling when you take the lid off.

For Huberman he’s got a number of episodes on both heat and cold protocols, the science behind them (there’s lots relating to dopamine, Adrenalin release, brown fat activation etc. all very interesting and a fair bit of active research in the area). Just search his podcasts for “deliberate cold” for the best results.
    Last edited by tiny73; 28th December 2023 at 10:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Definitely a half measure. I was looking at ice baths before until I realised I’ve never once filled the bath up cold and until I do I have no business looking to spend money on another gadget.
    That has grounded me in no longer considering lol, thank you!

Bloody love a cold plunge after a sauna though, a cold shower never hits the mark.

well order the Lumi, they are down the road in Devon from us and with the discount code was cheaper than the amazon ones. Well lets see if I can man up once out comes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    F that.
    My sentiments exactly!

😁
    So clever my foot fell off.