closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underfloor heating

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    May I ask what that equates to per month? Quick Google suggests £8ish?
    Could be, for me it is around 6-8€ per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What's the deal when it goes wrong? I always think it's a great idea until I think about having to have the floor ripped up to fix a problem.
    Mine is wet UFH. The system consists of manifold, pump, thermostats, actuators and Tubing full of water under the floor.

The system was about 10 years old and effectively the whole system bar the pipes in the floor was all replaced with new for about 800.

In one of the bathrooms floor was lifted and replaced to overhaul the bathroom UFH in the screed was left untouched.

So if the plastic pipes buried in the floor leaked that would be a problem but really everything that might need work is above ground and maintainable at prices probably comparable to overhauling a radiator system of the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Could be, for me it is around 6-8€ per month.
    Thanks for clarification. My house has an old gravity fed heating system so only option for uhf is electric, which given the responses thus far seems to be the kiss of death financially. However, your post has given me hope. I'm seeing the plumber later as I teach his son so will be talking to him about it then and will try to get a handle on costs @ 1hr am, 2hrs pm.

Thanks again for all the contributors.

My house is early 1930s build and is genuinely atrocious from an energy efficiency point of view. Think its an E epc rating or worse! I need to get extra insulation in loft but the loft access is so small I'm not sure the material would fit through the opening!
    What about spray foam insulation rather than expandable type

I have a electrical heating in bathroom. Thermostat is set to 1h in morning and 2h in evening. As it is semi-smart, heating starts bit before set time and switches off when desired temperature is reached. Overall it adds around 20-30kwh per month, but warm tiled floor is very convenient.
    May I ask what that equates to per month? Quick Google suggests £8ish?

Seems like a cost that can easily be justified - My Phillips Perfect Draft beer machine (in the kitchen) costs about that in elect each month. (would cost less in the utility room, I guess)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Seems like a cost that can easily be justified - My Phillips Perfect Draft beer machine (in the kitchen) costs about that in elect each month. (would cost less in the utility room, I guess)
    Wow I’d never realised it was that high!

Off topic but their removal of the discount for being a member of the FB group, followed by the 12 a year minimum to get the discounts to now just a discount on their bundles has pi55ed me off so much I’ve not used it in months.

Got 3 kegs to use, but may just get ale kegs from a local brewery moving forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Wow I’d never realised it was that high!

Off topic but their removal of the discount for being a member of the FB group, followed by the 12 a year minimum to get the discounts to now just a discount on their bundles has pi55ed me off so much I’ve not used it in months.

Got 3 kegs to use, but may just get ale kegs from a local brewery moving forwards.
    That is assuming that the pass-through switch is measuring accurately, of course. If the current measurement is off - the whole consumption is.

I must put one of the pass throughs on to the kettle and see how close that is to element rating.

These beer machines are a bit of an indulgence - and I'd certainly not pay £35 for 6ltrs of Tennants piss.

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    What about spray foam insulation rather than expandable type
    Good shout. I'll be looking into this when I get a minute.

Good shout. I'll be looking into this when I get a minute.
    Lots of problems with this.

https://thinkplutus.com/learn/spray-foam-insulation/

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sod that then!

Please do not use spray foam insulation, we have just spent a fortune getting rid of it on a property where it had been used to secure the roof slates.
    To be fair, it had been there about 23 years, and it was in okay condition, but it did not reach the eaves properly, so was useless in that area, and slates were falling off quite regularly.
    It was also useless for a refit of valley and hips.
    And finally we missed out on a small fortune due to the fact that the slates were not easily removed and reused, gaining us a cost offset, as they were quite desirable Delabole slates.

Craftsman
    I have electric in two bathrooms and the kitchen backing up the wet radiators. The thermostat is set on air temperature not floor temperature so the UF kicks in to boost that particular room if the temp drops.

I've used and sold the Warmup brand with no install/after-sales problems.

For those asking about repairs: One bathroom went down, Warmup man came out with an IR thermometer, found the break in the cable, lifted the tile (it broke obviously), repaired the cable. I had some spare tiles and fitted a new one myself.

Don't scrimp on insulation. Keep spare tiles.

I have a electrical heating in bathroom. Thermostat is set to 1h in morning and 2h in evening. As it is semi-smart, heating starts bit before set time and switches off when desired temperature is reached. Overall it adds around 20-30kwh per month, but warm tiled floor is very convenient.
    Quick update. My plumber recons your experience is unusual. Have you got a very well insulated house? Higher ambient temp in your part of the world? My house is diabolical in terms of insulation and my plumber recons I will use much more electricity than this. He is currently experiencing costs of around 25p per hour for his electric underfloor heating in his house. 3hrs per day would be £23.25 ish per month.

Yes, house is very well insulated, bathroom is actually is somewhat in the middle of appartment (it has a walls and door :D) and there is a towel dryer as well. Floor is heated up to 20 degrees only and heating is more for feet comfort than actual heating.
    Last edited by Normunds; 24th November 2023 at 07:10.