closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show me your Hobbies

Master
    Blog Entries
    Apart from watches my biggest time consuming hobby is Yellow Peril my 1974 TR6. Subject to a ground up restoration back in 2012 it does take a lot of work to keep it clean. I just love to go in the garage especially in the winter months and detail the hell out of it.

There are a few bashed knuckles when cleaning the engine bay

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Why thank you! (On both counts).

This makes about 24. Adjust as necessary but ALWAYS keep the ratios equal.

Sieve 6 1/4 cups of flour (sorry for the American measure but you can buy a 1/4 anywhere. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and give it a little whisk to combine.

Make a little well in the flour and crack in 6 eggs (an egg is about a 1/4 of a cup). Whisk the eggs in the middle and gradually bring in the rest of the flour until you’re left with a thick batter. I find the richer the yolks, the tastier the puddings so don’t skimp!

Slowly add 6 cups of full fat milk (I add two, give it a whisk, add another two etc..) and keep whisking until you’ve got a smooth batter in a ribbon consistency.

If able, leave in the fridge over night but if not, at least an hour.

When the meat is almost done in the oven, pour some oil (I tend to use vegetable oil or duck fat if I’m feeling posh like) into a couple of muffin tins. You want to cover the bottom of the well and be about a pound coin’s depth. Swill the oil around to coat the sides.

NOTE* Using a heavy gauge muffin tin makes all the difference here. Mine are made by OXO, for reference.

Whack up the oven (210C Fan) for the last 15 mins of the meat roasting*. Once the meat comes out to rest, put the oiled tray in to pre heat.
    *I use a double oven but if not care must be taken for the rest of the food in there.

Whilst the oil is heating up, take the batter out of the fridge now. If it’s separated, give it a little mix.

After 5 - 10 minutes, take the trays out the oven, making sure you close the door again and working quickly, pour an equal amount into each well. You should aim to be about 3/4 of the way up the well. If the first one doesn’t sizzle as it’s poured, return the trays to the oven for another five or ten minutes.

Care must be taken not to drip the batter between the wells as this will ‘drag’ the yorkies down as they try to rise.

Once the trays are filled, place them back in the oven and close the door.

DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR AGAIN!!!

Turn the temp down to 190C Fan after the first ten minutes. They should take about another ten to fifteen minutes after that.

Easy as that!
    Thank you! I’ve never been able to master them with a rise like you have. Just ordered a new heavy duty tin as mine was lightweight.

You should see our failed attempts at toad in the hole until we gave up trying as was so depressing!

Master
    Semi-retired now, this is from a few years back

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Thank you! I’ve never been able to master them with a rise like you have. Just ordered a new heavy duty tin as mine was lightweight.

You should see our failed attempts at toad in the hole until we gave up trying as was so depressing!
    Keep me posted!
    Meant to say above - it’s plain flour, not self raising.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Why thank you! (On both counts).

This makes about 24. Adjust as necessary but ALWAYS keep the ratios equal.

Sieve 6 1/4 cups of flour (sorry for the American measure but you can buy a 1/4 anywhere. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and give it a little whisk to combine.

Make a little well in the flour and crack in 6 eggs (an egg is about a 1/4 of a cup). Whisk the eggs in the middle and gradually bring in the rest of the flour until you’re left with a thick batter. I find the richer the yolks, the tastier the puddings so don’t skimp!

Slowly add 6 cups of full fat milk (I add two, give it a whisk, add another two etc..) and keep whisking until you’ve got a smooth batter in a ribbon consistency.

If able, leave in the fridge over night but if not, at least an hour.

When the meat is almost done in the oven, pour some oil (I tend to use vegetable oil or duck fat if I’m feeling posh like) into a couple of muffin tins. You want to cover the bottom of the well and be about a pound coin’s depth. Swill the oil around to coat the sides.

NOTE* Using a heavy gauge muffin tin makes all the difference here. Mine are made by OXO, for reference.

Whack up the oven (210C Fan) for the last 15 mins of the meat roasting*. Once the meat comes out to rest, put the oiled tray in to pre heat.
    *I use a double oven but if not care must be taken for the rest of the food in there.

Whilst the oil is heating up, take the batter out of the fridge now. If it’s separated, give it a little mix.

After 5 - 10 minutes, take the trays out the oven, making sure you close the door again and working quickly, pour an equal amount into each well. You should aim to be about 3/4 of the way up the well. If the first one doesn’t sizzle as it’s poured, return the trays to the oven for another five or ten minutes.

Care must be taken not to drip the batter between the wells as this will ‘drag’ the yorkies down as they try to rise.

Once the trays are filled, place them back in the oven and close the door.

DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR AGAIN!!!

Turn the temp down to 190C Fan after the first ten minutes. They should take about another ten to fifteen minutes after that.

Easy as that!

Those Yorkies look STUNNING! Hat off to you for posting the recipe as well!

As a Yorkshireman I am loving the dedication to the cause and the greatest county.

Target shooting looks like a zen pastime.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post

Wife is super supportive and try not think about the ££, life is too short and you can’t take it with you!!

Deer stalking is my relax place, doesn’t matter if you don’t get anything, the amount of time spent in peace and quiet in nature is special and so relaxing.
    I think it a shame you don't deer stalk with a camera instead... :0(

I can’t be the only one who thought it was a gay joke for a minute due to the car and colour. Had me in the first half.

Master
    Being retired and only on a basic pension I was hoping to find some direction of my time. Maybe I'll have better luck on TheWatchForum!! :0)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I can’t be the only one who thought it was a gay joke for a minute due to the car and colour. Had me in the first half.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 unfortunately I couldn’t afford a GT3 race car!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Unfortunately a camera is not going to stop them destroying all the crops locally!

Being retired and only on a basic pension I was hoping to find some direction of my time. Maybe I'll have better luck on TheWatchForum!! :0)
    Rules out the track racing and skiing I gues;, I share your financial lowliness but still manage an enthusiastic pursuit of stillwater trout. I gave up my salmon rod when i retired, but for £160 per annum membership of a local fly fishing club (more often than not paid by my wife as a Christmas present) I have 11+ months' walking in lovely AONB Pennine moorland, bird and wildlife spotting almost beyond belief, and a supply of delicious rainbow trout, specially stocked and purchased from the same fish farm that supplies one of the most highly-respected gourmet food halls in England.
    In the winter doldrums and when weather conditions dissuade me from rocking up at this Utopia, the hobby extends to tying flies thus saving on expenses.
    Basic fly outfit would be easily achievable for under £100 as a one-off investment.
    So definitely not a rich man's hobby, though I appreciate that in your part of the country club membership is probably way above that which I pay.
    Ethically it is you and you alone who can determine if you are happy killing fish, cleaning them and eating them. I have sympathy with those who consider it wrong, but as I eat bought meat and fish I look on it as cutting out the middle man. I don't pay someone else to kill my trout. I don't actually enjoy the killing, but to be honest they make a hell of a mess in the frying pan if you don't.

+1

Currently,

playing the guitar
    the kids - little fu$$kers take up way too much time ;-)
    recently got a lab puppy, he is 7 months old, as above with the time

When finances improve, hopefully in the next few years

Snowboarding - been boarding since I was 17 now 41, I do love it, and I use to go every year but money is tight at the moment, so I have not been for the last 3 years. Would like to get the girls into it, but let them Ski instead of board.
    Cars / Motorbikes - Had a GSXR750 (hence the username) and use to do 4-5 track days a year and loved it, did a few track days in my old Megane R26 that was stage 2 and fun to drive but not as much fun as a bike around the track

Things to do when I am less lazy!

Cycling, at one point was doing 100+ miles a week but with the kids etc just don't have time, but I would like to get back into it.

Master

'Misread title' thread, anyone?

I'm not as exciting as some of you lot so my main hobbies are reading and guitar playing.

I could add gardening as there is always something to do but I really see that as a chore to be honest.

Dot takes up a fair amount of time with walking her through the woods and fields which is usually quite recuperative.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Big Muff!!!! Ffffnnnarrrrrrr

Nice Muff.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Big Muff!!!! Ffffnnnarrrrrrr
    Heh, I wonder if one of those was inspiration for the Mudhoney album Superfuzz Big Muff? :)

Master
    If there is Big Muff music im in!!

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Unfortunately a camera is not going to stop them destroying all the crops locally!
    Perhaps protect the crops whilst leaving the camera at home then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Did you see my post? We just bought lettuce, leeks, and cabbage plantlets for about 9€ and a lime tree for 10€.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pre COVID all my hobbies involved 'stuff' and spending, like car track days, meals out, gigs etc.

Last few years I've changed to a simpler way to enjoy free time. I walk and cycle a lot for recreation, cook for others (if it's just me I'll eat any old crap) and do talks about my field of expertise (IT) to anyone interested like the church, WI, OAP groups etc as I plot a second phase of my career heading into retirement in maybe 5 years with any luck.

I find them all a great ways to think about nothing except the moment.

Skiing, Sailing, Cats and Cooking.

Master
    I only sail on holiday, decided this year I want to learn properly as whilst I can get where I need to, I’m sure I can do it with more style; sometimes I feel I lose all momentum with a turn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Did you see my post? We just bought lettuce, leeks, and cabbage plantlets for about 9€ and a lime tree for 10€.
    Looks like you’re having a great time there, extremely jealous as I drag my arse out of bed for the short commute to the 4th bedroom.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjones3 View Post
    Perhaps protect the crops whilst leaving the camera at home then?

Ie leave the camera and take the .308? 😬🧐

Master
    I only sail on holiday, decided this year I want to learn properly as whilst I can get where I need to, I’m sure I can do it with more style; sometimes I feel I lose all momentum with a turn.
    Losing momentum on turns is common for folk learning or in my case not very good sailors. Affectionately known as being in “irons” its normally a sign you tacked or gybed too quickly. My lad keeps on telling me you have to keep the sail powered all the time , then smoothly does it, is the answer. Persist , you will get wetter / sorry better :)

I was expecting a bit of leatherwork, arduino, or paracording to feature……

But I’m loving what I see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Losing momentum on turns is common for folk learning or in my case not very good sailors. Affectionately known as being in “irons” its normally a sign you tacked or gybed too quickly. My lad keeps on telling me you have to keep the sail powered all the time , then smoothly does it, is the answer. Persist , you will get wetter / sorry better :)
    That is 100% what happens, and I chastise myself every time I do it too quickly. When you get it right, it feels amazing. As I’m a holiday sailor I never really get enough practice aside from an hour or so a day; need to get to my local club.

Every turn I remain paranoid having flipped a hobie cat is such a successful fashion that it required a 2 boat rescue as the mast wedged itself firmly in the sea bed & we couldn’t right it.

Still cannot work out what happened, aside from a fast turn, wind hit sail hard & boat threw me even harder. I think I recall having just managed to swap sides to get some proper leverage on how far I got thrown.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That is 100% what happens, and I chastise myself every time I do it too quickly. When you get it right, it feels amazing. As I’m a holiday sailor I never really get enough practice aside from an hour or so a day; need to get to my local club.

Every turn I remain paranoid having flipped a hobie cat is such a successful fashion that it required a 2 boat rescue as the mast wedged itself firmly in the sea bed & we couldn’t right it.

Still cannot work out what happened, aside from a fast turn, wind hit sail hard & boat threw me even harder. I think I recall having just managed to swap sides to get some proper leverage on how far I got thrown.
    Sounds like you gybed rather than tacked to turn. Join your local club you will have a great time.

To be fair, tacking a Hobie Cat takes practice, as it's much more difficult than your average monohull dinghy; it doesn't sail as close to the wind as monohulls and therefore the angle you have to cover on a tack is greater; add to that the reduced momentum and it's not unusual to see even experienced mono sailors get stuck mid tack on a cat.
    It's even more difficult if you're at sea as waves will stop you even quicker if you don't make sure to tack on the crest (which in turn makes your tack faster than you'd think possible). But once you've got it, sailing a cat is exhilarating.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

IMG_0005.jpg
    I don’t play enough, but am never happier than on a golf course.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Heh, I wonder if one of those was inspiration for the Mudhoney album Superfuzz Big Muff? :)
    I'm sure it was.

The Big muff dates back to the late '60's and has been used by many famous players including alt rock bands like Mudhoney and my favourites Dinosaur Jr.

I mainly use the Muff for my Hendrix type forays although Jimi actually used a Fuzz Face.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I have a few, watches, gyming and

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Sounds like you gybed rather than tacked to turn. Join your local club you will have a great time.
    That is certainly what my internet reading & diagnosis suggested - had been fine for a good hour before it happened; but the resort staff didn't notice any of the good stuff going on lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    To be fair, tacking a Hobie Cat takes practice, as it's much more difficult than your average monohull dinghy; it doesn't sail as close to the wind as monohulls and therefore the angle you have to cover on a tack is greater; add to that the reduced momentum and it's not unusual to see even experienced mono sailors get stuck mid tack on a cat.
    It's even more difficult if you're at sea as waves will stop you even quicker if you don't make sure to tack on the crest (which in turn makes your tack faster than you'd think possible). But once you've got it, sailing a cat is exhilarating.
    Ah that is an interesting insight between the crafts.

Interesting you mention waves, in our holiday last month, I was focused on sailing back to shore, and my wife on the front just yelled 'wave' at me, turned around to see a random large wave about to break where we were (previously the sea had been pretty calm, so wasn't expecting a break this far out. I have never surfed a boat before, but I can certainly say I do not wish to do it again with any frequency. Ideally I wanted to turn but knew instinctively it would be game over. At one point it felt as though I had as much water on the top of the hulls as underneath & my wife's face was pure panic. I tried not to show my fear and just remained calm as I could; was not going to have an oops moment in front of one of the beach restaurants!

That is certainly what my internet reading & diagnosis suggested - had been fine for a good hour before it happened; but the resort staff didn't notice any of the good stuff going on lol.

Ah that is an interesting insight between the crafts.

Interesting you mention waves, in our holiday last month, I was focused on sailing back to shore, and my wife on the front just yelled 'wave' at me, turned around to see a random large wave about to break where we were (previously the sea had been pretty calm, so wasn't expecting a break this far out. I have never surfed a boat before, but I can certainly say I do not wish to do it again with any frequency. Ideally I wanted to turn but knew instinctively it would be game over. At one point it felt as though I had as much water on the top of the hulls as underneath & my wife's face was pure panic. I tried not to show my fear and just remained calm as I could; was not going to have an oops moment in front of one of the beach restaurants!
    Surfing a cat can be squeaky bum time indeed. You did well to resist turning:

(The madman at the helm is a friend of mine's older brother. Both came second at the world Tornado championship in 1995)

Master
    Surfing a cat can be squeaky bum time indeed. You did well to resist turning:

(The madman at the helm is a friend of mine's older brother. Both came second at the world Tornado championship in 1995)
    Oh wow, that brought back the memories even if my boat and wave were smaller!

Will certainly be showing the wife later.

He is certainly a more bold sailor than I, that is for sure; great to watch though.

Oh wow, that brought back the memories even if my boat and wave were smaller!

Will certainly be showing the wife later.

He is certainly a more bold sailor than I, that is for sure; great to watch though.
    The video says the waves were only 1 metre but La Torche is Brittany's best surfing spot, so they start quite far back from the beach.
    Also, the commentary says that the whole thing may have started after one of those genius inspirations one may have after a few (!) drinks.
    Finally, it's easier to try things like that when you're fully sponsored.

Master
    The video says the waves were only 1 metre but La Torche is Brittany's best surfing spot, so they start quite far back from the beach.
    Also, the commentary says that the whole thing may have started after one of those genius inspirations one may have after a few (!) drinks.
    Finally, it's easier to try things like that when you're fully sponsored.
    Loving the fact theirs was a drunken genius ideas vs an amateur not paying attention and sailing to the only place waves break while my focus was forwards, never even entered my mind to look behind lol.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not a hobby as such but I also help to wind this old girl.
    Fitted second hand to my local church in 1836, we try and keep it going.
    Just been up the tower to make it sure it chimes correctly for midnight mass.

Journeyman
    I'm a railway enthusiast, love speedway and non league football

Sent from my SM-A736B using TZ-UK mobile app

Wildlife photography is my Passion

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robd12/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post

Lovely bird shots.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post

Stunning shots, thanks for posting

What a great thread. Would like to know more about Dave's children fiction books, have you published? Yorkshire puddings are amazing.
    MartynJC, also keep bees in a rather low key way, have found bait hives are a brilliant way to replenish lost colonies at no cost.
    For myself, love growing fruit & veg, especially trying different tomato varieties, recently become captivated with snowdrops and cyclamen. Also collect mid century art glass, particularly Erik Hoglund
    Love cooking, just found Korean cuisine !
    Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crispin; 27th December 2023 at 16:58.

I’d love to get to grips with Korean food, or Taiwanese but both feel like they’d need a lot of challenging to source ingredients.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I’d love to get to grips with Korean food, or Taiwanese but both feel like they’d need a lot of challenging to source ingredients.
    A good asian supermarket will sort you out.

If you can't find what you need, drop me a PM and can post you what you need; I have an amazing one 1 mile from where we live & the staff are great with my trying to locate things!

Matt