closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gordon Murray T.50

Gordon Murray T.50

It's here (just about)
    https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...automotive/t50

I hope at least some of them will get driven.

It’s a bit like the F1, sold out to a bunch of very rich people, mostly in sandy countries, most won’t get used, but you’ve got to have one in the collection

Master
    I've driven one........in Forza Motorsport 7

That article seems very starstruck with no actual detail, or even proof that the writer actually drove it, I’d like to see it up against a Noble M600 carbon sport another completely analog fast car, but only £300,000

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you go on You Tube GM does a rundown of the car with Jonny Smith

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    That article seems very starstruck with no actual detail, or even proof that the writer actually drove it, I’d like to see it up against a Noble M600 carbon sport another completely analog fast car, but only £300,000
    Did you look at the pictures in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Did you look at the pictures in the article?
    In fairness no I didn’t

There's a film somewhere of Ollie driving it, I can't see it with a quick Google search.
    "A man of little significance"

This car really is very likely to be the pinnacle of ICE automotive history.

It joins the 288GTO, F40, and F1 in my dream garage.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Murray seems to have stopped claiming to have designed the McLaren MP4 .............. now.

Master

Photographs of an early prototype have emerged:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It’s a bit like the F1, sold out to a bunch of very rich people, mostly in sandy countries, most won’t get used, but you’ve got to have one in the collection

The F1 struggled to sell out at the time and there definitely wasn't a waiting list for them like there is the T50.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Photographs of an early prototype have emerged:

Arf.

One of the things I like about the development of the car is how Murray used two Ultimas (nicknamed Albert and Edward) as mules for testing parts for the F1:

https://www.ultimasports.co.uk/History/McLaren

And Murray did the same for the T.50:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-rip-new-video

The Ultima was designed by Lee Noble.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    One of the things I like about the development of the car is how Murray used two Ultimas (nicknamed Albert and Edward) as mules for testing parts for the F1:

https://www.ultimasports.co.uk/History/McLaren

And Murray did the same for the T.50:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-rip-new-video

The Ultima was designed by Lee Noble.
    I’m pretty sure Lee did some suspension design on the F1

I had a good chance to look around T.50 PS4 back in July. It is a stunning piece of engineering and the attention to detail is sublime. It also makes one of the best sounds I’ve ever heard from an ICE car. Can’t wait to see more of them!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Is it ULEZ compliant ??

I'll get me coat...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Is it ULEZ compliant ??
    Yes

Okay for Wales (20mph)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Okay for Wales (20mph)?
    When it’s stopped I’m sure it’s fine. Can also vacuum the vapes from the kerbside.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    When it’s stopped I’m sure it’s fine. Can also vacuum the vapes from the kerbside.
    Chuckle!

Master
    I'm in two minds. On the one hand, it's a beautifully built and lightweight hypercar, the like of which may well not be seen again. On the other, it's hugely compromised as it's too small and raw to be a GT, too old-school to fully compete on track and way too fast to properly explore on any road. It's essentially a 1-seater (OK, a 1+2 if you like) which is super-limiting. It's every bit as pointless as a Veyron, only skewed towards lightness rather than ultimate speed.

If I had £3m to spend on a car and the desire to drive fast, I'd walk straight past the T50 and instead buy a fully personalised Caterham (about £70k if you really go to town - fit a 2.4 Cosworth/wider chassis/low floor, that sort of thing) for road usage and a recently-retired F3 car (probably £250k) for racetrack fun, plus another £100k per year for track fees, instruction and an engine refresh. And for all the other bits of road driving when I just need transport, an AMG GT for driving solo plus an S-Class for shopping.

The sorts of people who can afford a T50 won't actually drive them as Murray intended (OK, maybe one or two), which makes me immediately lose interest in it; this is a car purely as an investment vehicle and/or an expensive trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I'm in two minds. On the one hand, it's a beautifully built and lightweight hypercar, the like of which may well not be seen again. On the other, it's hugely compromised as it's too small and raw to be a GT, too old-school to fully compete on track and way too fast to properly explore on any road. It's essentially a 1-seater (OK, a 1+2 if you like) which is super-limiting. It's every bit as pointless as a Veyron, only skewed towards lightness rather than ultimate speed.

If I had £3m to spend on a car and the desire to drive fast, I'd walk straight past the T50 and instead buy a fully personalised Caterham (about £70k if you really go to town - fit a 2.4 Cosworth/wider chassis/low floor, that sort of thing) for road usage and a recently-retired F3 car (probably £250k) for racetrack fun, plus another £100k per year for track fees, instruction and an engine refresh. And for all the other bits of road driving when I just need transport, an AMG GT for driving solo plus an S-Class for shopping.

The sorts of people who can afford a T50 won't actually drive them as Murray intended (OK, maybe one or two), which makes me immediately lose interest in it; this is a car purely as an investment vehicle and/or an expensive trinket.
    I think the point behind the design/build is that it’s been designed from the outset to be enjoyable at any speed. A 911 is a pretty loud thing to be in at 70, I don’t imagine this will be significantly worse, if at all.

If we’re honest, a base 3 series has reached the point where you can’t safely explore the limits on road.

I’m not sure what you mean by compete on track, a trackday isn’t a competitive environment? A manual, mid engined manual sensibly sized supercar sounds ideal for the odd track day! Especially one with an engine that sounds like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

An AMG GT is the best road car I have ever driven, track cars are something completely different

What contra info do you have please? I personally know 3-4 guys getting a T50 and will 100% enjoy it as intended.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    What contra info do you have please? I personally know 3-4 guys getting a T50 and will 100% enjoy it as intended.
    There are 100 examples being made and you know 4 of the buyers? You obviously move in exceptionally rarified circles.

If people buy them and enjoy them, great. It would not be the norm for such incredibly expensive cars though; cars at this price point are usually polished, used for 2 days a year, then put back in their hermetically sealed storage.

As I’ve said, I just don’t see the point, but then I don’t have £3m to spend on a car. Maybe it makes sense when you can afford all the other cars and the £20m house and can still afford to have a T50 as well as everything else.

I know of at least two where they are going to owners who will drive and use them as intended.

I saw one of the Orange T50 prototypes in the road a few months ago, it was going in the opposite direction, at first I was what is that, I love orange is that is how I spotted it, it was very small and as we passed I saw the fan in the rear, so cool.

I am a fan, look forward to having a look closer, in the future.

I was fortunate to have a good look around and sit in the F1 road car a fair few years ago, it was from a Japanese collection and for sale in the UK.. absolutely loved it as a car, tiny and iconic.

The details inside were simple and stunning, a bit technique to get in and out.