closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Travelling to watch a football match on the continent

Master
    Blog Entries

Travelling to watch a football match on the continent

I would like to take my son to see a football match, Barca, Real, Milan, you get the idea. I have found a few sites offering packages and was wondering if anyone has used such a service?
    This would not be to watch a UK team playing them, it would be for the experience of visiting one of the great stadiums.
    thanks in advance for any recommendations, tales of woe or advice.

I've been to Barca and Madrid. Both times I bought tickets on the day from their official shops. No hassle and paid face value too. Barca was a league match on a Sunday afternoon and Real was a Champions League match on a cold Wednesday in December.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Those sites exist for a reason and that’s to part you from your hard earned. Most teams in Europe rarely sell out for a domestic game and there are always tickets available.
    Bear in mind that Madrid have a fancy new stadium so that might be worth a trip. The Camp Nou is being renovated so Barca are in the Olympic Stafium at the minute which, by all accounts, is pretty soulless. The San Siro is in its last season or two .
    My two favourites were Athletico Bilbao and Real Sociedad. They were both noisy but very friendly.

Master
    Yep just buy them direct. My sons have been to FC Lisbon and Ajax this year- just bought the tickets online.

Took my son to Barcelona, Paris and Amsterdam, each time I just bought tickets of their websites, my one important thing is think about how you are getting back to your hotel after the game. Barcelona we had a nightmare then saw the sightseeing bus and remembered we had tickets, Amsterdam we had a hotel walking distance but Paris! I did the most stupid thing in my life, couldn’t get a cab or metro so went to a guy standing by a merc who was asking if anyone wanted a taxi, price negotiated but when I was in a dark street in Paris in the back of a car that I had no idea where we were I realised what a complete idiot I was. I was lucky back at hotel safe and educated.

Barca rarely sell out. On match days they send sellers out around the streets selling official tickets to anyone interested. This happened when I went for a Champion's League match and they were even happy to sell home end tickets to foreign fans who were clearly fans of the away team. It was no problem, super friendly, and the cheapest option.
    Enjoy the occasion and the atmosphere

Master
    Those are the big ones. What about Monaco or Lazio? Don't know much about them but some clubs like Bayern or Ajax have fanatical followers which might make for a good trip. Who plays in that Allianz stadium. I suspect tickets are cheaper and the food is good in the cities

I’ve done this a few times. I buy direct from the club either online beforehand ( did that for Roma and Fiorentina) or when I’m in the country from the club shop or stadium who sell tickets direct to the public. In Italy they’re quite strict and you will need to show photo ID when you enter the ground which has to match the name on the ticket.
    Would avoid the ends behind the goal as they’re the hard core fans and stick with the sides.

I used to do this regularly. Have been to

Real (twice)
    Barca
    Valencia
    Dortmund
    Bayern
    Hertha Berlin
    Fortune Dusseldorf (twice)
    AC Milan
    Fiorentina
    Nice
    Monaco
    Genoa
    Lazio
    Juventus
    Ajax
    Sevilla
    Levante (v Barca)
    Napoli
    FC Cologne

Portugal international (in Lisbon)
    Hungary international (in Ferenvacos)
    Belgium international (Heysel)

With exception of Barcelona we’ve bought everything direct. Just sign up and order online or you can regularly go to ground on the day

Only once have I not managed to get a ticket - Athletic Bilbao. Completely sold out

Definitely don’t use ticket agencies or sites

Local derbies and big name games are often sold out. When I was in Istanbul Tried to get a ticket for Galatasaray who were playing Bestikas that weekend and obviously sold out . Club shop offered to source me one for £350 which I declined. Shame as would’ve been a great experience

Master
    My wife and I had season tickets for Hertha Berlin last season - yeah we picked the right season to commit!
    We went to all home games and it aas pretty straight forward.
    Barring the huge games tickets were always available even on the day.
    In your shows I'd look to the club website and go direct.
    Ticket onward selling is shocking and should not be possible.
    Pick the team, pick the reasonable game and you should be okay.

Craftsman
    Have been to a few Porto games, don’t think you would get tickets for the Benfica or Sporting games but the rest are easily available and Porto is a great city to visit.

Craftsman

Travelling to watch a football match on the continent

I’’ve been to quite a few games abroad, usually coinciding with holidays. Have always been able to get tickets direct from clubs, avoiding ticket agencies, although never been to a high profile
    El-Classico type game.

Favourite game was Hadjuk Split, incredible ultras, £8 for me and my son, €2/beer

Least favourite Barcelona, €€100/ticket and shit seats in the pissing rain.

Also been to games in Marseille (great stadium and fans) Madrid (champions league game) , Malaga.

Germany is next on my list

You may want to look at “mystery away days” who seem to arrange travel/tickets to European games, reviews seem ok, but I’ve not used them personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gordon76; 20th December 2023 at 23:31.

Master
    Echo all of the below comments regards going direct - easier and your not paying a premium for something thats very easy top do yourself

Ive been as an away fan to the vast majority of sought after grounds watching United as a ST holder back in the day but Ive also been to games as a neutral when abroard - anywhere in Germany is a pleasure to watch football (I think theyve got it right cheap tickets and great atmosphere) - Dortmund being my favourite, San Siro is easy to get tickets likewise Barca and Madrid bar el classico are pretty straight forward, Done Marseille, Lille and PSG in France, Panathainakos in Greece, Galatasary in Turkey via touts outside the ground and Ive even done a few in the US but as most have said reach out direct before you go and have fun