closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is there love here for the Speedmaster Mark II?

Craftsman

Is there love here for the Speedmaster Mark II?

I’m tempted to buy my first Speedmaster and leaning towards the re-issued Mark II, possibly with the racing dial. The automatic movement is a big bonus for me, though the increased depth makes it appear chunky in photographs.
    Any thoughts from owners, especially around is the dial as legible as the professional version. A future problem may be that having researched the range, I could fall into the trap of wanting a Professional version in future so the Mark II becomes a short term fix. I’ll be buying used.

Personally, I have always liked the Racing dial on both the original MkII and the more recent re-issue.
    The plain black/white dial MkII looked to me too much like it wanted to be a Speedie Pro, in a Tonneau case, and the racing dial gives it its own personality, which I like.
    I have always liked the contrast between radial brushing on the case front, polished chamfers and linear brushing on the case sides. Visually, it makes a plainer case much more interesting.
    I love the fact that these re-issues have lume under the crystal for the tachymetre.
    They're a great watch, and with the racing dial, different enough to not be an entry into a Speedie Pro.

But, if you're buying into the Speedie range because of the Pro, I would think that is where you want to start.

I prefer the original without the date.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

They’re a lovely looking watch, but they are very top heavy.

Bought mine new in 2015 and still have it. One of my favourite Omegas but as mentioned above, they are a heavy watch and mine especially seems to be prone to getting knocked against door frames!

Much prefer the orange to the black.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves.

Prefer the original

But the new version is nice too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The re-issue Mark II in the racing guise is no longer available new. Not sure what it will do to second hand prices other than push the price up - original and re-issue are great, I prefer a date on my watches so bought this 5 years ago.

It is top heavy but never found it uncomfortable. See if you can try on the regular version which will give you an idea how it sits on your wrist.

Master
    Since seeing the Rio on the Speedmasters thread, I am genuinely besotted with it. I love the subdials; just adds a nice touch of class.

Last edited by Filterlab; 16th December 2023 at 14:23.

There’s always been a lot of love for the original on TZ, and I think the reissue is an excellent watch. I’ll certainly go down that route myself should I decide that I want to revisit the Speedmaster at any time in the future.

Master
    Love the racing version, that would be my choice.

Master
    Like Sish said above it will never miss a door frame it doesn't like. Love mine I haven't felt it's too top heavy with the bracelet on helps balance the weight.

The only picture I have right now from when I got the watch new 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Prefer the original

But the new version is nice too.
    Tell me about it

Master
    I’ve always liked the racing dial version. The standard black is a bit too stark for me personally. The Rio is a good balance between the starkness and the madness!

Here’s my Rio. It has heft but I don’t find it particularly top heavy and the clasp makes it really easy to fine adjust.

For what it’s worth, it’s not caused me to lust after a Pro.

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I’ve always liked the racing dial version. The standard black is a bit too stark for me personally. The Rio is a good balance between the starkness and the madness!

Here’s my Rio. It has heft but I don’t find it particularly top heavy and the clasp makes it really easy to fine adjust.

Andy.
    Lovely, and to me there are few similarities to the Pro. The MkII is a completely different watch in its own right, and to my mind a whole lot more compelling.

Is there love here for the Speedmaster Mark II?

Don’t often wear my original but put it on the wrist on Monday and been enjoying it since. People comment on it and cannot believe it is 52 years old

I tried on the re-issue and it was definitely too heavy and slightly too bulbous for my wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dandanthewatchman; 16th December 2023 at 21:56.

Another thumbs up for the Mk II Reissue. Loved mine and found it very comfortable to wear because of the short lug-to-lug and superb bracelet.

I loved my original MKII, I should never have sold it. It was so comfortable to wear and wore well.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Master
    ^^^
    I remember seeing that on SC a few years ago now. Was sorely tempted at the time... absolutely fantastic looking modification.

I find the story of the Mark II very compelling.

Packed with everything that Omega had learned from Gemini to Apollo, and feedback from the astronauts themselves, as well as the groundbreaking research from Project Alaska, the Mark II was not just a worthy successor to the Speedmaster Professional, but as the first Omega designed for space, would have been a far better tool for the job.

The tragedy then was that NASA's fortunes were already waning and the world was moving on from the moon, and space and all it entailed.

While there is a lot of evidence to suggest that Ed Gibson wore his personal Mark II on Skylab IV, there is no definitive proof a Mark II ever flew.

The Mark II remains one of the great horological tragedies of unfulfilled potential.

I got mine after a lengthy search, as a birth year watch sold in the last year of production.

The dial has suffered water damage, and lume has now gone a wonderful uniform gray, like the moon regolith it never encountered.

I wear it most days, on a Forstner 1450 with a 1498 clasp and custom end links.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post

Andy.
    Wow! That is very nice.

Master
    Darren has a Rio in stock at the “ toy shop”

https://www.vintagespeedmaster.com/for-sale

Memo to self , I must stop looking at Speedmaster’s

Master
    Very keenly priced... seen some really rough examples go privately for that, some with papers missing too.
    That one looks good for £3.5k.

Original all the way for me.

Cheers,
    Neil.