closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MWC Watches - Talk to Me

MWC Watches - Talk to Me

Morning All,

I stumbled upon the MWC Divers watch by chance last nigh on the Becketts website. Looks to be me to be a mighty handsome watch, just wandering if anyone has any experiance of the brand of there watches.

Cheers

Grand Master
    I might be wrong!....correct me if so.

Are they telling the truth when they say "actually" produced for the military.Or to military specs only.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 29th November 2023 at 11:41.

The Earl of this parish has nothing but great things to say about one he has
    And to be fair it is a good looking tool watch

MWC were never issued to the MOD nor any other military as far as I am aware
    I have handled a few and the G10 style watches had the tiniest little movement in them

Edit: a NSN being given to an item does not mean the item is issued
    It means if a unit wanted to purchase the item they can because it meets the minimum spec for that item.
    Eddie did similar with the PRS18 I think.

I have never seen a UK issued MWC watch
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 29th November 2023 at 13:31.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I might be wrong!....correct me if so.

Are they telling the truth when they say "actually" produced for the military.Or to military specs only.
    https://mwcwatches.com/pages/about-us

From the above link:

'MWC is one of the worlds leading suppliers of robust military specification timepieces, not just to individual buyers and the military but also to police forces, anti-terrorist units, airlines, mining companies, shipping and salvage companies and a diverse variety of government agencies and departments.

Currently, we manufacture an extensive range of models which are produced under private label agreements and designed according to customers specific requirements, we also tender for contracts where quality, reliability, and long term durability are of primary importance, for example the model shown here reference G10/100UKG is currently supplied to the British MoD (Ministry of Defence) and carries the NATO stock number (NSN) 6645-99-472-3228.'
    ______

​Jim.

If your budget stretches to it then take a look at CWC - pukka military issued watch supplier with a great reputation - dont think you can say the same for MWC but if its just the look that you want then fair enough.
    Keith

Grand Master
    Thanks Jim.

I did read that on their website.

Master
    MWC = Mickey mouse Watch Company.

If you want a real mil watch then think about purchasing CWC tried and tested.

Well that's my opinion.

Grand Master
    I once bought a set of three, a diver, a pilots watch and a field watch. All automatic. Sold them all as for me the quality wasn’t there even compared to San Martin etc.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    MWC = Mickey mouse Watch Company.

If you want a real mil watch then think about purchasing CWC tried and tested.

Well that's my opinion.
    And mine,I wouldnt buy one for a fiver,even the name is chosen to confuse with CWC.

I have seen a lot of people fooled by them on military sites.

People bumping the price up and making some tenuos link to military service that people buy into.

I have stopped giving advice though as its not welcomed,its only us who care about these things.

As mentioned, you do have to overlook their slightly spurious claims to being a military supplier - 'potential' perhaps, but nothing more. A few people on here really do love to stick the boot into the brand, mostly people that haven't owned one... (Bit like me and Rolex TBF!)

I have two of MWC's Tritium-lume divers - a 1000m rated 'Depthmaster' automatic, and 500m rated 'Diver's' quartz - and really rate both of them, and think they're a bit of a bargain toolwatch. Perhaps I've been lucky, but the quality of both has been near flawless - I did lose a chunk of lume from the bezel of one due to my own clumsiness, but when I sent it back for repair MWC replaced the entire watch FOC - to my considerable surprise.

So yes, I do have a good opinion of them.

Sure CWC are the 'real deal', but unless you have a service issued watch and you were in said service, the whole concept of all of this military gear is a bit 'Walty' and best not dwelled-upon too much IMO. CWC are substantially more expensive, and I can see no advantage in quality personally...

I remember MWC replacing the entire watch FOC which has to be said that is perfect customer service.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    As mentioned, you do have to overlook their slightly spurious claims to being a military supplier - 'potential' perhaps, but nothing more. A few people on here really do love to stick the boot into the brand, mostly people that haven't owned one... (Bit like me and Rolex TBF!)

I have two of MWC's Tritium-lume divers - a 1000m rated 'Depthmaster' automatic, and 500m rated 'Diver's' quartz - and really rate both of them, and think they're a bit of a bargain toolwatch. Perhaps I've been lucky, but the quality of both has been near flawless - I did lose a chunk of lume from the bezel of one due to my own clumsiness, but when I sent it back for repair MWC replaced the entire watch FOC - to my considerable surprise.

So yes, I do have a good opinion of them.

Sure CWC are the 'real deal', but unless you have a service issued watch and you were in said service, the whole concept of all of this military gear is a bit 'Walty' and best not dwelled-upon too much IMO. CWC are substantially more expensive, and I can see no advantage in quality personally...

Fair enough if you like/rate them.

Most of us Walts just wore Seikos from the NAAFI though.

If MWC are military watches (as claimed by the manufacturer) they'd likely be offered by military surplus stores as 'issued' military timepieces – but try and find one – and then draw your own conclusions as to why none can be found.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Blog Entries
    They had a few in "Drop Zone Supplies (North Camp)" when I went through this year they looked pure rubbish to me.

But your average soldier seeing them amongst all the other stuff wont have a clue if its any good.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    They had a few in "Drop Zone Supplies (North Camp)" when I went through this year they looked pure rubbish to me.

But your average soldier seeing them amongst all the other stuff wont have a clue if its any good.
    But are they / were they, 'issued' military timepieces?
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    But are they / were they, 'issued' military timepieces?
    No,its not like army and navy stores of old.

Its all new stuff in a clean shop without even a rummage bin.

Interesting comments from you all on this. I have to be honest I have no interest into is provenance as a military watch just thought it looked a decent enough wear everyday watch. I shall carry on looking given the feedback. Thankyou all.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    Interesting comments from you all on this. I have to be honest I have no interest into is provenance as a military watch just thought it looked a decent enough wear everyday watch. I shall carry on looking given the feedback. Thankyou all.

Based on the Earls experience I would not discount them. If it’s a cheapish tool watch with good lume you are after, I think they maybe worth a look.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd December 2023 at 20:14.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post

Which one in particular do you want?