closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Screwdriver advice needed!

Screwdriver advice needed!

I need to replace my various old and cheap watch screwdrivers, and have decided to go for a kit from one of either Bergeon, Horofix or Beco Technic. Basic requirements are that I want a range of at least 7 to 8 sizes, hollow ground, and in a box/case rather than a rotating base. It seems particularly difficult to identify those that are hollow ground, for some reason.

Any recommendations for a budget up to, say, £125?

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I bought these recently from Cousins, really happy with them:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/co...yle-sets-cases

All the best,
    Sanjay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sparmar1 View Post
    I bought these recently from Cousins, really happy with them:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/co...yle-sets-cases

All the best,
    Sanjay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These are definitely worth the money, I've owned this set for about 3 Year's and never had an issue with them.
    I'd definitely recommend them.

Sent from a technical device

Grand Master
    I would opt for cheaper screwdrivers, buy a pack of blades and dress the ends to suit using a diamond file plate. This allows the thickness of the blade to be tailored to a specific screw if conventional tapered screwdriver blades ( not hollow ground) are used. No need to spend a lot.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th December 2023 at 00:54.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I would opt for cheaper screwdrivers, buy a pack of blades and dress the ends to suit using a diamond file plate. This allows the thickness of the blade to be tailored to a specific screw if conventional tapered screwdriver blades ( not hollow ground) are used. No need to spend a lot.

I've not tried it but I found this video regarding screwdrivers interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX1lMyf3K48

Many thanks for the advice so far, but is anyone able to answer the questions in the OP? I’m particularly keen to identify a set which is hollow ground and I can’t seem able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Many thanks for the advice so far, but is anyone able to answer the questions in the OP? I’m particularly keen to identify a set which is hollow ground and I can’t seem able to do so.
    Beco was mentioned above for hollow ground

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Beco was mentioned above for hollow ground

Indeed, but not for a set. They look a decent bet, though.

Actually, I'm going to drop Watch Obsession a message, as these might do it for a lot less than thought.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th December 2023 at 10:41.

Screwdriver advice needed!

Indeed, but not for a set. They look a decent bet, though.

Actually, I'm going to drop Watch Obsession a message, as these might do it for a lot less than thought.
    Go on treat yourself, it’s Christmas. You don’t want a plastic box, they never last. Get a nice wooden box and if you want hollow ground, buy the three available and substitute.

Or, buy the plastic boxed set and the three hollow ground and look at Wera micro tool rolls or check out Etsy and get somebody to make you a nice custom canvas or leather roll (ps. Maybe not if for watches -fibres)

Last edited by BillyCasper; 24th December 2023 at 11:18.

Go on treat yourself, it’s Christmas. You don’t want a plastic box, they never last. Get a nice wooden box and if you want hollow ground, buy the three available and substitute.

Or, buy the plastic boxed set and the three hollow ground and look at Wera micro tool rolls or check out Etsy and get somebody to make you a nice custom canvas or leather roll.

Yeah, I'm already being tempted by a nice Horotec wooden box set at Cousins! Only £10 over budget too.

Edit: Also seen that Cousins sell a 10-piece set from Horotec with "parallel blades", which I think means hollow ground. More than I wanted to spend, but perhaps a classic case of buy once etc.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th December 2023 at 11:29.

Yeah, I'm already being tempted by a nice Horotec wooden box set at Cousins! Only £10 over budget too.
    We’ll no doubt you had contingency on your budget, 10% for estimating error and another 10% for unforeseen events. So you’ll make a saving!

We’ll no doubt you had contingency on your budget, 10% for estimating error and another 10% for unforeseen events. So you’ll make a saving!

In fact, a 50% contingency would take me up to the Horotec hollow ground set
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th December 2023 at 15:17.

I’d never heard of hollow ground before and have been using the 10 piece set Burgeon for years.

The Panerai I’ve just purchased came with its own screwdriver and as you would expect the fit is perfect. It is also hollow ground/parallel. It gives you confidence when tackling the screws.

So I’m keen to know what you go for Tony, and how you get on with them, as I think I’ll be replacing the Burgeons if they are as good as I think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I’d never heard of hollow ground before and have been using the 10 piece set Burgeon for years.

The Panerai I’ve just purchased came with its own screwdriver and as you would expect the fit is perfect. It is also hollow ground/parallel. It gives you confidence when tackling the screws.

So I’m keen to know what you go for Tony, and how you get on with them, as I think I’ll be replacing the Burgeons if they are as good as I think they are.
    Just about ready to pull the trigger, Jon… all the decent sets are expensive anyway, so paying a bit more for these only involves incremental guilt

Go on, you know it makes sense!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th December 2023 at 00:29.

Arrived today - 10 piece Horotec parallel blade set in case.

By once, buy right. Added the individual 1.3mm for my Rolex jubilee bracelet too.

Craftsman
    Now to add https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/sc...ec?code=S44239 to keep them in shape ;)

Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    Now to add https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/sc...ec?code=S44239 to keep them in shape ;)
    Now we’re cooking on gas!