closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garage/workshop benches

Master

Garage/workshop benches

Now getting to the point of deciding which route to take regarding garage workbench.
    I was just going to fit a few kitchen base units with drawers mainly and just an odd cupboard amongst them.
    We’ve got the 900mm wide deep drawer units in our kitchen and I thought they would be ideal.
    But looking around I’ve spotted units from the likes of “big dug” that don’t look bad.
    What have you guys opted for, and how have you found it.
    Obviously pictured are a must 😂👍
    Might add, the wall is just over 5mtrs long where I want them.

How strong do they need to be?

Lucky enough to have inherited this old girl.

Kitchen units OK for storage (that's an old set of bedroom drawers next to the workbench) but something sturdier can be useful.

I kitted ours out with these a couple of years ago. The quality is exceptional and includes delivery.

https://wellstimber.co.uk/product/so...y-workbench-2/

I then added some mechanics drawers and dewalt storage boxes.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    How strong do they need to be?
    It’s mainly for storage and to store a couple of bits and pieces on.
    I’ll fix a vice to a separate bench for any heavy work needed

I've been looking at workbenches as well and like the look of the bigdug stuff too as they seem to be a good balance of sturdiness and cost. Be interesting to see what others think.

I'm leaning towards one of the below:

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/workshop-fl...rkbench-p19959

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/workshop-fl...ga-deal-p19952

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I've been looking at workbenches as well and like the look of the bigdug stuff too as they seem to be a good balance of sturdiness and cost. Be interesting to see what others think.

The first link is what made me think twice about kitchen base cabinets.
    The cost of filling the whole wall with base units, especially the drawer units soon adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post

It looks like it came out of the same factory as the Sealy stuff

https://www.sealey.co.uk/category/56...torage-systems

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    The cost of filling the whole wall with base units, especially the drawer units soon adds up.
    Plus I guess the load rating for shelves etc will be less than a proper bench, and they'd get damaged more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It looks like it came out of the same factory as the Sealy stuff

https://www.sealey.co.uk/category/56...torage-systems
    That stuff looks good but blimey some of those prices make my eyes water.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Not necessarily. I’ve opted for kitchen worktops in my last three garages, supplemented by kitchen cupboards below them.

Almost all the cupboards were sourced from local kitchen fitting companies (who’d removed them from houses prior to installation of their new kitchen) and they were only too keen to avoid paying local council charges for disposal.
    The worktops came either from the same kitchen fitting companies, or from worktop suppliers with surface faults.

In my current garage I’ve built mdf frames to accommodate storage crates.

On the left is an Ikea kitchen cupboard which had a damaged top in their store (£10). I removed that, bought another worktop from a local fitter (£10) (again with damage at one end) cut out the damage and put castors on the legs to allow it to be moved around as required.

R

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I made my bench out of some old Dexion racking and an old kitchen worktop.. solid enough.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My bench was purpose built by my builder using wood left over from the garage build.

Its at the height best suited for me,it has an extra sacrificial top that can be removed or replaced in the future,it is very,very strong.

Even so I use large cutting mats on top.

The vice is set to one side and placed for best use to hold items up, down or sideways.

A tough storage shelf is built underneath to take storage boxes for my motorcyle bits and the correct height to fit my givi luggage upright

Then under that the less used stuff goes on the floor underneath the bench shelf.

Outside I made a tough metal bench from the leftovers of the HD military racking that holds all my tools and is designed so my ABBA stand wiill fit with ease.

I do dirty and heavy hammer work on the metal bench outside (not that I can do much nowadays,but its their if I need it).

Eavery bit of my shed was built with the builder and I planning it to make my life as easy as possible (every year its harder to stay riding).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Not necessarily. I’ve opted for kitchen worktops in my last three garages, supplemented by kitchen cupboards below them.

Almost all the cupboards were sourced from local kitchen fitting companies (who’d removed them from houses prior to installation of their new kitchen) and they were only too keen to avoid paying local council charges for disposal.
    The worktops came either from the same kitchen fitting companies, or from worktop suppliers with surface faults.

In my current garage I’ve built mdf frames to accommodate storage crates.

On the left is an Ikea kitchen cupboard which had a damaged top in their store (£10). I removed that, bought another worktop from a local fitter (£10) (again with damage at one end) cut out the damage and put castors on the legs to allow it to be moved around as required.

R

R
    A man after my own heart. A carpetted garage , excellent. Tiles get oily, lift em out scrub a dub dub, back in, lovely.

Blog Entries
    Castor wheels and a vertical 'rise' at the back so that nothing can fall off are two details you can use on any sort of bench. I'm currently busy carefully breaking up old pallets. I can use the planks for legs and other planks as table top (I always use a large piece of cardboard on my bench/table tops as a protection). This 'new' bench will be used for dirty, oily jobs.

If you are using kitchen worktop for your bench top, you will need a 6m length (Which could be pricey) unless you are happy to have a join.

Master
    This is a useful thread as I need to make a bench as well. Am planning to make one so have some 2x4 for the frame and some ply for the top already - just need to actually get on and make it now!
    Am thinking about how best to incorporate a mitre saw - will probably just recess it as opposed to having it swing up.
    Also planning on some castors in case it needs moving.
    Like the idea of a vertical piece at the back to stop stuff falling behind it.

Master
    Bigdug shelving isn't bad for the money, I used to use the small shelves that are weight rated for storing firkins of beer on when I used to run small beer festival's.

If you want something more robust and heavy duty look on the likes of Facebook market place etc for dexion shelving, my scout group picked some up for next to nothing and we store two marquess and other canvas tents on it which weight 100's of kilos

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    A man after my own heart. A carpetted garage , excellent. Tiles get oily, lift em out scrub a dub dub, back in, lovely.
    At the risk of beginning to sound a right cheapskate(!) these carpet tiles were being sold off locally on Facebook as a result of an office refurbishment. I bought what I needed plus a few extra and paid £1 each. Being office tiles they're very hard-wearing, easier on your knees and dropped items tend to stay where they land.

Previous garage was carpeted with a friend's out-going lounge carpet:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use this shelving https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 plus any items I've relegated from the house over the years (currently an old desk and a 1980s Ladderax unit) - the shelving units are fine but I think your garage deserves better!

Grand Master
    My bench is home-made from timber and it's strong enough to take a car engine block. The top is formed from two layers of plywood, the second is fixed using screws and can be replaced when it gets too dirty and damaged etc. It's designed to be functional rather than pretty, more an example of rough carpentry than skilled joinery!

If you intend working in the garage I suggest you provide plenty of horizontal surfaces even if they're not robust enough to class as a workbench.

Don't make the mistake I did and buy plastic shelving, it flexes in hot weather and basically it's crap. I`ll end up getting rid of mine (possibly relegate to the loft) and fitting something stronger.........buy cheap and buy twice!

Master
    All good ideas, keep them coming.
    I’ve already got heavy duty racking/shelving in the shed and storage unit which will be transferred to part of the garage at some point.
    Ideally I would get base units that are being replaced by someone and then just tidy them up, but you don’t often find people getting rid of over 5 mtrs worth of matching base units.
    I made the work bench in the garage that was knocked down but I just thought it would be nice to have some decent tidy storage as well, hence the idea of base units or “big dig” style stuff.

Master
    At the risk of beginning to sound a right cheapskate(!) these carpet tiles were being sold off locally on Facebook as a result of an office refurbishment. I bought what I needed plus a few extra and paid £1 each. Being office tiles they're very hard-wearing, easier on your knees and dropped items tend to stay where they land.

Previous garage was carpeted with a friend's out-going lounge carpet:

R
    You were done ! My tiles were 50 p each ! Again ex office clearance. Entire garage was £65 inc delivery from memory

The garage envy is strong

Craftsman
    More carpet tiles here too. I previously painted the floor but it soon looked scruffy. These have been down 5 years and still look good.
    The wall cabinets were IKEA and the bench I made many years ago from angle. It has a solid mahogany top about 2 inches thick. That is nice and solid!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Always worth painting the garage walls white, makes the area much brighter. It’s a laborious task, especially with breeze blocks, but it’s well worth doing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    More carpet tiles here too. I previously painted the floor but it soon looked scruffy. These have been down 5 years and still look good.
    The wall cabinets were IKEA and the bench I made many years ago from angle. It has a solid mahogany top about 2 inches thick. That is nice and solid!

Do you glue them down,special glue?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Do you glue them down,special glue?
    Yes glued down with a carpet tile glue called tackifier. Looks like a PVA glue. Stops them moving about but still can be lifted.

We had a new kitchen a year after we moved house.

Old one started being dumped into the skip and I had the brainwave to put it into the garage. The pull out tower unit is brilliant for all your cans, jars and bottles of stuff.

I’ve fitted the plinth and a cornice since that pic was taken.

You could buy a super cheap kitchen from B&Q and fit it yourself.

Blog Entries
    Which essential man cave liquids need to be kept cool in the fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    We had a new kitchen a year after we moved house.

Old one started being dumped into the skip and I had the brainwave to put it into the garage. The pull out tower unit is brilliant for all your cans, jars and bottles of stuff.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

For shelving I just used G-Rack. Comes in different colours, sizes, is fully customisable and good value for money.

Best thing no tools required as it all slots together.

https://g-rack.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    For shelving I just used G-Rack. Comes in different colours, sizes, is fully customisable and good value for money.

Best thing no tools required as it all slots together.

https://g-rack.co.uk/
    Hmmm, not had a great overall experience with them, tbh.

Bought some racking from them a few years ago and that was ok, but got some more about 3 years ago and the quality had nose-dived. Thinner metal made assembling harder and lacked structual rigidity and thinner shelves meant heavier items would cause them to sag. Still got them, but they're allocated for light items only.

R

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    This is a useful thread as I need to make a bench as well. Am planning to make one so have some 2x4 for the frame and some ply for the top already - just need to actually get on and make it now!
    Am thinking about how best to incorporate a mitre saw - will probably just recess it as opposed to having it swing up.
    Also planning on some castors in case it needs moving.
    Like the idea of a vertical piece at the back to stop stuff falling behind it.
    Used 4x4 for the legs of my bench to give it a bit more strength

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, not had a great overall experience with them, tbh.

Bought some racking from them a few years ago and that was ok, but got some more about 3 years ago and the quality had nose-dived. Thinner metal made assembling harder and lacked structual rigidity and thinner shelves meant heavier items would cause them to sag. Still got them, but they're allocated for light items only.

R
    Interesting. They are suppose to be rated for 150kg. I haven’t got close to that weight on them but not had any issues with rigidity or difficulty in assembly.

Time will tell on any shelf sagging I suppose. I assume your versions had the cross linked bar for support and stability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk