closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another treasure Rolex 6538 “ Big Crown “resurfaces .

Craftsman

Another treasure Rolex 6538 “ Big Crown “resurfaces .

I know a number of the members are interested in rarities , this one could prove interesting when it comes up for auction on the 13/12/23.
    I have spoken with the auction room and they have been informed this is a one owner watch from new & clearly it has had a life !
    Viewings available by appointment with the auction room if required, prior to listed viewing dates .

I hope this information helps any member who maybe interested.

I hope I’m not teaching the members to suck eggs , however the buyers premium at auctions can be significantly reduced from that advertised on Saleroom.com by registering and dealing with the listing auction house directly.

I hope you enjoy this glimpse into the past , as I did .

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...e-b0ba0118c687
    Last edited by Norbert; 15th November 2023 at 16:34.

Grand Master
    Looks like a battered piece of crap to me.....I`m sure others will see it differently.

Master
    Ooof, was that a Rolex once??

At least it has a sensible estimate.

I guess that GBP in the price stands for Great British Pence.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

At least you could wear it without the worry of getting robbed.

The thieves wouldn't recognise it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Send that off to Rolex for a service, new dial, hands, bezel and polish and it would be spot on ...

Dr “Oh No”

If 'found in the bottom of grandad's tool box' was a watch.

If that was on eBay it would be described as "in good used condition, some marks".

I like that a lot, an old tool watch that looks like it's actually been used and not pampered or over-restored.
    "A man of little significance"

I like it, not sure the bezel insert will remain in place for long though.
    I would rather this one than a shiny new one.

Master
    One careful owner……….who lost his hammer many years ago :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Looks like a battered piece of crap to me.....I`m sure others will see it differently.
    Honest question. Do you find happiness in life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Dr “Oh No”
    :D

Shame it's so battered... otherwise the bezel insert alone is worth a decent amount

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Honest question. Do you find happiness in life?

Yes, I most certainly do. I also own a decent collection of vintage watches that are all in very good condition and wear as they did when new.

This Rolex is a battered piece of crap, the fact that some idiots perceive it to have value doesn’t change that. The watch is knackered, if it was in nice condition it might be desirable, but it isn't.

I’ve never seen the big attraction with dive watches, it’s all a bit wannabe in my opinion, and I certainly can’t see any attraction whatsoever in battered scruffy ones.

You OK with that?

Yes, I most certainly do. I also own a decent collection of vintage watches that are all in very good condition and wear as they did when new.

This Rolex is a battered piece of crap, the fact that some idiots perceive it to have value doesn’t change that. The watch is knackered, if it was in nice condition it might be desirable, but it isn't.

I’ve never seen the big attraction with dive watches, it’s all a bit wannabe in my opinion, and I certainly can’t see any attraction whatsoever in battered scruffy ones.

You OK with that?
    Opinions are like ar5eholes we all have one
    Some people don’t like garish gold watches, some people don’t like chronographs.
    No right or wrong answer.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 15th November 2023 at 21:26.

Used for timing average detonation of landmines.

No-one likes a battered car (or most stuff) so why a watch?

Dr “Oh No”
    Well done, thanks for the chuckle!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No idea. All the most desirable classic / vintage cars are restored back to as new condition. No one wants patina on their 1960 Ferrari. So why do people want beaten up old watches, it’s a real anomaly…

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Agreed, I`ve never understood the appeal of either! I like old cars and I like old watches, but I don't like scruffy old crap regardless of the makers name.

Kings New Clothes?........the aficionados have been conditioned to believe they like stuff like this battered old Rolex, some idiot will pay strong money to buy this thing and he'll get applause from similar like-minded 'enthusiasts' who despite keeping their money in their pocket will enjoy extolling the virtues of this piece of tat on forums like this.

Seriously, how can anyone derive pleasure from owning this?

Master
    I like vintage and I don't mind some honest patina, but dear me that's a mess. No one's buying that 'because of the stories it could tell' or other BS. The dial needs major work for a start and once you go down that rabbit hole... No doubt it'll resurface in a couple of years time in one of the top auctions, looking splendid and with a 50k+ estimate and Perezcope will be all over it like a fat kid on chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    No idea. All the most desirable classic / vintage cars are restored back to as new condition. No one wants patina on their 1960 Ferrari. So why do people want beaten up old watches, it’s a real anomaly…
    Original paint and interior can be a huge deal on a high end classic. Your average 60's Ferrari is probably on it's second or third resto by now, so finding something that's never been painted or pranged and has been well looked after is unicorn material for some, even if it does look a bit tired from the outside.
    Last edited by Dynam0humm; 16th November 2023 at 02:27.

We can all have opinions and likes and dislikes. The market is something we have no control over so we have to accept it, ranting is pointless. That watch is much too far gone IMO and it wouldn't be a pleasure for me to own. As a young kid in the 60's my dad gave me some of his coin collection to "start me off". The first thing I wanted to do was get the Duraglit out and polish those black victorian pennies to a nice copper shine. He stopped me of course. It would polish away any value or future interest from anyone else. One lesson learned that things could be different to the way you think best.
    It's good to field what others think. I just don't enjoy those that use a hammer and chisel to put their opinion into peoples minds.

It's completely subjective.
    I have a battered old Navitimer that I actually prefer in its well-used state. No way would I contemplate having it restored to look like new.

But this Rolex to me is way beyond being worn as it is; it would probably be bought for restoration. Not my bag, but if someone else chooses that route then I wish them luck and happiness.

Blimey, some strange comments on this thread. A service, new crystal and period correct bezel insert and you'd have an amazing and useable watch.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    A service, new crystal and period correct bezel insert and you'd have an amazing and useable watch.
    My thoughts too, along with the cachet of owning a birth or relevant year watch.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Will be interesting to see if this proves a good opportunity to pick up a big crown sub at a good price or if bidding gets carried away. They're not difficult to get hold of (in much better condition) if you're willing to stump up.

Blimey, some strange comments on this thread. A service, new crystal and period correct bezel insert and you'd have an amazing and useable watch.
    Yeah, this. Make it functional and leave the rest be.

I don't get the fascination with everything old being returned to like brand new, where do you stop? Once you hit 50 and have had the plastic surgery what then, trout lips?
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    Judging from the condition of the outside it’s highly likely the movement is in similar poor condition ie knackered. Have to smile when folks say it’ll need a ‘service’, if it’s rebuildable it’ll need major restoration and there’s a chance that it won’t be fixable, that’s not my definition of ‘a service’!

Despite my earlier comments I don’t mind a watch that shows some patina, but this thing needs too many rare/expensive parts swapping out to bring it back from knackered to reasonably patinated.

Ironically I’m wearing a watch that I restored from a poor starting point, a gold- capped Omega C cased Constellation that I got for next to nothing as it was seriously water- damaged. This one cost me very little to restore to nice wearable condition, it’ll never be a top- grade example, but it fills a spot in my collection for very little outlay. This Rolex is the exact opposite, it’ll cost megabucks to get into anything like decent condition and, like my Constellation, it’ll never be a top grade example.

If you want the best, go out and buy the best. Unless you really know what you’re doing it’s a mistake to buy something crap because it’s (relatively) cheap, this applies to all antiques and collectibles. You have to buy with head not heart.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There is a photo of the inside of the case back, they could have taken one of the movement ...

Blog Entries
    Dr “Oh No”
    :)

From Russia without Love

And (unsurprisingly) the inside of the caseback looks pristine. Is that a '71 service mark I see??
    One of the advantages of old dive watches is that they are generally a bit more everything-proof than other styles of watch, so often the movements can survive in better condition. (The obvious exception being one that has been flooded).
    I think that (when appropriately finished) will be truly lovely. But the bezel and insert will be a particularly hard rescue to pull off successfully

On a different note, what I really do not understand in the comments here is a total lack of acceptance of the other point of view.

"battered crap" that "others see differently"
    "do you find happiness in life?"
    "idiots perceive it to have value"

Really?

Can we all just concentrate on playing the ball, not the man.
    It is this kind of rubbish that is part of the decline of this forum, imho.
    No-one is an idiot here for looking at this watch as a potential beauty.
    Nor does anyone need to insult someone who doesn't agree.
    Let's try and keep on topic, and off-insult, especially here in WT

The owner certainly didn’t baby this watch. I would love to see the estimate if this went back to Rolex for a service.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    The owner certainly didn’t baby this watch. I would love to see the estimate if this went back to Rolex for a service.
    I wonder if they'd offer to buy it off him.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Anyone on here daft enough to bid on it?..........come on, don’t be shy!

I hope someone on here does buy it, Paul.
    I would love to follow its journey and to see the end result.
    One more member of the "Embrace the Batter" squad would be welcomed by me.

Agreed, I`ve never understood the appeal of either! I like old cars and I like old watches, but I don't like scruffy old crap regardless of the makers name.

Kings New Clothes?........the aficionados have been conditioned to believe they like stuff like this battered old Rolex, some idiot will pay strong money to buy this thing and he'll get applause from similar like-minded 'enthusiasts' who despite keeping their money in their pocket will enjoy extolling the virtues of this piece of tat on forums like this.

Seriously, how can anyone derive pleasure from owning this?
    Possibly because everyone else has their own likes and dislikes which differ from yours.

A mind blowing concept I know.

Anyone on here daft enough to bid on it?..........come on, don’t be shy!

I suspect that anyone bidding on it will know exactly what they're buying and the value.

I doubt it'll be bought by someone who then pops up with a thread, just bought a Rolex, need suggestions where to send it for a service.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    with the cachet of owning a birth or relevant year watch.
    Don't trigger him

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

Really?

Can we all just concentrate on playing the ball, not the man.
    It is this kind of rubbish that is part of the decline of this forum, imho.
    No-one is an idiot here for looking at this watch as a potential beauty.
    Nor does anyone need to insult someone who doesn't agree.
    Let's try and keep on topic, and off-insult, especially here in WT
    Well said.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

Another treasure Rolex 6538 “ Big Crown “resurfaces .

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...e-b0ba0118c687

Having revisited this thread and the original auctioneers listing ( as above ) this morning , I now note that there is an image of the movement , plus a more detailed and interesting provenance.

I am not qualified to make any horological observations other than , I suspect this movement is in better nick than mine , yes it’s a birth year watch for me , 66 years old , I only wish the watch could reveal what it has experienced in its life time !

Enjoy or not as the case maybe , however the forum is here for all forms of polite discussion and sharing of our hobby / passion/ experiences / knowledge , this is what makes this such a great asset to us all .

I only wish I had the funds to purchase this item that shares the same year of arrival.
    HAGWE

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Norbert; 17th November 2023 at 20:03.

Master
    I’m afraid you’ve failed your Antiques Roadshow expert audition. 😁

Grand Master
    Can`t draw any conclusions from pictures of the movement, it doesn`t look horrendous but there's no way to assess the degree of wear. It will be restorable at a price.

How much would someone have to pay to buy a good example? I see no attraction in scruffy old Rolex dive watches so I don`t follow the market, but this has made me curious. I know folks pay silly money for tatty old crap where Rolex is concerned but I`ve absolutely no idea what one of the better examples would cost.

I`m almost as old as this watch (6 months younger) but I think I`m in far better condition. Mechanically I`m still functioning well and meeting design criteria, albeit not to the same level of performance as in days gone by. Cosmetically I`m still in decent condition despite the inevitable patina, I wear my years well which is more than can be said for this watch.

I could almost 'get' the birth year thing if the watch being chosen was a decent example that similarly wore it's years well, but why get something that looks totally knackered like this watch? By the same premise, someone who perceives themselves as looking knackered might be more comfortable with a watch in similar condition, a bit like dog owners subconsciously choosing a dog that resembles themselves. Food for thought?

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is a project watch, it will be bought by someone to renovate to make a profit, I can’t see anyone buying that to preserve it as is.

It would be good if the buyer came back and showed us how it turns out.

Paul, I think you have just helped me to understand why I like my battered old Navitimer so much!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Paul, I think you have just helped me to understand why I like my battered old Navitimer so much!
    From what I recall, seeing you both together, you're in better nick than the watch!

Can`t draw any conclusions from pictures of the movement, it doesn`t look horrendous but there's no way to assess the degree of wear. It will be restorable at a price.

How much would someone have to pay to buy a good example? I see no attraction in scruffy old Rolex dive watches so I don`t follow the market, but this has made me curious. I know folks pay silly money for tatty old crap where Rolex is concerned but I`ve absolutely no idea what one of the better examples would cost.

I`m almost as old as this watch (6 months younger) but I think I`m in far better condition. Mechanically I`m still functioning well and meeting design criteria, albeit not to the same level of performance as in days gone by. Cosmetically I`m still in decent condition despite the inevitable patina, I wear my years well which is more than can be said for this watch.

I could almost 'get' the birth year thing if the watch being chosen was a decent example that similarly wore it's years well, but why get something that looks totally knackered like this watch? By the same premise, someone who perceives themselves as looking knackered might be more comfortable with a watch in similar condition, a bit like dog owners subconsciously choosing a dog that resembles themselves. Food for thought?
    NO. Just give it a rest, FFS.

NO. Just give it a rest, FFS.
    Well said!

Newsflash: different people like different things.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Newsflash: different people like different things.
    However some people can’t understand that and want to force their opinion down everyone else’s throats