Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    lol uphill both ways

Du leckst ständig Sfloda Stiefel.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Du leckst ständig Sfloda Stiefel.
    What language is that?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    It absolutely is. It's morally wrong to have far more than you actually need while others suffer but it's also an inevitability of human nature.

the BBC program was fairly mundane to be honest. If you've been brought up with very little you'll know how hard it is to stay on the right side of the tracks, especially when you see wealthy people robbing the system, by legal, grey or illegal means. The vast majority of people won't use violence against others but a reasonable percentage of less affluent people (and most likely affluent people) will buy a product for a great price without asking where it came from. Let's face it, all these stolen watches have to be purchased by someone.

the lower down the pecking order you go, the more extreme the methods of attaining a certain amount of wealth will become. Try to steal someones watch with your bare hands will be a struggle, bring a penknife and it will make things a little easier, bring a gun and it could be very easy except for that have a go hero who might fight back. Take a 2 foot blade and no reasonable member of the public is going to argue.
    What a sad state of affairs to assert that someone is "morally wrong" to own something and use it, particularly regarding a watch, on a watch forum. Is it for you to determine what is and what isn't the correct level of wealth for any given individual to have? Do you have a similar attitude to houses, cars, art, holidays, food... or anything else that you could care to name? I'm certainly not mega wealthy but I absolutely don't begrudge others for spending their money in the way that they choose.

To state the absolutely obvious, some people will always have more than others. Some people will accept this and get on with their lives. Some people will behave in a criminal and antisocial way - there is no excuse for that in a civilised society IMO, whatever your justification.

Master
    I thought the documentary was OK. Not too fussed about the production, it was clearly a low budget programme and the lady hosting must have felt sligtly uncomfortable amongst criminals, although of course some drama seems to have been added.
    What stands out is how ineffective the Met are in these situations. The criminals are doing what they want and when they want. Having seen such a theft in London in front of my own eyes a couple of years ago, I can tell you it is a very scary experience and however we think we may react in such a situation, in reality it goes out the window and panic sets in.
    I think this is widespread in London and it is just too easy for the criminals, they are away before you know it and very difficult to track. The incident I saw was in total 5 seconds and then the moped was gone.

Ever since then, I have been careful about what I wear.

Also interesting hearing from the criminals...they clearly target wealthy areas and those who look wealthy - so that it is more 'worth it'...clearly my scruffy nature has saved me as they would be convinced my watch was a copy!

Even more reason to keep on the iWatch sadly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    What stands out is how ineffective the Met are in these situations. The criminals are doing what they want and when they want. Having seen such a theft in London in front of my own eyes a couple of years ago, I can tell you it is a very scary experience and however we think we may react in such a situation, in reality it goes out the window and panic sets in.
    I think this is widespread in London and it is just too easy for the criminals, they are away before you know it and very difficult to track. The incident I saw was in total 5 seconds and then the moped was gone.
    The Met is definitely ineffective, but the second part of your post is also true: not easy to catch these people unless there happen to be coppers on the scene who can give chase. Which takes resources.

I used to know a guy who was in the Met CID on a team dealing with robberies (friend of a friend). He was honest enough to say there were only two kinds of robbers they ever caught:

1. stupid ones;

2. ones who were informed on.

He said that fortunately type 1 was pretty well stocked. But if you're a competent robber in London and nobody grasses on you...happy days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    The Met is definitely ineffective, but the second part of your post is also true: not easy to catch these people unless there happen to be coppers on the scene who can give chase. Which takes resources.

I used to know a guy who was in the Met CID on a team dealing with robberies (friend of a friend). He was honest enough to say there were only two kinds of robbers they ever caught:

1. stupid ones;

2. ones who were informed on.

He said that fortunately type 1 was pretty well stocked. But if you're a competent robber in London and nobody grasses on you...happy days.
    Maybe more stop and search is required. Especially when you see two young guys on a moped.
    Maybe visiting and having undercovers in those hotspots with expensive restaurants.
    Maybe more work analysing CCTV - which obviously requires resources.

As mentioned previously, a reporter has tracked some of them down using instagram, so it cannot be that difficult if resources are available, which obviously they are not.

Either way, if just adds to the view of many, that London is not very safe these days, whch is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Corryvreckan View Post
    What a sad state of affairs to assert that someone is "morally wrong" to own something and use it, particularly regarding a watch, on a watch forum. Is it for you to determine what is and what isn't the correct level of wealth for any given individual to have? Do you have a similar attitude to houses, cars, art, holidays, food... or anything else that you could care to name? I'm certainly not mega wealthy but I absolutely don't begrudge others for spending their money in the way that they choose.

To state the absolutely obvious, some people will always have more than others. Some people will accept this and get on with their lives. Some people will behave in a criminal and antisocial way - there is no excuse for that in a civilised society IMO, whatever your justification.
    All of the above and I include myself as morally wrong. We all accumulate wealth, as much as we can. Some purely to survive, some to make sure they'll be ok in later life, others to show status. I totally agree that acting criminal and antisocial in a civilised society is inexcusable but so is seeing people homeless, starving and or destitute in the 6th largest economy in the world. One of my greatest lasting memories was from years ago, walking through London in the late afternoon, seeing a homeless person getting set up for the night while a Ferrari Testarossa drove by.

I don't begrudge anyone for spending the money that they've earned but maybe if that person with a £50k watch paused for thought for just a moment, maybe some of that wealth, either during their lifetime or after it, could be used to help someone less fortunate than themselves - instead of simple being accumulated for the next wealthy generation?

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    All of the above and I include myself as morally wrong. We all accumulate wealth, as much as we can. Some purely to survive, some to make sure they'll be ok in later life, others to show status. I totally agree that acting criminal and antisocial in a civilised society is inexcusable but so is seeing people homeless, starving and or destitute in the 6th largest economy in the world. One of my greatest lasting memories was from years ago, walking through London in the late afternoon, seeing a homeless person getting set up for the night while a Ferrari Testarossa drove by.

I don't begrudge anyone for spending the money that they've earned but maybe if that person with a £50k watch paused for thought for just a moment, maybe some of that wealth, either during their lifetime or after it, could be used to help someone less fortunate than themselves - instead of simple being accumulated for the next wealthy generation?
    How do you know the guy with the £50k Rolex doesn’t give heavily to charities all over the world?
    I think you’re just trying to shame others to cover up your own issues.
    There you go, I’ve assumed just as much about you as you are about us.
    Happy now?

Where can I get a Rolex Submareena ?

More stop and search of people fitting the description,
    That’s a good idea..
    Oh wait, hang on🤦🏻*♂️

There's no excuse for threatening someone and stealing from them. From a moral point - is there is a difference between someone who owns a watch as a status symbol, and another who saves all their 'spare' money to spend on their passion for something that they appreciate for it's design and horological attributes? I must admit I look at some of the more gaudy gold and diamond watches etc and have to wonder if the owner really couldn't find something better to do with a watch. Buy a Roger Smith or other high end hand made watch- yes I can see the value in that, but to buy a Diamond and gold Rolex... Hmmm there's a difference there I think but not sure why, both are an extreme amount of money to spend.

Grand Master
    I was reliably informed last night that the documentary was a work of fiction in the main.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    That's nothing.

We walked 15 miles through the snow to school every day, uphill both ways. Lunch was a bowl of cold sand, and a rotten apple on Sundays.
    OHHH Mr LA DE DAH with your bowl and a whole rotten apple.

We had to fight the dogs for scraps of hot gravel for our breakfast, licked off floor and we were grateful forrit. Aye we had nowt but we were happier then.

Quote Originally Posted by Corryvreckan View Post

Ah but how do you define a civilised society...is that a society where social mobility is in decline, growing numbers of working people find themselves worse off to the point of becoming working poor, social services are collapsing and the gulf between rich and poor accelerating with every passing year, is that really civilised, is it a civilised society as it more closely resembles something feudal- medieval...hypothetically speaking naming no particular country- states...it´s interesting...who decides- determines the particular societal construct is that responsibility fairly shared amongst all members or are their elite groups who enjoy disproportionate powers, access, protection from the law even...
    Last edited by Passenger; 9th December 2023 at 13:11.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I was reliably informed last night that the documentary was a work of fiction in the main.
    As I suspected earlier, no credible research or facts just a few characters playing for the gallery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Ah but how do you define a civilised society...is that a society where social mobility is in decline, growing numbers of working people find themselves worse off to the point of becoming working poor, social services are collapsing and the gulf between rich and poor accelerating with every passing year, is that really civilised, is it a civilised society as it more closely resembles something feudal- medieval...hypothetically speaking naming no particular country- states...it´s interesting...who decides- determines the particular societal construct is that responsibility fairly shared amongst all members or are their elite groups who enjoy disproportionate powers, access, protection from the law even...
    That's easy for you to say.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    As I suspected earlier, no credible research or facts just a few characters playing for the gallery.
    I watched Oisin O'Malley saying much the same thing last night but I know he is not necessarily impartial as he is feuding with Paul Thorpe & Thorpe was a consultant to the programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I watched Oisin O'Malley saying much the same thing last night but I know he is not necessarily impartial as he is feuding with Paul Thorpe & Thorpe was a consultant to the programme.
    Thorpe?

Paging Maynard Hilton, Maynard Hilton please report to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Thorpe was a consultant to the programme.
    Ah, that's why it was a crock of $hite then.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Ah, that's why it was a crock of $hite then.
    If he’s getting licence payer money we need an enquiry tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Not surprised. So many inaccuracies.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Not surprised. So many inaccuracies.
    No no no. Submariner is a 20 grand watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    No no no. Submariner is a 20 grand watch.
    What’s a grand? Don’t you mean a BAG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post

quite

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    quite
    I bet their eyes light up in the supermarkets when they are asked if they would like a bag for 10p.

Master
    Blog Entries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4JwlAajmj0

Not a huge fan of Guy Ritchie, but I do like Raymond Smith.
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 9th December 2023 at 23:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Thorpe?

Paging Maynard Hilton, Maynard Hilton please report to the thread.
    Maynard reporting !

I've not watched the report as it has been universally described as rubbish and would irritate me too much.

Many times I have been slightly or directly involved in tv coverage on all the main channels and several times I have been approached to have my businesses feature in the various "Pawn Fiction" shows where cushion-lipped salon-owners wanting to get on telly pretend they are selling their flash before a pantomime cast of eccentric-when-there-is-a-camera "experts" is visited for a valuation. The lack of interest in finding the truth of the matter, the haste to get footage in the can which meets the film-maker's pre-conceived idea and the journalist's clumsy agenda are so common that it makes one question whether their coverage of weightier matters is any more diligent or truthful.

As for Thorpes, it is Jamie whose trail interests.....and a series of similarly-styled watch businesses that pop up from nowhere with apparent stooges in charge.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 10th December 2023 at 02:07.

I bet their eyes light up in the supermarkets when they are asked if they would like a bag for 10p.

Bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Maynard reporting ! (...)
    Thank you for your perspective and light-hearted response to my continuous garbling of your name.

Master
    Would you walk around with £10k worth of £50 notes strapped to your forearm? If not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's easy for you to say.
    Not so much after forcing down t'hot gravel Pancakes today so that's better!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Would you walk around with £10k worth of £50 notes strapped to your forearm? If not, why not?
    Definitely, I'm already way ahead of you. This method keeps my cash for a typical evening out where I can easily see it and access it without all the faff of pockets etc.

Next sensible suggestion...

Blog Entries
    Probably the same reason you wouldn't try to go to work on a £70k pile of twentys.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Probably the same reason you wouldn't try to go to work on a £70k pile of twentys.
    I once sat on top of £7 Million of twenty’s, genuinely.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Not so much after forcing down t'hot gravel Pancakes today so that's better!
    Luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I once sat on top of £7 Million of twenty’s, genuinely.
    This is going to require further explanation...

Quote Originally Posted by stevet1 View Post
    This is going to require further explanation...
    Maybe he is Walter White?

Master
    Is it safe for me to wear that in the shower?

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Is it safe for me to wear that in the shower?
    Ok with the new plastic notes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    As for Thorpes, it is Jamie whose trail interests.....and a series of similarly-styled watch businesses that pop up from nowhere with apparent stooges in charge.
    So no issue with the Thorpe who is hot on watch crime until a watch dealer commits it?
    Then it appears to become a ‘Civil Matter’ and cannot be discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    So no issue with the Thorpe who is hot on watch crime until a watch dealer commits it?
    Then it appears to become a ‘Civil Matter’ and cannot be discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I reserve judgement but don't follow any of his social media ( which may an even greater achievement than this Whamageddon challenge of which one reads ), so don't know to what you refer.

My own view of watch dealer criminality should be clear enough !

THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Interesting and pretty impressive approach from AP, which I knew nothing whatsoever about.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Good read, thanks for sharing.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........