closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Modern lume aging

Modern lume aging

Now that superluminova is over 20 years old I wonder if it will patina like Tritium and Radium?
    Does anyone have any examples of Luminova aging/patina similar to that of T or Ra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it does not
    It’s stable and does not age visibly
    I am interested to see if the lume strength degrades over time but again I suspect it does not.
    Earlier luminova is definitely not as bright as more modern versions but this is all to do with improved formulas and better techniques for application and not aging.

It is easily spoiled by moisture though, luminova and water do not mix.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th November 2023 at 20:41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got watches with it that are around 20 years old and the lume looks the same as when new, as far as I can judge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    I’ve got watches with it that are around 20 years old and the lume looks the same as when new, as far as I can judge.
    That's my experience as well. The lume on my quartz SMP looks the same as when I bought it in 1998. And it still works!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    No it does not
    It’s stable and does not age visibly
    I am interested to see if the lume strength degrades over time but again I suspect it does not.
    Earlier luminova is definitely not as bright as more modern versions but this is all to do with improved formulas and better techniques for application and not aging.

It is easily spoiled by moisture though, luminova and water do not mix.
    That’s a shame I was hoping it would turn a different colour similar to T or Ra.

My EZM1 is one of the first Ar ones, produced near the end of the main production run, and sold in 2001, making it 22 years old.
    The lume has not changed colour in the slightest, and the lume performance is exemplary. That has not perceptibly dropped in the 12 years that I have owned it.

Master
    This is my Dynamic with SL lume. It’s about 24 years old. Glows well and no obvious aging. The yellow lume plots are the original colour.

This is the same model with tritium lume. Both watches are roughly the same age. Omega changed lume mid way through the run. You can see the difference very clearly.

I found the other watch image here. https://www.birthyearwatches.com/pro...ox-and-papers/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    That’s a shame I was hoping it would turn a different colour similar to T or Ra.
    Well, you can always buy a watch with the “old radium” lume. Or is that cheating??

I assume the difference is down to the fact that radioactive lume physically becomes a different substance over time as a result of the particle emission that makes it luminous.

Modern lume aging

Well, you can always buy a watch with the “old radium” lume. Or is that cheating??
    I think it can look quite good when done well. The Omega Seamaster 300 master chronometer is a point in case IMO.

Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th November 2023 at 21:58.

I assume the difference is down to the fact that radioactive lume physically becomes a different substance over time as a result of the particle emission that makes it luminous.
    I could , I was wondering as most of my watches are of the post tritium era though.

I think Omega used some replacement chemical for a few years after the tritium ban, to allow for the patina to be created. But they discontinued it soon.