closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fleece jacket recommendations - Patagonia, Finisterre or...?

Fleece jacket recommendations - Patagonia, Finisterre or...?

Looking for a nice warm fleece jacket for winter.

It's been a long time since I bought one and I only know about two brands: Patagonia and Finisterre.

Are there any fleece aficionado's who can suggest a quality brand? I don't want to get fleeced.

Thanks in advance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a Finisterre gillette which I've had nature 15 years and still like new and incredibly well performing so would recommend

Craftsman
    Fleece is rated by weight 100g Sqm, 200g Sqm and 300g Sqm with the heavier being the warmest and bulkiest. Polartec is one of main manufacturers of fleece and regardless of brand a Polartec 300 fleece will have the same thermal properties.

Essentially what you are paying for is cut, style, colour, zip quality and brand image. I'd suggest going to your local outdoor store and trying some on.

I wouldn't recommend the windproof fleeces - whilst in theory they sound good in my experience they have the breathability of a bin bag

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    As said Polartec 300 fleece is the warmest, the brand doesent matter so much as it fits you and you like it.

Go outdoors has a BIG choice.

Master
    Marks and Spencer fleece jackets for 25 quid. Good quality. Three zipped pockets are a bonus. Full length zip too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Marks and Spencer fleece jackets for 25 quid. Good quality. Three zipped pockets are a bonus. Full length zip too.
    3 pockets are essential nowadays especially as you get older.

Phone
    wallet
    keys
    and of course glasses

I have a Patagonia better sweater and got my mum the same one from the women’s section. We both find they have loose bodies but oddly tight arms. Wouldn’t buy another due to fit so make sure you try on first.

Craftsman
    Bought a Patagonia Synchilla Snap-T in 1986 and I still wear it :-)

Must admit I nearly fell off my stool when I saw how much they are asking for them now though.

Uniqlo might be another decent option ?

Master
    I rate Montane stuff

https://montane.com/collections/mens-fleece

None of it is Polartec but it is excellent and with weaves like “Thermogrid” the lighter weights can be as warm as heavier normal fleeces.

Berghaus, especially Dean Street range and 1/4 zips.

Although Jottnar if you just want the best

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Fleece jacket recommendations - Patagonia, Finisterre or...?

I was on the look out for a very warm fleece around this time last year and ended up choosing this Rab jacket after a bit of research.

Rab Outpost (using Polartec 300):

https://rab.equipment/uk/outpost-jacket-qff-54

I’ve worn it a lot over the last year. It’’s proven to be very warm and durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post
    I was on the look out for a very warm fleece around this time last year and ended up choosing this Rab jacket after a bit of research.

Rab Outpost (using Polartec 300):

https://rab.equipment/uk/outpost-jacket-qff-54

I’ve worn it a lot over the last year. It’’s proven to be very warm and durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice,but compare that and the price to the proper expedition Rab Belay jacket I was selling and no one wants.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Nice,but compare that and the price to the proper expedition Rab Belay jacket I was selling and no one wants.
    That's a pretty expensive fleece !

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    I got this Rab Original Pile Jacket recently https://rab.equipment/uk/original-pi...ve_uk_products. Been nice and toasty so far in the cold weather. I got it for under £100 online too.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Looking for a nice warm fleece jacket for winter.

It's been a long time since I bought one and I only know about two brands: Patagonia and Finisterre.

Are there any fleece aficionado's who can suggest a quality brand? I don't want to get fleeced.

Thanks in advance.
    https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/produ...3626_color=BLK

I've found this to be a very warm fleece. Best of all though, dog hairs simply do not stick to it. Ideal if you have a furry friend.
    Much better fitted and better wearing than the Better Sweaters which I don't rate. They're a boxy fit and they bobble/ pill terribly.
    I have 2 of the R2 TechFace, one with and one without hood, I live in them all winter!

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/produ...3626_color=BLK

I've found this to be a very warm fleece. Best of all though, dog hairs simply do not stick to it. Ideal if you have a furry friend.
    Much better fitted and better wearing than the Better Sweaters which I don't rate. They're a boxy fit and they bobble/ pill terribly.
    I have 2 of the R2 TechFace, one with and one without hood, I live in them all winter!
    Tried the R1 but found that boxy too (hanging open at the back), ended up returning it. Pity as materials etc all looked great.

Blog Entries
    Free lifetime repairs on Patagonia products. From my own experience with them the service is amazing and second to none.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I got this Rab Original Pile Jacket recently https://rab.equipment/uk/original-pi...ve_uk_products. Been nice and toasty so far in the cold weather. I got it for under £100 online too.
    I have the Rab also and can recommend. The size is very much a regular and doesn’t need sizing up. The room allows for a few layers. The jacket has a lining which makes it quite warm and protects from the wind.

The negative is that it’s makes you look like a builder popping around to give a quote.

I paid £75 from e-outdoors earlier last year.

I’m partial to Fjallraven.

Another vote for Patagonia - also have Rab which are very good.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Thanks guys!

I tried a Patagonia which didn't fit me right, I found it too boxy and loose.

Finisterre however fit me perfectly, so that's what I'm going with. The quality seems top notch.