closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your daily motor 10 year old or more ?

Master
    2011 Toyota Yaris with 82000.

scooter
    Last edited by scooter; 14th November 2023 at 11:46.

Master
    I have a 2010 Focus Titanium that I hardly drive as I have a small van for work..

Just had it serviced and MOT'd. From last years MOT to this years one I have covered just 989 miles in it.. I really like the Focus after owning two 3 series BM's before it.. The seats are more comfortable and parts, servicing and insurance are relatively cheap..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    20 years old...
    I purchased one of the first A2s in the country, a Y plate, with the 3 cylinder diesel engine.

It was a car ahead of its time, and I got a genuine 65mpg. Mine was silver as well.

2012 Kia Venga. It goes in for its service and MOT once a year and rarely requires anything beyond a bulb or wiper blade.

This year was an exception, as the aircon needed to be re-gassed. Oh, and some years ago it needed a suspension part, but the was covered by the seven year warranty...

12 year-old Range Rover Sport. Never missed a beat, never had any repairs, no rust, just paid for standard MOT and services, all at very reasonable rates.

Said no one, ever.....

Ryan

2003 z4 that I service/fix myself. Nothing major has gone wrong with it and doubt it will for the foreseeable. 3.0 but only £300 fully comp.

2009 Polo - low miles so doesn’t require much upkeep. Technically I own it but lives with my sister.

1977 Mercedes w116. Barely drove it as I’m insisting on fixing it myself, which I am incapable of. Eventually I’d like this to be my only vehicle. No road tax, classic insurance, and I barely do any miles.

If I did big miles I’d maybe drive a newer car. That would be sensible. But I am an idiot.
    Last edited by Fender; 14th November 2023 at 12:11.

Is your daily motor 10 year old or more ?

It was until today - 2002 E46, paid £3k for in 2010. Nothing aside from usual consumables - disks/pads etc, bit of welding.

Unfortunately never thought to install a snorkel though, so off for scrap now I guess. Sad really when the oldies start going off to the parking garage in the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2009 Abarth 500 and a 2009 VW Polo owned 9 and 8 years respectively. Doing less and less miles these days and cars are no longer the obsession they once were. Think the Abarth has done less than 500 miles in the last few years. Probably should look at possibly selling but it’s great fun and surprisingly cheap to insure.

About 10 days for me, a lease car, I sleep easier knowing someone else has to foot the bill if it all goes wrong. A false economy no doubt.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, I'm getting less and less interested in brand-new cars. My wife drives a 4 y/o Honda CR-V and trade-in value of these cars is insane. But why getting a new one? I think that the current quaiity of cars has to do with that as well. The Honda comes with 10 yrs full warranty. And rust prevention is nowadays better than it ever was.

I was going through old photos I pulled from a shoebox. I found a picture of my 1976 Saab 99EMS. The pic was taken in 1985. Nine years old, and the rust was everywhere! Doors with holes, B-pillars with brown 'cauliflower' patches... Nowadays, 9 y/o car (can) still look pristine!

I sometimes think, that car manufacturers should open a market for the owners of older cars: selling brand-new dashboards with another layout or more modern look and feel. Modern interiors etc. Some dealers have seen the light, so to speak. Reduction on prices when you come into the dealer's workshop for repairs or maintenance.

Master
    Yes, this one, it was purchased when about 4 years old but has been in the family for the last 10 years and (touch wood) only required consumable parts although the infotainment system did give up the ghost recently.

Previous one was also over 10 years old at purchase but did need more parts replacing due to wear than this one

I think in general, cars made between 2000-2010 approx are probably the best balance of fairly modern reliability before all the electronics appeared and dulled the driving experience as well as increasing costs of repairs. It was also the last era before emissions and economy became the overriding factor in cars to the detriment of driving experience, sound and power IMO.

Loving this thread, and it's making me determined to keep my (relatively young) 8 year old Mini and drive it into the ground.
    With two recently qualified sons using it, it probably won't last long anyway

Craftsman
    I have a MK 1 2004 ford focus. Still going strong

I do also drive my other car three or four times a week for pleasure which is a MR2 mk3 from 2002, this has had a fair amount of money spent on it to get it up to MOT standard but hopefully the spending has now finished apart from the normal expenses and its all enjoyment from now on :)

Master
    Bitter sweet.

I have a 2004 "tow and snow" petrol X3 that has hardly missed a beat in the 14 years or so I've had it . Four or five coilpacks a couple of springs and some discs /pads and that's about it. Due to below it has (again) been my daily for the last couple of months

I also have a 2007 Cooper S - what a disaster . 2 engine rebuilds ( second one in progress) and a subframe were the least of it... Into it for so much I will have to run it until one of us expires.

Mrs Stiglet runs a VW Polo 2012 - 40 -50 mpg and, again, no issues whatsoever.

1999 MX5 with 123K miles
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser with 102K miles
    2009 Honda CB600 Hornet F7 with 23K miles

The cars cost to keep going the bike doesn't

Master
    Wife’s 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7v8 Hemi. Bought for £5k back in 2014 with 87k on the clock. Now at 128k. It’s needed a few hubs and a radiator, but apart from petrol cost it’s been cheap to run. It gets a really hard life, chain harrowing fields and towing horse boxes around. Pretty simple vehicle with no air suspension nonsense and no turbos.

Craftsman
    Mk4 VW Golf GT red I (the 150bhp turbo diesel) owned new from September 2002.

177K on the clock now. I reckon I'm about half way with it :-)

The car and I are having a competition to see who can fall apart last. Car's winning LOL

I love the combination of performance, practicality, economy and solid brand image that you get with the Mk 4 Golf. I'm also very partial to the blue and red dashboard lighting at night ("details matter", as Jack Reacher famously said ... )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Loving this thread, and it's making me determined to keep my (relatively young) 8 year old Mini and drive it into the ground.
    With two recently qualified sons using it, it probably won't last long anyway

We had the same challenge a few years back. We made a point of telling: "This is it! When you molest the car and it's broken then that's the end of your motoring with our car. There will be no other, no replacement!" And: "Put it to the floor and you'll pay more!" (It rhymes better in Dutch). The fuel tank is always full when we hand over the keys and we expect it to be refueled on return.

Now, 4.5 yrs on, there was only one altercation with a lamp post when reversing. And I know the local situation. It could have happened to me as well.

My oldest has a girlfriend now, and her mom has less strict rules. That nice mother hands over her new A-Class Mercedes whenever they want to use it. Oh well.
    Last edited by thieuster; 15th November 2023 at 00:00.

Craftsman
    Yes I'm another running a decade+ car.

Mines a 2009 Honda Stepwagon....just about to clock 120000kms.

So just about run in :-)

Craftsman
    2007 Mercedes C280, just hit 44,000 miles. I’m the third owner and it’s serviced according to the schedule. In sport mode it’s pretty good fun, but, because I’m home working these days, it’s mostly used for the 150+ miles trip up to see my dad, which it does with ease. It’s not particularly economical and it’s had a couple of pairs of front disks since I’ve owned it, but other than that, it’s been faultless.

I’ve still got my 2003 Boxster S, and although it was a daily for a couple of those early years it’s now only driven occasionally. I feel a little guilty it’s not still used as much.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Toyota Corolla 2003 Diesel, 125k miles. 1 owner!

I’ve got a 2000 Yaris that’s just turned 56k miles. One owner.

2002 Shogun 3.2 DID - 110K

2002 Lexus SC430 - 133K

2005 Audi A3 2.0TDI - 167K

2009 MB B Class 200 CDI - 48K

Anything less than 10 years old is problematic, running a garage we see lots of issues with younger cars, even Japanese!

Blog Entries
    1997 Toyota Landcruiser 189k miles (owned for 21 years)

2001 Toyota Yaris 94k miles (owned for 21 years - probably the best car I have ever bought, never needed anything beyond consumables and passes the MoT without any issues, despite our best efforts to use and abuse it.)

2007 Audi TT 86k miles

2007 Audi A6 183k miles

2012 BMW 5 series 110k miles

Lots of others been and gone but that's the current crop - the top 2 are more like pets than cars, kids have grown up with them and consider them part of the family.

Master
    Mine are a 2013 Mercedes E Class coupe, 36k miles, a 2003 Boxster, 54k miles and a 2012 A3 as a daily hack with towbar. My wife has a 2015 Golf GTD since new with about 37k miles and no intention of changing.

Not a daily driver, but any excuse to post this ULEZ compliant magnificence.

bought a 7 year old car for £2500 at auction ten years ago.
    Its still worth about £1000 so £1500 depreciation in 10 years.

its near 18 now and still runs reliably and easily passes MOT

Craftsman
    Golf 2010, bought 2012. Still runs very well. Never owned a new car. Can't get over the loss of so much money as soon as you turn the key for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    We had the same challenge a few years back. We made a point of telling: "This is it! When you molest the car and it's broken then that's the end of your motoring with our car. There will be no other, no replacement!" And: "Put it to the floor and you'll pay more!" (It rhymes better in Dutch). The fuel tank is always full when we hand over the keys and we expect it to be refueled on return.

Now, 4.5 yrs on, there was only one altercation with a lamp post when reversing. And I know the local situation. It could have happened to me as well.

My oldest has a girlfriend now, and her mom has less strict rules. That nice mother hands over her new A-Class Mercedes whenever they want to use it. Oh well.
    My older brother wrote off my mums car soon after passing his test, so I was never offered that luxury when I passed mine.

Full weeks wages managed to get me a Fiat Panda for £120, the best car I've ever owned.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Chopped in an '05 plate Golf GTi last week that was about to hit 203,000 miles because it was definitely going to turn expensive imminently. Now I've got a '09 plate Honda Civic 2.2 diesel (with 109,000) on it that I expect I'll run for at least 5 years. I had the Golf for a bit over 5 years. I briefly had a Mini Cooper S before that, but the main car prior was a BMW 530d that I retired at 238,000 miles after 8 years of my ownership because it just got too expensive to fix.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

2007 Lexus RX 400h, 156,000 still returns 33mpg. It's audio system has just stopped working, maybe a fuse. Other than its catalytic converter being stolen, no other problems mechanically.

2010 hyundai i30 45k , owned for 6 yrs -all ive had to do is put petrol in it and buy a few tyres .

Daily is a 2004 Fiesta Mk6 1.6 Ghia, bought 5 years ago for £300, done 139k now. Over the past 30 years this is my 5th Fiesta runabout, buy them then run until they die and then scrap them. My first one was a 1988 1.1 Ghia, did just over 199k before it met the scrappy. Quite fancy a Yaris 1.33 2008-2010 when its time.

Had to reject a top of the range Range Rover last year due to it having lots of faults. The dealer dragged it out, so for various reasons it meant I ended up without wheels. I bought a 2008 Peugeot 207 that was for sale down the road for £1000 just so I could get from A to B.

Anyway, the Peugeot has a split tail gate and a pan roof just like the Range did. It also does 600-700 miles on a tank of diesel, costs £135 to tax for the year and is under £250 a year to insure. So I retrofitted a decent stereo and hands free system I picked up in the Black Friday deals at Halford’s last November. It’s not a 4x4 and it doesn’t have massage seats, but apart from that it’s great!

I didn’t plan to keep it but I’ve done circa 25k miles in it now and really quite like it. So I’ll keep running it til it dies I think. So far I’ve only had to put a few tyres on it and pay for a couple of services. It passed its MOT in October without a single advisory.

Happy days, and super cheap motoring.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

I could barely handle that awesome machine! At 23 years old, it's a testament to simplicity.

Master
    2005 Volvo V70 here, bought off of this forum in fact!

2010 e89 Z4. Bought solely for the NC500 in 2019 and it’s been sat on the driveway ever since.

Currently eight cars taxed and MOTD across the boss and three sons, only one is under 10 years old

Mercedes Ml 250 - 2013, 60k miles, owned 6 years. Extremely reliable, only spend has been dpf temp sensor at 50k
    Smart 451 cdi cabriolet - 2009, 90k miles, owned 2 years. Have replaced front damper and springs. A joyful little car.

Golf GT tdi - 2009, 105k miles, owned 12 years. Suspension replaced all round plus failed aux belt tensioner, passed to #1 son
    Suzuki Swift Sport - 2007, 90k miles, owned 4 years. #2 sons choice, is boringly reliable and brilliant fun on track days.
    Mini One 1.6D - 2010, 80k miles, owned 6 months. #3 son has just passed test, we looked for months to find a good'un- lovely little car.

Mercedes SLK32 - 2003, 68k miles, owned 3 years. Totally original, totally reliable and rare as rocking horse...

Toyota Corolla 1.6 - 1998, 75k miles, inherited from grandad who owned from new. Totally reliable but high CO2 and road tax.

We love them all, I'm fortunate to be a time served spanner in a previous life, and have a workshop.
    With a modest investment in knowledge and tools you can cover most servicing tasks at home.

I see many issues due to poor understanding and maintenance of DPF systems, they work well when kept in good condition.
    There are very few bad cars, simply bad owners.

Agree about the complexity and future cost of modern vehicles, laptop diagnostics and parts swap are becoming the norm.

The small indy workshop is becoming more rare as experienced spanners retire, the technicians in dealer workshops are not trained or experienced to maintain our older vehicles, and frankly don't want the business.
    Last edited by W124; 18th November 2023 at 09:45.

I don't have a car. I don't need a car. Last time I owned one, I covered 500Km in a year. I gave it away in exchange for a steak dinner.

But I kind of want this:

2006, 5.7 litre V8, 4 wheel drive, truly diabolical fuel consumption, American finish and build "quality".

But 30,000 miles and under £9000. That's cheap for a 3-hand steel watch for some.

I am so tempted to release my inner Jack Bauer on the grueling 500m drive to buy hobnobs.

Talk me out of it (please)

JB

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    ...Last time I owned one, I covered 500Km in a year...
    Crikey, if only. I bought my Citroën two and a half months ago and I've just gone over the 5,000 miles mark.

No wonder I go through cars so quickly!

Is your daily motor 10 year old or more ?

2005 Subaru blob-eye Impreza (pro-drive) WRX
    Never had a mechanical issue ever, owned it near 8yrs.
    Was my daily driver for 5yrs and i put over 60k on it.

Problem has been me stuffing it into ditches occasionally!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Winner

Our ultra-reliable wee beastie, bought new in 2012, and now with 110k miles on the clock. Road tax exempt, ULEZ compliant, 60+ to the gallon, 38k from a set of tyres! What’s not to like, and no reason whatsoever to get rid!

I present to you… Bunty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I would like to think that the AM Cygnet version is part of the TZ-UK uniform. Barbour and a Cygnet. But this iQ looks the business as well!

Master
    2009 Honda S2000, 60k miles, maybe not daily use but some days I walk or get the bus.

2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara, not sure why it's a grand as it is only a baby 4x4

45k on the clock, daily driver, absolutely bullet proof. 2.4 petrol engine too, so for a Suzuki 4x4 goes like the clappers. Excellent off road too.

Amazingly ulez compliant too, not that I have done any reading into ulez compliancy, but I was amazed when I wasn't charged driving home from Bristol airport the last time.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickyboyo; 19th November 2023 at 19:34.

2008 Jaguar XF sv8 here. Costs about £1k a year in tyres and maintenance. I work from home so despite it being a v8 my fuel spend is pretty minimal.

Journeyman
    11 year old Honda CRV

Paid £8k 2 years ago

Not a minutes bother....so far

£400 per year insurance

Sent from my SM-A736B using TZ-UK mobile app