closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: FAO resident electrics (PIR sensor) experts!

FAO resident electrics (PIR sensor) experts!

Hi all, we have some remarkable DIY knowledge on TZ, so wondering if anyone can assist please.

In our rear garden, we have a a PIR sensor which triggers 4 security lights to come on for 5 or so mins when movement is captured.

PIR sensor looks something like this (example pic):

This was all set up before we moved in, and there is no documentation explaining how it hangs together. Its probably obvious but I am useless with DIY/electrics.

In the garage there is a box of magic, I assume a PIR controller, which looks like this (actual pics):

A normal switch seems to be connected to the box of magic, a simple one like this (example pic):

When the switch is in the 'on' position, the lights come on permanently outside.
    When the switch is in the 'off' position, the lights only come on when the PIR is triggered with movement.

It seems the 'box of magic' has failed. It tripped the switch corresponding to 'garage/outdoor lighting' on consumer board, either because there's a water leak above (need to check) or the box itself malfunctioned. Flicking the swtich back up caused the box of magic to make a few buzzing sounds. We've never heard it 'boot up' before but it didn't sound healthy, and so doubt its a normal boot up sound.

Does anyone recognise the box of magic and can they be easily swapped out? Getting an electrician in will mean reverse engineering whatever the previous owner of the house, a DIY enthusiast has done, which I'm sure will not be a straightforward exercise...

Any tips appreciated! Thank you.

Id lose the lot and just use dawn til dusk bulbs

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Or hue and hue PIR. For timer and sensor.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    By looking at the pics it would appear that the black box is simply controlling all the PIR lights for timing etc so as they all stay on for the same amount of time instead of setting individual lights as you normally would.
    The light switch is just an over ride switch as you say.
    Your choice is you either replace like for like, or remove the black box and rewire and set lights individually.
    For the latter you might need a sparkie if you’re not good with electrics.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    By looking at the pics it would appear that the black box is simply controlling all the PIR lights for timing etc so as they all stay on for the same amount of time instead of setting individual lights as you normally would.
    Your choice is you either replace like for like, or remove the black box and rewire and set lights individually.
    I'd replace like for like tbh, seems the easiest solution for & prefer them all coming on together.

Hue seems an expensive solution to fix this from the other post.

I have a lot of hue lights but the sensor is something I can’t seem to master. Tried setting the PIR up in the Hue app and even Google Home but it just does its own thing and after countless hours I’ve given up. The other security lights and even Ubiquiti work perfectly, just not hue on the front door.

Master
    Can you remove the box to see the back of it, or open it up using the 4 screws ?

There must be some marking on it somewhere.

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Can you remove the box to see the back of it, or open it up using the 4 screws ?

Pete
    This, just find a makers name or do a search for similar and just replace with new.
    It looks like there’s only 2 cables to connect

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Id lose the lot and just use dawn til dusk bulbs

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I didn't even know they existed! If we can't do a simple replacement, this is the option we'll be taking. I guess, in order to save on bills, high efficient/LED ones must exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I'd replace like for like tbh, seems the easiest solution for & prefer them all coming on together.

Hue seems an expensive solution to fix this from the other post.
    Thanks both. Yes, replacement like for like seems to make sense. I suppose I didn't make it clear enough, the question of the thread was 'does anyone know what his black box is?!' so I can find its replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post

Pete
    This, just find a makers name or do a search for similar and just replace with new.
    It looks like there’s only 2 cables to connect
    Thank you. Was hoping someone might know what that unit is but as it appears so generic I'll have to open it and see if there is a model name somewhere.

Does anyone know, do all PIR controllers work pretty much the same? Or would it be vital to find the very same model. I suspect this might be a dated unit and not available nowadays.

Took the case/lid off the 'box of magic' and here is the insides:

Using the TYPE NO I have found this PDF corresponding to it: https://kipdf.com/in-line-receiver-s...6568b4571.html

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like these are available to buy, from a quick Google search.

Anyone have any idea of a product that could be swapped in for this unit? a current-day-equivalent?

If it is sending the trigger via RF not hardwire - which from the link it sounds like it is, try Wise Controls.

Craftsman
    It looks like you have old tech there.
    It may be better to get an electrician in and replace the the lighting with modern led versions that run off one PIR detector if that is suitable. They would also be able to advise on the best solution for you if not. You could then do away with that old controller.
    If your lighting is old linear tungsten halogen and depending on how often it's activated you would probably recoup some of the cost on electricity savings over a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If it is sending the trigger via RF not hardwire - which from the link it sounds like it is, try Wise Controls.
    Thank you for the pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    It looks like you have old tech there.
    It may be better to get an electrician in and replace the the lighting with modern led versions that run off one PIR detector if that is suitable. They would also be able to advise on the best solution for you if not. You could then do away with that old controller.
    If your lighting is old linear tungsten halogen and depending on how often it's activated you would probably recoup some of the cost on electricity savings over a year or two.
    Yes, I was fearing this!
    We do have one single PIR which this box 'seems' to talk to, i.e. the single PIR senses movement, tells this box, and the box triggers 4 lights to come on for the time period you can set on the box itself (but turning a knob between 1, 3, 5, 12 min as seen in the first photo in the first post). Agree on the cost savings by going modern LED style - somewhat frustrating as we'd bought a load of back up bulbs not long ago.

Reluctantly then, will look at trustworthy electricians!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Thank you for the pointer.

Yes, I was fearing this!
    We do have one single PIR which this box 'seems' to talk to, i.e. the single PIR senses movement, tells this box, and the box triggers 4 lights to come on for the time period you can set on the box itself (but turning a knob between 1, 3, 5, 12 min as seen in the first photo in the first post). Agree on the cost savings by going modern LED style - somewhat frustrating as we'd bought a load of back up bulbs not long ago.

Reluctantly then, will look at trustworthy electricians!
    If it's one PIR controlling multiple fittings it won't be a hard DIY job if you are reasonably competent.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    If it's one PIR controlling multiple fittings it won't be a hard DIY job if you are reasonably competent.
    ...therein lies the problem!!

I am now thinking, as alluded to by the first reply, the get rid of the 'box of magic, and use the normal switch to control the lights to be permanently ON. But use dusk-to-dawn bulbs in each light fixture. It would definitely be overkill for what we need, we don't need to have light in our rear garden across the night, but rather only for 5min when we do the bins each night (hence the PIR & timber combo is ideal) but it's an option.

With that thought, the 'box of magic' could even stay, as with the light switch in the ON position (manual override?) the lights are currently staying permanently on anyway.

Regardless, a professional assessment will be needed as part of any changes, and so to find a trusty electrician who won't take my cluelessness to his advantage when it comes to investigating on his hourly rate.....!!