53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue Sky

18 33.96%
  • White Daytona

35 66.04%

Thread: Mr Blue Sky Vs Mr White C

Grand Master

Mr Blue Sky Vs Mr White C

Two of the very best stainless steel watches that Rolex produce.

There I said it, now before you impart your opinions and observations all I ask is that don't decide just because the Daytona has got all the hype or just because you think the Daytona is regarded as the grail watch you need to consider the following on both of them and I'd be interested to know your personal opinions too with logic and common sense and without bias. If you are an owner and for the record I do one of these watches, and would gladly have both of these watches at any point in time.

Daytona

The Daytona is an icon it's been around forever and I think the fact it's been around forever it has stood the test of time and one of the reasons it is so popular is due to its rarity. That said it used to be the most expensive steel sports model available and had no competition close to it, it's just one of several steel sports models that sits in the same price range and when you look at the functionality with the exception of timing how long your dog walks are or how long an egg has been boiling, I doubt many of us use it for its intended purpose as a chronograph in racing circles. it's a delicate watch to wear, some would argue that it is the perfect size and just sits beautifully on the wrist and I agree you forget that you are wearing a Daytona which is good or bad?

Skydweller

The sky dweller came onto the scene and was always going to be overshadowed by history. However, let's look at the sky dweller functionality wise absolutely fantastic. Disregard the GMT that is available on other models just that calendar alone, having the complication of a date and not only a date a date you never need to reset is just great And that rotating bezel makes setting the watch one of the most technical easy things to do. With a need to add onto that that it is a slightly larger watch which has more presents. It has the white gold bezel which has more value and then we look at that blue dial which is absolutely the best Rolex I've ever Produced Then make your decision.

No, I'm not for one minute suggesting that one is better than the other for whatever reason I'm just saying what would you prefer in terms of fit form function! and as they are both the same price and both trade for a similar price over RRP could the sky dweller be the future Daytona? Is the Daytona a little bit dated now a little bit small? Is it time that we saw a 42mm Daytona perhaps with a blue dial in it and maybe a date? It's the only way it could compete moving forward because the next generation of watch lovers are starting to lose the love for the classic icon but what is taking the crown!

Your constructive comments (remember its not money) are appreciated.

Last edited by 100thmonkey; 24th December 2023 at 13:52.
    RIAC

Master
    Daytona mainly on size.
    Perfect size for my wrist where as the SD needs a decent size of wrist or it looks ludicrous IMO.
    Nice coloured dial on the blue SD though

I thought the Sky-D was a bargain when introduced ( £10600 I think ) for a Complicated watch from Rolex.
    The Daytona is beautiful but I prefer the older non ceramic versions.

If I could only keep one… and ignoring any differences in monetary value.. I’d keep my Blue Sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytona for me. Wanted the SkyDweller for years after initially dismissing it as a DateJust on steroids, even paid grey to get one, only to sell it after a week or two later for being a DateJust on steroids.

Daytona for me, just looks classy with its white dial.

Don't like the blue one at all.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Sky Dweller by a country mile.

I don't like Rolex and I'm not a big fan of either watch so I feel as though I can be objective and take these watches as they are. The blue dial on the Sky Dweller is gorgeous and the complication adds that little extra. The Daytona, while no doubt a superb watch, has been imitated to death and if you blur the photo a bit it could just as well be a Seiko. The Sky Dweller does look a bit bulky so I can understand the comments from other forum users about size but I just prefer the Sky Dweller design.

I have had a Dayton albeit black dial and an earlier version. I had it as a grail watch for 10 years+ and it lasted 3 months when I finally realised the dream. This was mainly due to the wrist presence not being what I imagined it would be, sSo I am not hugely going to pour superlatives over another one even if it is the latest iteration.

Never owned a Skydweller and to confuse the situation further, I do not do blue dialled watches of any flavour from anybody - just do not like blue. Had it been a white dial then I would be interested. Love the complication and (although only from photos) it looks to have a decent wrist presence.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Daytona for me. Not a lot I do not like about it and would happily take one at (I know I know) retail.

Master
    Daytona by a country mile IMO.
    Very elegant on the wrist vs. the SkyD and an iconic design.

Black Sky-D, and White Daytona - money/value aside, I’d take the Sky-Dweller first, and likely on jubilee.
    It's just a matter of time...

Another one for the Daytona . I own an older 16520 and the case compared to the sd has better proportions size wise to the eye, for me 40 mm is the sweet spot.I do enjoy the dial on the blue sd but would have preferred to have a lacquered dial in blue similar to the JC but without the fade,, now that would have been a head turner. As to the complications of both watches I do enjoy the interaction of activating the chronograph. If only to time the Sunday walk.
    Both stunning watches and to clarify I’ve owned 2 SD’s

Master
    White Daytona..easily.

Craftsman
    Neither are amongst my favourite Rolex's but I'd take the Daytona.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Neither favourites, but I would wear the Daytona, and I do respect it. The Sky Dweller is very accomplished, but the wrong side of vulgar for me. I would never wear it, just not to my taste.

Dave

Of those two particularly;
    Daytona. Easy.

I've never been able to warm to the Daytona. I've owned a couple but moved them on eventually - they photograph spectacularly and are obviously an iconic design but for me too hard to read and a chrono function isn't something I need (or ever used due to the need to unscrew the pushers first). They're also (for me) a bit small.

I'm more of a GMT fan and I love the complexity of the Sky-Dweller movement, even if it's only a bit easier than the Daytona to read! You do need largish wrists for it not to look silly though. I try to save mine for special occasions and it does feel special when I wear it :-).

The skydweller would look nicer with less text on the dial.

SkyD for me (I'm waiting on a Mint). I own the Daisy but never wear it, I find it to small (even on my 6.75"). No doubt I'll find the SkyD too large in practice, but it's an itch I need to scratch - I do like the added complications.

SkyDweller is the winner for me.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Daytona's, it's the pushers, they just don't do it for me. The SkyDweller would probably be too big for my wrist, but I think it's a superb looking watch and the way you set it with the bezel is excellent.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Whilst mine is a different combo, it was my only choice for a watch for my 50th this year. The way the Jubilee catches the light and the bezel sparkles. Sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    SkyD for me (I'm waiting on a Mint). I own the Daisy but never wear it, I find it to small (even on my 6.75"). No doubt I'll find the SkyD too large in practice, but it's an itch I need to scratch - I do like the added complications.
    Also waiting on the mint.

The Daytona is a little small for me, and I do prefer a slightly larger watch.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Also waiting on the mint.

The Daytona is a little small for me, and I do prefer a slightly larger watch.
    Interesting on the mint! After all the sky is blue!

RIAC

Master
    Not a fan of either design really, but certainly prefer the Daytona. The Sky Dweller is one of those Rolex designs I just don't get, like the current incarnation of the Air King. A bit "what were they thinking?".

Well…

I can understand to an extent, but when you dig a little deeper…

The airking, until the very latest update was a replica of the dial from the I’ll-fated Bloodhound - so really quite well conceived imho. The new one just mashes it look a little more symmetrical.

The Sky-Dweller is one of my favourite ways of displaying date, month and a 24 hour time zone. I think it’s all resolved. I any stand 31 day tracks around dials/rehauts etc, and the only other layouts I’d have in watch would be separate windows - but a simple red block by one of the 12 hour markers to display the month is one of the most elegant solutions I’ve seen. & the actual functionality for setting it is in a different league to most annual calendars

Craftsman
    As others have said Daytona too small particularly for a sporty watch and pushers a pita , also massively over hyped

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Whilst mine is a different combo, it was my only choice for a watch for my 50th this year. The way the Jubilee catches the light and the bezel sparkles. Sublime.

I like that more than the example in the op. The two tone and jubilee seem to suit the style of watch.

Two tone doesn't work for every watch (imo) but when it does...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The Sky-Dweller is one of my favourite ways of displaying date, month and a 24 hour time zone. I think it’s all resolved. I any stand 31 day tracks around dials/rehauts etc, and the only other layouts I’d have in watch would be separate windows - but a simple red block by one of the 12 hour markers to display the month is one of the most elegant solutions I’ve seen. & the actual functionality for setting it is in a different league to most annual calendars
    I have to agree with this, the idea of using the indexes to show the month is really cool. I’ve never actually held and used a Sky-Dweller so I don’t know what the setting is like in hand but I do also really like the idea of adding function to an otherwise decorative bezel. On the basis of both of those, the SD takes it over the Daytona for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    It's the only way it could compete moving forward because the next generation of watch lovers are starting to lose the love for the classic icon but what is taking the crown!
    I really like both references and the one I chose would depend on the collection it was in (Daytona for me currently).

^ If the above is correct (it’s not IMO), the BLRO is taking the crown.

Blog Entries
    The Daytona is too small - screw down pushers would really bug me, the SkyD a tad big - but of the two I would choose the SkyD.

If I had a choice I’d go for this combo as a strap works better for me:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th December 2023 at 10:22.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

All you “big watch” guys will soon find yourselves behind the curve, small watches are making a comeback.
    And before you give it the “nothing to do with trends, i just like big watches”, we are all led by trends.
    Remember where you read it first.

Master
    Steel Daytona all the way, its always been the hardest rolex to get, the most desirable….though i dont mind the Sky D on a jubilee, either blue or green dial

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    All you “big watch” guys will soon find yourselves behind the curve, small watches are making a comeback.
    And before you give it the “nothing to do with trends, i just like big watches”, we are all led by trends.
    Sorry, I can't remember where I read it first. But it was about two years ago.

Grand Master
    Interesting what Martyn said about, wanting it on the strap, when I was selling these in precious-metals. The sheer weight of them would mean that the strap wasn't supportive enough, and that's part of the reason that they released it in steel on a bracelet just to give it more Stability.

The other point of note is that the Daytona has always been seen as the hardest one to get, but a few in the trade tell me they have actually seen less blue dial skydwellers than Daytonas but the numbers are single figure for both
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Interesting on the mint! After all the sky is blue!

Maybe but the 24hr track colour just didn’t appeal to me as much on the blue, whereas it just looks right on the black (so when I had a choice I choose the one I preferred; which I appreciate wasn’t the best choice money wise), and now on the green too.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    When a 36, and most 38 watches look lost on my wrist, I’ll happily stick with watches that look well proportionate to my wrists - behind the curve or not.

Grand Master
    I agree, if 36mm worked id be wearing all
    Day long

RIAC

Master
    Whilst the SkyD has unique and usable functionality, it is borderline too big for many or is, at least, a bit in-yer-face due to the fluted bezel, height, and 42mm that wears larger than expected. It lacks any subtlety and is bit of a statement watch.

The Daytona is the classic 3 subdial chronograph for all things sporting and lacks functionality compared to the SkyD, but it is also svelte and slim for all wrists when elegance calls. It does not need to visually oversize itself to make a statement. Like every design icon, IYKYK.

Aesthetics matter and always distinguish the classics from fashion statements. A 2-seat mid-engined Ferrari will always command desire and long term classic status. An Audi RS6 will have far greater functionality and strong mechanicals, appeals to a certain crowd, but over time - it will never be the Ferrari.

And so it is with the Daytona over the SkyD.

Nicely said

Master
    Whichever ELO would choose.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Aesthetics matter and always distinguish the classics from fashion statements. A 2-seat mid-engined Ferrari will always command desire and long term classic status. An Audi RS6 will have far greater functionality and strong mechanicals, appeals to a certain crowd, but over time - it will never be the Ferrari.
    Odd comparison. I'd be more inclined to think Lamborghini vs Ferrari given your in your face vs svelte comparison. An RS6 is about as bland looking as they come and I'd never call a Sky Dweller bland. Some people like bold statements where as others prefer subtlety and neither will ever be out of fashion, just different horses for different courses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Odd comparison. I'd be more inclined to think Lamborghini vs Ferrari given your in your face vs svelte comparison. An RS6 is about as bland looking as they come and I'd never call a Sky Dweller bland. Some people like bold statements where as others prefer subtlety and neither will ever be out of fashion, just different horses for different courses.
    I think many would say the RS6 is hardly styled as a bland estate. It is brutish with flared arches, oversized wheels, aggressive face/chin, and a design language that is all aggression.

There are 2 issues:
    1) aesthetics (bold and brash - SkyD vs. sporting elegance - Daytona)
    2) usability (technical functionality first - SkyD vs. reduced functionality - Daytona)

A Lambo is aesthetically bold and brash (SkyD) and has limited function as a 2 door sports car (Daytona).

What one prefers is a purely individual choice, of course. But as far as the 2 watches go, the Daytona is a long time classic and will continue to be. I doubt the SkyD will ever be more than a watch that demonstrates Rolex's technical horological capabilities through the unique movement combined with boldly unique, but not classic, looks.

Someone who doesn't know cars wouldn't even glance at an RS6. Sure, they're a beefed up and very capable A6 estate but that's all that they are. You're never going to get someone looking at an RS6 at a distance and saying "ooh, that's nice". That's R8 territory.

If you want to include functionality in your comparison then the Lamborghini Urus must fit the bill? Bold and brash with (admittedly somewhat limited) functionality. Compare that with a 250GTO.

Going back to the watches themselves, while the Daytona is an iconic design, it has also been around for 60 years compared to around 10 for the Sky Dweller? I think that the Sky Dweller is instantly recognisable as a Rolex, where as the Daytona design has been ripped off/copied/imitated so much over the years that the dial itself without the Rolex branding could be almost unrecognisable to a non enthusiast.

Master
    From my experience of both watches (albeit the non-ceramic bezel Daytona) if I had to choose between the 2 it would be the Sky-dweller I’d pick. For me I like the more interesting complication with unique time setting process, plus I like the size and heft to it. I’ve had a few Daytona 116520’s and I just couldn’t get on with the size which for me was too small.

Master
    Skydweller for me. It was a watch I'd never given a second thought and didn't care for at all until I saw a colleague wearing his and chatted to him. It really is bling in a blingy bling blingeddy bling bling way, but my so pretty.

Daytona looks like a kiddies watch on my wrist, lol, too small. I also use the date function a fair bit, ie, I look at it, as I'm a forgetful person, so the Sky wins. I'm a sucker for a blue watch.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post

If you want to include functionality in your comparison then the Lamborghini Urus must fit the bill? Bold and brash with (admittedly somewhat limited) functionality. Compare that with a 250GTO.

Going back to the watches themselves, while the Daytona is an iconic design, it has also been around for 60 years compared to around 10 for the Sky Dweller? I think that the Sky Dweller is instantly recognisable as a Rolex, where as the Daytona design has been ripped off/copied/imitated so much over the years that the dial itself without the Rolex branding could be almost unrecognisable to a non enthusiast.
    Good points on both

Master
    Sky D for me.

never managed to get hold of one but 42mm is probably the sweet spot for me in dial size.

haven't worn my old Daytona for about 10 years as I just find it a little underwhelming when it's on.

love the blue face and complications on the SkyD too

Journeyman
    Probably the blue Sky for me. Daytona has become too recognisable for my tastes