closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another treasure Rolex 6538 “ Big Crown “resurfaces .

That’s like introducing your mates to your wrinkled 95 year old girlfriend and describing her as a supermodel with patina

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    However some people can’t understand that and want to force their opinion down everyone else’s throats
    No fun drinking paint stripper all evening just to log onto TZ and agree with everyone. No entertainment in that for him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

I`m almost as old as this watch (6 months younger) but I think I`m in far better condition. Mechanically I`m still functioning well and meeting design criteria, albeit not to the same level of performance as in days gone by. Cosmetically I`m still in decent condition despite the inevitable patina, I wear my years well which is more than can be said for this watch.
    If I remember the pics of those GTG's you looked a mess mate.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If I remember the pics of those GTG's you looked a mess mate.
    Wrong!

Still running, still gym-ing, not much heavier than when I ran seriously 30+ years ago. Like I said, I`m in far better nick than that tatty Rolex and I`m in better condition than many folks half my age. That's a fact.

No-one's answered my question; what would the price of a decent 1957 Rolex Sub be? That's the starting point to value this piece of tat, work backwards and factr in the cost of replacing stuff and getting it restored. If the numbers don't work it isn`t worth buying regardless of the birth-year connotation.

Buy with head not heart

Buy with head not heart
    That’s how you end up with whiskey from Aldi.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That’s how you end up with whiskey from Aldi.
    Justify?

I make a couple of contentious posts that should promote sensible debate, last night I had my character questioned by Chris 56 who hasn`t had the balls to follow his comments up. Tonight I get accused once again of having drink issues.

Maybe this forum has run it's course.

Justify?

I make a couple of contentious posts that should promote sensible debate, last night I had my character questioned by Chris 56 who hasn`t had the balls to follow his comments up. Tonight I get accused once again of having drink issues.

Maybe this forum has run it's course.
    Either the forum or you.

If one person calls you a cowboy it’s an opinion. If five people call you a cowboy it’s time to get your saddle out.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Either the forum or you.

If one person calls you a cowboy it’s an opinion. If five people call you a cowboy it’s time to get your saddle out.
    Suggest you focus your own issues .

Suggest you focus your own issues .
    I come here to avoid them

And once again (on the same thread FFS) it seems many people are reduced to playing man not ball.

Grand Master
    Still no answer to my question: what would a decent example cost? That’s got to be the starting point for valuing this thing.

Those who are fawning over it’s potential must surely have an idea? If I look at a watch as a fixer upper, which I’ve done many times. That’s how I do it, estimate what it’ll sell for, estimate parts cost to sort it, factor in £100 for my time. If there’s still some margin I’ll buy, if not I won’t.........simples!

Rare Rolex valuation (as you surely know Paul) is an incredibly complex and subtle field, requiring minute knowledge of original variations, production numbers, service replacement types to name but 3 esoteric aspects that are each complex in and of themselves.
    Something I know nothing about.
    Even the simplest of Google searches throws up 6538s priced from £40k to £100k.
    So you can see there is scope to make massive mistakes (or possibly massive gains), and it is something therefore best left to people who know their onions.

Suffice it to say this is a very rare and incredible iconic Rolex model (being James Bond's first screen watch in the form of Sean Connery, and arguably the one most true to the Fleming books)

Trying to deride it (and anyone that even considers that this is anything more than tat) is not a way to "promote a sensible debate".

So I am not surprised this becomes a slanging match, I just wish it didn't, as I too would like to see a sensible discussion about this rare piece. But that opportunity provided by the OP has been ruined by the first response, and it descends from there.

Grand Master
    There's every opportunity for everyone to contribute to the debate, I`m genuinely curious about how other people set about deciding whether it's worth buying!

Whilst I see it as a piece of tat I know others will drool over it, you're implying that my condemnation of the thing has stifled debate and I don`t accept that, folks should still express their views and opinions if they've something to add.

I`ve explained in simplistic terms the process I use for valuing old watches in need of work, apart from the big numbers I don`t see this any differently. Estimate what it'll cost to sort out, subtract that from the price of a decent example, you end up with a number that represents the maximum you should pay. Clearly, with something like this, there's a big risk involved due to the size of the numbers and I`m sure that'll put the majority of people off even if (unlike me) they find it desirable.

One point to bear in mind: James Bond was a fictitious character, he wasn`t real. The film connection adds nothing to me.

There's every opportunity for everyone to contribute to the debate, I`m genuinely curious about how other people set about deciding whether it's worth buying!

Whilst I see it as a piece of tat I know others will drool over it, you're implying that my condemnation of the thing has stifled debate and I don`t accept that, folks should still express their views and opinions if they've something to add.

I`ve explained in simplistic terms the process I use for valuing old watches in need of work, apart from the big numbers I don`t see this any differently. Estimate what it'll cost to sort out, subtract that from the price of a decent example, you end up with a number that represents the maximum you should pay. Clearly, with something like this, there's a big risk involved due to the size of the numbers and I`m sure that'll put the majority of people off even if (unlike me) they find it desirable.

One point to bear in mind: James Bond was a fictitious character, he wasn`t real. The film connection adds nothing to me.
    Given the apparent level of your EQ, I'll spell it out for you.

1. Stop posting in a deliberately confrontational style, as you just piss everyone off.
    2. Stop believing that your opinion carries more weight than anyone else's. It doesn't.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Given the apparent level of your EQ, I'll spell it out for you.

1. Stop posting in a deliberately confrontational style, as you just piss everyone off.
    2. Stop believing that your opinion carries more weight than anyone else's. It doesn't.
    Rolex aficionados are a thin-skinned bunch, I think this thread underlines that fact. Failing to appreciate scruffy old examples is an unforgivable sin in the eyes of some folks.

The price of this watch, plus the restoration costs, are way too rich for my blood despite having the capability to do what's required, but for the right buyer there may well be a profit to be made. Potential buyers will be a tiny minority, but I guess you only need two to hike the price up.

If someone really wanted to own one of these, and has the money to scratch that itch, I doubt whether they'd consider buying this one. Far less risky to buy one in decent condition that's a known quantity even if it is expensive. Buy the best, or the best you can afford. If this is the best you can afford perhaps it's wiser not to bother!

I`ll keep an eye on this one, not usually my thing but this thread has piqued my interest.

Master
    I think a good one would likely be worth £250k these days.

Grand Master
    Watch Centre in London have one at £85K, scruffy bezel and aged dial etc.

but for the right buyer there may well be a profit to be made.
    Considering that aspect is probably a mistake, I'd imagine many of the collectors interested in this probably care little for profit and just want it, either because it adds one more to the collection or because they see a part on it that's in better condition than one they already own.

Viewing it as a opportunity to make money would be risky given the depth of the pockets some of the prospective buyers have.

So imagine you are one of the few authorities on vintage Rolex. And there are a few on this forum, some with worldwide reputations.
    You have knowledge built up over decades of experience.

Someone asks about a watch coming up for auction that is rare and interesting.
    It may well be worthy of comment (even allowing for the fact that it is a live auction, not yet completed, and your comments may have a bearing on the value attained)

But the very next post on the thread says

"Looks like a battered piece of crap to me.....I`m sure others will see it differently. "

Is that really going to encourage you to share a fraction of your hard won experience and knowledge?

Why bother sharing that knowledge when it will clearly be wasted?

It's just human nature, nothing to do with being thin-skinned.
    In my experience, Rolex collectors are incredibly thick-skinned, they carry on in the face of some eye-watering market conditions, and in the face of some very challenging attitudes.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Got some war wounds but would tidy up nicely with a bit of TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Got some war wounds but would tidy up nicely with a bit of TLC.
    That applies to many of us here C, but what about the watch?

Watchfinder have a had a similar reference (6536), up for sale a VERY long time.
    https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...72/item/132667
    It has had reduction after reduction and it's still there.

With the watch at auction, my concern would be the damage on the dial.
    With a replacement crystal and service, at a purchase price of around the £10k mark, I think it's a great opportunity for someone.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That applies to many of us here C, but what about the watch?

Badum-tshhhhh !

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    So imagine you are one of the few authorities on vintage Rolex. And there are a few on this forum, some with worldwide reputations.
    You have knowledge built up over decades of experience.

Someone asks about a watch coming up for auction that is rare and interesting.
    It may well be worthy of comment (even allowing for the fact that it is a live auction, not yet completed, and your comments may have a bearing on the value attained)

But the very next post on the thread says

"Looks like a battered piece of crap to me.....I`m sure others will see it differently. "

Is that really going to encourage you to share a fraction of your hard won experience and knowledge?

Why bother sharing that knowledge when it will clearly be wasted?

It's just human nature, nothing to do with being thin-skinned.
    In my experience, Rolex collectors are incredibly thick-skinned, they carry on in the face of some eye-watering market conditions, and in the face of some very challenging attitudes.
    Very well said. Being honest I can't be arsed to deal with the rabid anti-Rolex attitudes expressed by a (very) vocal minority on here any more. Bizarrely they're not even people who would ever by the brand anyway - just meaningless noise to make a point that nobody cares about anyway.

This is allegedly a watch forum, FFS.

Master
    Yes, I most certainly do. I also own a decent collection of vintage watches that are all in very good condition and wear as they did when new.

This Rolex is a battered piece of crap, the fact that some idiots perceive it to have value doesn’t change that. The watch is knackered, if it was in nice condition it might be desirable, but it isn't.

I’ve never seen the big attraction with dive watches, it’s all a bit wannabe in my opinion, and I certainly can’t see any attraction whatsoever in battered scruffy ones.

You OK with that?
    I am. Would also love to see you posting with a bit more positive vibe. Even if that means showcasing your vintage pieces, which I would love to see btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what’s the sweepstake going at for what it will go for?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    So what’s the sweepstake going at for what it will go for?

£14k …. Ish

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    This watch just sold for £43500 , plus premium .
    I would love to see it in 12 months time !

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    This watch just sold for £43500 , plus premium .
    I would love to see it in 12 months time !

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    That's a strong price, and so would I!

Master
    Looks like a battered piece of crap to me.....I`m sure others will see it differently.
    I see it the same as you (maybe not "crap")

I cannot see the original aesthetic ever being restored without doing a Theseus (paradox) on it and I certainly wouldn't wear it like that.

Butttttt you know it's a free country and people buy piles of rust and then drive them so who am I to say anything about what they do with their money or which art they should like.

B
    Last edited by Brian; 14th December 2023 at 11:35.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I see it the same as you (maybe not "crap")

I cannot see the original aesthetic ever being restored without doing a Theseus (paradox) on it and I certainly wouldn't wear it like that.

Butttttt you know it's a free country and people buy piles of rust and then drive them so who am I to say anything about what they do with their money or which art they should like.

B
    Madness in my opinion, cannot imagine anyone wanting to own it, I stand by my original comments.

Currently wearing a 1959 Omega Constellation, 18 ct gold with a near - perfect original pie pan dial, the watch has had a very gentle life and looks every bit as sharp as it did when new, probably one of the best examples in existence and worth over £4000 on a good day. That’s my take on vintage watches, I could understand the Rolex fetching big money if it was in similar condition, but it isn’t, it’s a scruffy piece of tat.

I don’t get it, I never will.