closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you trade a Hulk for the Rootbeer?

Master

Would you trade a Hulk for the Rootbeer?

A few specifics, the Hulk is a 2016 full set and in unmarked condition with minimal wear having been worn only a handful of times. The Rootbeer is a 2023 full set and unworn condition from a grey trader.

The deal would be Hulk plus circa £1000 for the Rootbeer.

Values seem all over the place at the minute, maybe it is undervaluing the Hulk, maybe it’s about right.

The Root Beer is so much better as a watch that I’d be inclined to go for it. As you say, hard to pin it down exactly in today’s market where the Hulk is still substantially overpriced for what it is.

Craftsman
    I would jump at that deal immediately but the Rootbeer is my favourite Rolex.
    Seems good value imo.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Hulk is a difficult watch to live with I find, the rootbeer, whilst it may seems more bling, is actually more understated class
    RIAC

No keep the Hulk. Rootbeer prices are dropping

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    A few specifics, the Hulk is a 2016 full set and in unmarked condition with minimal wear having been worn only a handful of times. The Rootbeer is a 2023 full set and unworn condition from a grey trader.

The deal would be Hulk plus circa £1000 for the Rootbeer.
    Seems a reasonable deal to me but if you think it undervalues the Hulk and the other party won’t budge, sell the Hulk separately.
    Last edited by andy tims; 3rd December 2023 at 20:45.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    No keep the Hulk. Rootbeer prices are dropping
    As are Hulk prices. The RB lists in excess of £13k, and I don’t see it ever selling for under that price. It’s an absolute gem.

Make sure you're aware of Rolex's problems with the current 32xx movements (including the RB) - which is why I recently passed on a RB from my AD. I have a Hulk and wouldn't do that trade, but it's all about personal preference, only you know.

I had a hulk a while ago and sold for 5K !!!!! I just couldnt gel with it,would love to try the RB, its my dream watch atm.So i'd do the deal

Journeyman
    Having owned both I kept the Hulk. They wear very differently and while I liked the RB I preferred the sub. Great watch, dial very changeable according to the light. If you want something a bit more blingy then the RB is a nice watch but I don’t think worth a hulk and a grand, even if the hulk is a 2016 model. Not as wearable either IMO. I got bored of mine fairly quickly. As another poster has said, RB’s are falling in value, there are a lot of them about right now. Hulk worth more, I’d look at the auction prices.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    As are Hulk prices. The RB lists in excess of £13k, and I don’t see it ever selling for under that price. It’s an absolute gem.
    I would not be so sure about prices until next year Tony - very volatile ATM.

I generally go with the 'do I want a change, does it make me smile?' approach.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I would not be so sure about prices until next year Tony - very volatile ATM.

I generally go with the 'do I want a change, does it make me smile?' approach.
    Fair points, both, Chris!

To wear, absolutely, but if looking at mid to long term values, then I think the Hulk will have it.

I too sold up before the mania caught hold - I just never wore it and couldn’t really get on with it.

Id wear a RootBeer - even more so if it came on a jubilee…
    It's just a matter of time...

Personally I think the Hulk will be the one to keep longer term.

Mind you the Root Beer is also lovely.

Go with the one that feels more special.

Master
    Not thinking on values but the Rootbeer much nicer for me.
    So if it's to wear I'd go RB though I think it's a bit too bling as a daily.

Master
    I had a Hulk and sold it via a WTB ad on this very forum. Whilst it was a very fair deal (at the time) and the buyer was a gent, I still wonder if i should have let it go.

I like the RB and indeed the 1675 rb is one of my lad's grails - but he's after a Hulk first

T/T Rolexes seem to go in and out of vogue - I've had and sold a couple of 16613 s

Above advice good - do what makes you happy ... (but me - I'd keep the Hulk)

Blog Entries
    Tough call. It sounds you want to try the RB and not wearing the Hulk - so why not if you can afford it. Value wise you may not get back what you put in - but that’s the watch market at the moment.

If I had a watch not being worn and I wanted to try another I would sell it.

personally I’ve had both but kept the Hulk - I actually wear it too (only sub date I have now).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

That you’re considering the trade means you are done with the Hulk. Trade.

You can always swap back the other way, these aren’t rare watches.

Best of luck either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say keep hulk

Craftsman
    If you are not wearing/enjoying the Hulk and want the Root Beer then yes, I would trade.

If you are trading because you think you would prefer the Root Beer over the Hulk, then I would be cautious as if you were to go back getting another Hulk in the same condition would be difficult. Although, if you are anything like me, you wouldn’t go back, you would trying something else instead.

Master
    Personally I would keep the hulk
    I don’t really like TT watches so would go with the less bling option

Master
    I have the RB but cant wear it, undeniably classy but i find it flashy worn for 10 mins in the house.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    I have the RB but cant wear it, undeniably classy but i find it flashy worn for 10 mins in the house.

I’m the same I picked it up 2.5 years ago from the AD and have never worn it , absolutely stunning watch and even more so in the flesh and tbh I wish I’d sold it in all the madness a while ago but there’s something in the back of my mind saying it’s a bit flash and wrong place wrong time it’s a target on your back .

Seems a fair enough deal though as I don’t think it will be that long before the RB will be £14.5-£15k list

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    I’m the same I picked it up 2.5 years ago from the AD and have never worn it , absolutely stunning watch and even more so in the flesh and tbh I wish I’d sold it in all the madness a while ago but there’s something in the back of my mind saying it’s a bit flash and wrong place wrong time it’s a target on your back .

Seems a fair enough deal though as I don’t think it will be that long before the RB will be £14.5-£15k list
    Yeah would sell mine, or trade for a OP41 and some cash.

Master
    I’ve never found my root beer to be particularly flashy tbh, the rose gold is much more subdued than the yellow gold equivalents

Master
    I own both of these references and would not swap I love my hulk it’s a brilliant watch and I love the colour.

Craftsman
    Both excellent watches, with the Hulk being discontinued this would be the one to keep IMO. Try to acquire an RB if funds allow through an AD.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Both excellent watches, with the Hulk being discontinued this would be the one to keep IMO. Try to acquire an RB if funds allow through an AD.
    Shame that almost all the comments - mine included - relate to values, now or in the future. Just go with the one you think you’ll enjoy the most and wear the bejeezus out of it

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Hulk is a weird one. I lusted for it for donkeys, finally got it but for some unknown reason never wanted to wear it. Sold it for 5Kish here and it's prob my only regret selling watches. Always fancied another despite knowing I never wore it :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Shame that almost all the comments - mine included - relate to values, now or in the future. Just go with the one you think you’ll enjoy the most and wear the bejeezus out of it
    100% in support of just wearing the watch. My Hulk has a bunch of dings and scratches but it was part of a daily rotation until covid.
    My view point on the Hulk being discontinued was the fact that you can't get it "new" anymore from an AD.

If the question had been Kermit (or even Starbucks) for Root Beer, I'd have definitely said don't trade, but sell other watches to buy the RB.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    The Hulk is a weird one. I lusted for it for donkeys, finally got it but for some unknown reason never wanted to wear it. Sold it for 5Kish here and it's prob my only regret selling watches. Always fancied another despite knowing I never wore it :)
    That certainly is odd - wanting another one after selling one for that reason I mean! I've had a 'hulk' for just over 10 years now and just love the colour, it's my only Rolex and definitely a keeper. That said, I don't wear it as much as I used to, mainly due to the attention a Rolex gets, which I really don't like. RB isn't all that attractive to me, perhaps its the 'two tone' Rolex thing, although I can understand why others love it.

Journeyman
    The rootbeer is technically the better watch and an easier watch to wear i would think

Hulk is a discontinued modern classic- I’d keep hold of it, lovely watch!

I’d do the trade, but I’m a huge fan of the two tone GMT, and I prefer the regular Sub to the green one.