closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Question For Pond Keepers

A Question For Pond Keepers

I know there are people with ponds on here so here's a puzzler for you.

My garden pond is around 10ft by 8ft by 3ft deep all round, no shallow areas. I have a mix of Ghost Koi, Goldfish, Tench, Gudgeon and Rudd.

Recently the Rudd have all disappeared!

Given that they are shyer by nature and much faster swimmers than the other fish; and given the depth of the pond I don't believe it could be a Heron attack.

Nothing else is missing, just the Rudd, some of which were a good size! There were 8 or 10 of them, 3 originals the rest bred in the pond. No floating bodies and none on the bottom.

Any thoughts as to what has happened to them?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Otter?

I'm not kidding btw, they're known to travel quite a distance to raid ponds.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    My Rudd do a disappearing act in the cold months and then reappear when it warms up every year. I think they are very good at camouflage, maybe yours are too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Otter?

R

Slightly off topic but an otter went for a wander around Shrewsbury town centre recently https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...n-town-centre/ - so they certainly go quite a way from their natural habitat if they want

I was wondering whether to Koi are looking a bit more portly ;)

Would an otter only take rudd?

Master
    Blog Entries
    May well be a heron,one had a good go at my pond a few years back,I now cover with a net Oct to April.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Otter?

R
    Interesting thought as we're very near the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust's Potteric Carr which has a number of large lakes and waterways, but there haven't been any sightings of Otters there. Lynn and I are members and there are many varieties of birds there but, sadly. no Otters.

And would they single out Rudd? The Goldfish are brighter and easier to see and the Ghost Koi slower swimmers and a bigger meal.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    My Rudd do a disappearing act in the cold months and then reappear when it warms up every year. I think they are very good at camouflage, maybe yours are too.

Interesting. I'm an angler and catch Roach and Rudd all year round in the wild, but it will be interesting to see if they reappear in the pond come spring.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    And would they single out Rudd? The Goldfish are brighter and easier to see and the Ghost Koi slower swimmers and a bigger meal.
    In a large pond near us the otter took out one species (I don’t know which one) before it took the koi’s.
    IIRC it was only the goldfish that were finally left. It also allegedly took one of the resident ducks (some of the fish were witnessed, whereas the duck wasn't).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I have rudd in my pond but they always disappear this time of year, they are very hard to spot, especially as the sun has moved around and the pond gets little direct light.

They'll reappear around April next year.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Many thanks for all the replies, appreciated. Really interested in the posts which suggest they'll be back when it warms up in the Spring. This will be the first winter that this has happened, they've been visible and have fed right through in previous years.
    Best Regards - Peter

Cormorant?

Master
    Interesting. I'm an angler and catch Roach and Rudd all year round in the wild, but it will be interesting to see if they reappear in the pond come spring.
    Underwater camera Peter would be an interesting watch.

Blog Entries
    Interesting thought as we're very near the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust's Potteric Carr which has a number of large lakes and waterways, but there haven't been any sightings of Otters there. Lynn and I are members and there are many varieties of birds there but, sadly. no Otters.

Perhaps they just taste better?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Thread re-visit. It's quite a bright day here and due to the angle of the sun, the rudd are again visible in the pond. I've counted them and everyone is present and correct .