closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP RO 15300 white dial opinions

Master

AP RO 15300 white dial opinions

On the hunt for an AP again seeing as prices have come down from crazy levels. Previously had a 15450 and although I loved it it just was a tad too small for me. Back in the day (2012) I had a 15300 black dial and it’s probably one of the watches I most regret selling. Tried on a white dial recently and really like it. No box and papers but recently serviced at AP, so under warranty and looking very fresh! Just interested to hear people’s view on the dial…I like it, just wish it was similar to the silvery white dials on the current model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 15300 is my favourite AP much prefer it to the 15202, screw in crown and date-change feature to name but a few. I have had 3 over the years and it was only due to the values a couple of years ago that I sold it. I simply couldn't justify having that much value in one watch and on my wrist, I wore it on a week long trip with family to London just after the Pandemic and remember feeling very uncomfortable. Similar to what happened when I had my PP 5167 and wore it on holiday in Ibiza.

The first one I bought was brand new from the dealer and was £6750, which compared to a Rolex SD at about £2500 was nearly 3 times the cost but still quite acceptable IMO. I sold my last one to Watchfinder, probably just at the peak of the madness. They gave me £38,000 for it!

I'd have one back if they ever dropped back to the sub £20k region. Fabulous watch, remember condition is key with they case and bracelet. They will only take a few polishes and replacements are mega money. The pics you have included look like the bezel has been brushed with the wrong grade paper. Not seen such defined brushing on a bezel before, maybe an independent job?! Hard to say without seeing first hand.

Last edited by paneristi372; 22nd November 2023 at 07:59.

I can only mirror what Jamie has written

15300 is a fabulous watch with quite possibly the best integrated bracelet of any marque

The 15300 being 39mm nearer 41 is the sweet spot for me and in many ways preferable to the 15202 it feels more substantial and has the seconds hand which lets you know its alive unlike the Jumbo.

Dial colour very personal choice but i quite like the white and as you say now looking better VFM.

Bezel does look grainy but might be the angle and light as in 2nd pic screw heads are nicely sunken so not over refurbished? But unless in hand hard to be precise.

Lovely things.

Master

Thanks for your views. Yes the bezel does seem grainy, having a look back to pics of my 15450 more so than that. The watch had a full service and refurb at AP a few months ago at £2k cost so would have thought they’d use the correct grain. Below is a pic from the sellers ad, grain by bezel screw at 2 o’clock not great. I have seen this watch in the flesh and to my untrained eye looked good. Hmm, need to think on this one.

Last edited by michael.jaye; 22nd November 2023 at 09:46.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Thanks for your views. Yes the bezel does seem grainy, having a look back to pics of my 15450 more so than that. The watch had a full service and refurb at AP a few months ago at £2k cost so would have thought they’d use the correct grain. Below is a pic from the sellers ad, grain by bezel screw at 2 o’clock not great. I have seen this watch in the flesh and to my untrained eye looked good. Hmm, need to think on this one.

If its a 2k AP service they might have replaced bezel worth asking for copy of service invoice

Some later watches 15500’s are more grainy so perhaps a change of finish i guess if case and bracelet match then its correct to factory

Master

I’ve seen the service receipt and it was movement service, full bracelet/case refurb and some bracelet links. Need to take another look but case and bracelet match. No papers too with the watch, is that much of a thing considering the recent AP service?

I’ve seen the service receipt and it was movement service, full bracelet/case refurb and some bracelet links. Need to take another look but case and bracelet match. No papers too with the watch, is that much of a thing considering the recent AP service?

If it has AP service papers detailing what was done and serial numbers match then it’s pretty much the same as buying a Rolex without papers = price accordingly

You can get AP to do an Extract from the Archives or go whole hog and get a Certificate of Authenticity but as with everything AP it ain’t cheap.

Buy the seller but you already know that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    If it has AP service papers detailing what was done and serial numbers match then it’s pretty much the same as buying a Rolex without papers = price accordingly

You can get AP to do an Extract from the Archives or go whole hog and get a Certificate of Authenticity but as with everything AP it ain’t cheap.

Buy the seller but you already know that.
    Thanks. It has the extract from the archives which costed c£500 in addition to the £2k service, so it being genuine is not the concern, just how much the lack of original papers impacts the price. Or does the extract from archives mitigate lack of original papers?

Thanks. It has the extract from the archives which costed c£500 in addition to the £2k service, so it being genuine is not the concern, just how much the lack of original papers impacts the price. Or does the extract from archives mitigate lack of original papers?

In practice it does, but in reality it still means a slightly smaller market and/or a potential price adjustment if selling. Watch geeks are weird, as we know.