closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex servicing - UK options?

Apprentice

Rolex servicing - UK options?

Hello

Been a while since I logged on here but I was hoping you peeps could advise.

I have a 1988 ish Rolex stainless steel Datejust automatic that could benefit from a service.

Where is the discerning punter getting their Rolexes maintained these days? It's running, but not that accurate and quite a few scratches on the crystal, I think the crown needs adjusting etc.

I don't really want to pay the £800+ Mappin and Webb have quoted as the minimum, I don't think it's necessary, there are independent watchmakers around who I'm sure offer both competence and better value. However since I got it serviced last time I think Rolex have tightened up on supply of parts. I had intended to send it to Swiss Time Services in Essex, the only thing that is stopping me is that when I phoned them they said they have lost their Rolex accreditation and now find it hard to source Rolex parts (if needed). I presume this applies to everyone else who used to service Rolexes as well.

STS offer a 2 year guarantee and also guarantee it will continue to be waterproof.

I'm in West Yorkshire, would likely send by courier or post (unless there is an expert Rolex watch repairer round the corner I don't know about).

thoughts welcome on servicing options please?

Grand Master
    Try Bill Rice (Williamricewatches), he's based near Beverley and was Rolex accredited until recently (last 2-3 years).

The only Rolex I`d be prepared to work on is my own.

Master

Century watch repairs happily service Rolex . Might be worth a shout. Fairly priced and great service.
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 11th December 2023 at 17:34.

perpetual-time.com - based in Liverpool, Ive used Alex twice recently, once for a datejust and the other a vintage 5513 - both returned in excellent shape. He is Rolex accredited and doesnt charge silly prices for his work.
    Keith
    also used Bill Rice in the past but his prices mirrored Rolex which made him quite pricey

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    perpetual-time.com - based in Liverpool, Ive used Alex twice recently, once for a datejust and the other a vintage 5513 - both returned in excellent shape. He is Rolex accredited and doesnt charge silly prices
    I’m very interested in his work as he is local to me. His prices look very good, although I wonder if he has a Rolex parts account. I will check him out.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’m very interested in his work as he is local to me. His prices look very good, although I wonder if he has a Rolex parts account. I will check him out.

D
    If you find out about the 'parts account', do share? I think Rolex have restricted parts to suppliers that aren't in-house in recent years, I suspect the motivation is that they want to expand the market for in-house servicing for which they will increasingly be able to charge large fees for.

Miele seem to run a similar model for their maintenance and repair operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Century watch repairs happily service Rolex . Might be worth a shout. Fairly priced and great service.
    Have you used them? Not being accredited, how do they get parts?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Have you used them? Not being accredited, how do they get parts?
    Yes I have. They have connections I believe. Why not contact them yourself if you are interested. There was a thread if you care to look about them earlier this year on this very forum.

Yes I have. They have connections I believe. Why not contact them yourself if you are interested. There was a thread if you care to look about them earlier this year on this very forum.
    Sorry, I hadn't seen the thread but I'll endeavour to find it and see what's what.

EDIT: Found it in case anyone else is interested:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...+watch+repairs

I guess the only concern is getting the watch to them for anything over the RMSD max cover, but that's an entirely separate thread - one of about 100 other postage-insurance threads.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 11th December 2023 at 22:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    perpetual-time.com - based in Liverpool, Ive used Alex twice recently, once for a datejust and the other a vintage 5513 - both returned in excellent shape. He is Rolex accredited and doesnt charge silly prices for his work.
    Keith
    also used Bill Rice in the past but his prices mirrored Rolex which made him quite pricey
    Not seeing the bit where perpetual-time say they are Rolex accredited.
    May have missed it though.
    Nobody has given them the news on watch prices going by their for sale section.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Speak to Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking I am pretty sure he sorts Rolex.

Apprentice
    Sorry, I hadn't seen the thread but I'll endeavour to find it and see what's what.

I guess the only concern is getting the watch to them for anything over the RMSD max cover, but that's an entirely separate thread - one of about 100 other postage-insurance threads.

Thank you for your very helpful responses - I thought there should be other options out there!

I followed up with Century (it was a name I had dimly heard of) and rang them yesterday afternoon - I spoke to Alastair. I was very impressed. What he told me mirrored the comments on this thread and on the August one (yes, they have access to parts, yes, Rolex are tightening up, yes, the parts are genuine, and yes the staff are hugely experienced, ex-Rolex etc). Thank you very much also for sharing the thread from August @onelasttime - really helpful.

The other thing that was particularly helpful is that through his networks, I can drop the watch off at a jeweller's in Leeds and it can be sent to Century repairs in their (fully insured etc) 'diplomatic bag' - which means I don't have to faff about getting insurance valuations and gear up for a massive fight with the insurance company should anything happen to it in the post. And the reviews look great too!

thanks for your help all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Speak to Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking I am pretty sure he sorts Rolex.
    He does….

Prestige Time Services.
    Lymm, Cheshire

Blog Entries

I would think a firm would send you packaging and postage to return to them insurance included (for a reasonable fee)? Ah - also just read the above arrangement - seems like they are top guys!!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Alex at https://ajwsl.co.uk/servicing/

He's the top guy in the Jewellery Quarter when it comes to Rolex

Sub's are £275 and Daytona's £450

Duncan/Thewatchbloke is always worth considering, top work in my experience and fair prices.

Really good service. Around half the price of RSC.

Am also in the market for a service for my 16600 so this thread has been very helpful.
    Thinking Century might be the ones to go for, I'm in north London so about an hour way, saves me the worry / faff of posting the watch.

I'm curious about something - I've never dealt with Rolex official service centre, is it true that they will automatically polish the watch / change hands, dials, bezel to get it back to "as new" condition? or is that in the owner's option?

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Am also in the market for a service for my 16600 so this thread has been very helpful.
    Thinking Century might be the ones to go for, I'm in north London so about an hour way, saves me the worry / faff of posting the watch.

I'm curious about something - I've never dealt with Rolex official service centre, is it true that they will automatically polish the watch / change hands, dials, bezel to get it back to "as new" condition? or is that in the owner's option?
    I was in st James yesterday collecting a warranty repair and asked about my 5513. The guy was very polite and said they would replace the hands if servicing there. He said I would have the option of declining a service if I’d already booked it in.

For a 16600 I would just go to st James if you live in London

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I was in st James yesterday collecting a warranty repair and asked about my 5513. The guy was very polite and said they would replace the hands if servicing there. He said I would have the option of declining a service if I’d already booked it in.

For a 16600 I would just go to st James if you live in London
    Thanks for that - I'll give RSC and Century a call to get the lay of the land and make a decision.