closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your daily motor 10 year old or more ?

Is your daily motor 10 year old or more ?

Insurance for JLR cars

Having read the above and the amount paid just to insure and then the unreliability aspect on a multi thousand pound car it makes my 12 year + Toyota (2011) seem a bargain.

Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8 paid £6750 five and a half years ago and its never missed a beat and never cost me a penny apart from the normal running costs, service, TAX, insurance, MOT, a couple of bulbs, brakes, tyres.

Yep. 2x 2007s. Still going fine after 150k+ each.

Well it is Japanese, most reliable cars for sure

I'm rocking a 2010 Tiguan that used to belong to my father. It's done 105k and mechanically appears superb. Had to replace the boot locking mechanism last year as it got stuck in open but other than that no expense. I used to spend £1000 per month on lease cars. That now goes into pension and has added benefit of significantly reducing my tax liability.

Ford Mondeo Titanium X here. Ten years old and I’ve had it for 9.5 years. Currently on 125,000 miles and going strong

Master
    Yep. 2013 DS3. Absolutely cracking little car and doggedly reliable (and massively cheap to own). 56k on the clock, probably get another 100k out of it no problem.

Craftsman
    All of my 4 cars are older than 10 years...

I drive a lot of different new hire cars because of work and I hate the bloody things, give me simple buttons and no nannying nonsense any day.

Each to their own but I couldn't justify the costs/depreciation of a new car and I can probably insure all 4 cars for the price of the JLR insurance mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    08 volvo V70 D5 bought April 19 with 64k miles, now 128,000 and no plans to swap
    2003 Jag Xj Super V8 with 68k on it bought april 19 done 23,000 in that

I do have a 5 year old as well but its a 1 year itch i wanted to scratch

Master
    13 year old Merc E350 coupe amg. Lovely car. Been a passenger in modernish Audis and Tesla’s and although more gadgets are now used the Merc is more comfortable and the internal finish feels better. Still feels like a new car, although it’s only done 75K which is nothing for a 3.5litre V6.

Craftsman
    I have a 2014 Defender 110 and a 2017 Discovery 5. Neither of which have been unreliable. :)

Master
    20 years old this year. Bought new by the MIL, and we bought it from her when she packed in driving, paid £1800 in 2010.

It’s never failed an MOT, never broken down, and apart from routine servicing, it’s had a couple of batteries, an exhaust, a set of tyres and an 02 sensor. Starts first time and does 50mpg.

Grand Master
    13 year old Jag XF 3.0 diesel auto with 56000 miles on the clock, still in excellent condition and doing everything I want it to do. Apart from an electric window motor and a turbo actuator problem at ca 30000 miles it's been problem free, just needed brakes replacing and a couple of batteries.

Can`t beat a nice powerful turbo diesel auto, more than enough power for real world motoring and delivered in a very refined manner. The car's probably not worth much now but I`ll keep it till it starts costing money.

Yep, 2011 Skoda Octavia estate with 97k on the clock. DSG auto, petrol, heated seats (leather/alcantra) flappy paddles, auto lights and wipers, auto dimming rear view, Bluetooth, cruise control, MMI computer, OEM removal tow bar! Paid £6990 for it in 2015! Just keeps going and going. Lot of car for the money.

Merc 18yrs old.
    MX-5 16yrs old.

I’ve a 2009, 101,000 miles CLS350 which is a joy to drive.

Bikes are from 1983, 2005 and 2006.

12 year old Skoda Superb
    14 year old Peugeot 4007
    10 year old Fiat Panda 4x4
    29 year old Triumph Speed Triple
    25 year old Aprilia Pegaso
    and a 10 year old Triumph Bonneville.

You could say the fleet are all quite old. Only ever had a problem with one, the Superb needed a substantial engine rebuild, but I knew there was stuff to be done with it when I bought it, as it was using a little too much oil, and that was factored in to what I paid for it. In total it has covered 117k miles, we have done about 60k of them over the years.
    The Peugeot is about to go, as the Panda was bought for my lad to start learning to drive in. It is a very capable 4x4, effectively an Outlander with a different badge and a better spec sheet.
    The rest, although old, all have minimal mileage.
    Nothing wrong with bangernomics.

2006 Honda Crv 2.2 cdti , 180,000. I would still jump in this and drive down to the Spanish Costa's with no worries .

Craftsman
    Ford Focus 1.8 - 2010 - 111K

Sweet as a nut.

2014 Mazda 3 and a 2006 Honda Jazz.

The Jazz just passed yet another MOT with only a couple of advisories. It's battered all over but that suits London driving because we don't have to worry about it. It's only ever needed brake pads. It needs a new front tyre soon and it probably needs a new thermostat, but that's not a priority.

Our previous 2009 Mazda 6 only ever needed one new brake caliper and tyres in the time we owned it. The seats were the most comfortable I've ever had the pleasure to drive long distance in. We could do 100s of miles and get out feeling fresh as a daisy.

Master
    This sweetie - a 2009 Merc SLK280. Done 75k and dreamy to drive plus it’s in superb nick.

Master
    They are all over 10 yrs old, mainly through choice. Newest at 12, then 54, P (96), L (94) and G (90)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep. VW Golf TDI. 155k. 2012.

I came here to say...

12 years old
    100k miles
    French

(mine's a DS3 as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Yep. 2013 DS3. Absolutely cracking little car and doggedly reliable (and massively cheap to own). 56k on the clock, probably get another 100k out of it no problem.

Yep, 2011 Honda Civic with a little over 85k on the clock.

Master
    2006 E Class estate - just under 240k miles on it. Has needed a water pump, radiator, air con condenser plus tyres/discs/pads and new front springs. Not bad for the distance travelled.

Doesn’t get used every day - I have a Nissan Leaf for nipping to the shops - but it’s used every week for towing the bike plus for long trips. Utterly brilliant car and I love it to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    2006 E Class estate - just under 240k miles on it. Has needed a water pump, radiator, air con condenser plus tyres/discs/pads and new front springs. Not bad for the distance travelled.

Doesn’t get used every day - I have a Nissan Leaf for nipping to the shops - but it’s used every week for towing the bike plus for long trips. Utterly brilliant car and I love it to bits.
    I had my 55 plate E220d for about eight years and it’s the only car I regret selling.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I'm rocking a 2010 Tiguan that used to belong to my father. It's done 105k and mechanically appears superb. Had to replace the boot locking mechanism last year as it got stuck in open but other than that no expense. I used to spend £1000 per month on lease cars. That now goes into pension and has added benefit of significantly reducing my tax liability.
    I never spent that much but when my last lease came to an end I realised what a no-brainer leasing vs pension was!

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Ford Mondeo Titanium X here. Ten years old and I’ve had it for 9.5 years. Currently on 125,000 miles and going strong
    Similar, I'm on 139,000 in mine I've added 50k in 4 years. Apart from regular servicing, I've spent about 1k in repairs to DPF, with hindsight I'd just swap it would have been cheaper. Wafts along at average 50mpg, cavernous boot, pokey, all round brilliant car. MOT is due next month and the result will determine the next step. Little things are starting to fail now, heated mirrors, cornering headlights, reverse bleepers so it might be time to say goodbye.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Swapped my 20yo Volvo last year for a 10yo lexus

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    I never spent that much but when my last lease came to an end I realised what a no-brainer leasing vs pension was!
    They were all short term leases through Evogo. I don't regret having them and I had the chance to experience most of the premium brands (including a brand new X3 that saved my life after a drivers side 40mph side on collision in 2018). I handed the last one back (Audi A4 Avant Quattro) in March '20 just before the pandemic stopped the world. Fortuitously, the lease costs kept me just under the earning threshold such that I got full SEISS grants throughout lockdown.

I'm over cars now although I'd love another 718 Cayman when the rime is right. For now, pension contributions are a total no brainer (amazingly, £10k actually only cost me £6k after tax relief).

Running an ‘03 Mini One daily that my wife got in ‘03 when she passed her driving test.

Very slow but still feels well built and cost us only wear and tear.

Ross

Craftsman

Mrs car.
    Had from new 2013 done 35000 miles £35 a year tax, £200 a year insurance why would we get shut!
    Last edited by Gee252; 13th November 2023 at 23:10.

Our daily is a 2008 Toyota Yaris. Never misses a beat, even started when I left the lights on all day. Key still works after a full spin in the washing machine. Cost £3000 eight years go. I don’t worry where I park it, taken me from Manchester to Cornwall, cheap annual service, low tax, economical. as close to free and carefree motoring as I could think of.

Craftsman
    2006 Mercedes CLK 280, 175,000 miles superb V6 engine, although VED is £320/year but worth it.

Master
    Yep I decided to go bangernomics last year so I have in my stable:

2008 Honda Civic Type R (the most fun I've had in a hot hatch for years). It's a bit tatty as it had a scrape in a car park just before the seller sold it to me so I paid £3k for it, but all the mechanicals are spot on, it had just had a big service at Honda HQ including a new clutch, valve clearances new Bridgestone tyres all round etc.

1997 Mazda MX5. More fun. Paid nothing for it as it's a 98bhp UK model but you could show this car, it's had a fortune spent on it at some point.

And on two wheels, a '98 Fireblade and a 2013 CRF250L. So nothing newer than 10 years, and of course all Japanese...

Her indoors has an XC40 so there is something more modern for the long slogs to France etc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Both my cars are old.

Daily is a 2010 Lexus IS250 90K miles and drives flawlessly.

Track toy is a 2003 VX220 which has taken me all over the racetracks of northern Europe and the Alps, Riviera, northern Italy etc.

Less to go wrong and you have a chance of fixing them compared to today's computer controlled stuff.

Blog Entries
    Mmmm yes...

1973 Saab 95; 56,000 kms after restoration
    1975 Saab 96; in need of restoration
    1980 Saab 96; last week of production, production stopped in the first week of January '80. Currently being restored
    1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 auto; only 113,000 kms done
    2001 Suzuki Jimmy; 174,000 kms done. For work on the land/in the forest. Dunno if it will pass the MoT.

I can't get near that tally.
    97 car, 04 motorhome, 2000 motorbike, 2014 motorbike.
    So only 78 years with 4x vehicles.

My starter set of golf clubs I use during winter are from 1995.
    The Callaway summer clubs are from 1999 - so 53 years age between 2-sets of golf clubs.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    2012 diesel wagon here.
    Bought at 12months old and 18k miles, now on 156k. Only minor, age related issues such as brakes and wheel bearings have been needed. Still on its original battery!

Every time I think about changing, I come to the conclusion that it would be a stupid amount to spend for a decent infotainment system. The Mondeo does everything thing else I need brilliantly.

It has the added bonus that I am in no way precious about it, so am happy to park it anywhere.

Master
    We have three cars, all of which are old.. the youngest being my other halfs Corsa which is from 2012.

My daily is a 2008 BMW E61 520d with 143k on it.. owned it four years. It's not been problem free motoring but every job I have been able to do on my driveway.. new DPF, a couple of wiring loom repairs, replacement of a snapped spring, turbo removal and repairs etc... I think if it had needed to go to the garage for all of these it would have been a less viable proposition but as I can fix it myself a lot of the time, that keeps the costs a little more reasonable.

I sold my 57 plate Golf earlier this year. It never broke down in entire ownership except in the last couple of months where it completely stopped dead and wouldn’t start. A tandem pump or something was replaced and then a short time later something else, so it was then time to get rid. The car had many happy memories and was sad to see it go.

Now replaced with a Lexus NX300H. Much quieter and more relaxing to drive than an ageing diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by weedram View Post
    2012 diesel wagon here.
    Bought at 12months old and 18k miles, now on 156k. Only minor, age related issues such as brakes and wheel bearings have been needed. Still on its original battery!

Every time I think about changing, I come to the conclusion that it would be a stupid amount to spend for a decent infotainment system. The Mondeo does everything thing else I need brilliantly.

It has the added bonus that I am in no way precious about it, so am happy to park it anywhere.
    Totally agree, I’m on the original battery as well. Mines a powershift auto so I do stress a bit that’s it’s going to go bang in the not too distant future but it’s been well maintained so fingers crossed

My Kawasaki hedge trimmer is well over a decade old. Does that count?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    Mine is a 2001 e39 525i brought in 2019 for £2600 with 44k on the clock now at 77k. Great car.

I’ve a 2016 Kia Sorento. Bought outright by me when it was a year old. They reset the warranty to 7 years.

Been very reliable, it’s the top of the range so has everything you could ever need. Self parking, heather seats and steering wheel. Air conditioning seats panorama roof, 360 camera, etc.

Only slight downside is it’s a tad thirsty at low 30 mpg. Can go higher when on the motorway though.

Like a few hear I ducked out of the car scheme and put the money into SIPP.

I’d quite like a snazzy prestige car on the drive, I can afford it if I want to. But I just think what that tax free pension contribution will provide when I retire. Should keep giving for a lot longer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    My Kawasaki hedge trimmer is well over a decade old. Does that count?
    Oh yes! For me it counts. I have no problems buying 2nd hand gardening tools with so many years of ‘experience’. One of my leaf blowers (Stihl) must be over 20 yrs old now. And still going strong.

Almost 20 years ago my uncle asked my advice on a new car, I told him to rush out and throw his money at a Skoda Fabia. He gave up driving three years ago and gave me the car, a 2004 1.4 16v Comfort. It's now on 60k miles and aside from not having much clutch left, is fantastic. 100bhp which means I can get up to speed (slowly, I'm hitting high 40s mpg!) and sit there in fifth gear everywhere. The combination of tyre walls and suspension means it rides really well and by left-foot braking it flies round roundabouts or corners, especially in the wet. Totally controllable and you really can carry silly amounts of speed really safely - going crosscountry off the A-roads the Skoda is more fun than my MX-5 running throttle bodies and about 170bhp. Add to that the width meaning it doesn't take up much space on country lanes, the excellent stereo, driving position with a wonderful seat and steering wheel and pedals lined up in front of you, it's a joy to drive.

I used to have a Lupo GTi and the handling always disappointed me. I tried left-foot braking in that but that era VAG cars would cut the throttle if you tried. I discovered with the Skoda if you lift off the throttle, apply the brake and then put your foot back on the throttle, you can play to your heart's content. It makes me want a Lupo GTi again now: 978kg, 125bhp and smaller than the Fabia.

My MX-5 is 25 years' old, the Austin-Healey just turned 65.

"A man of little significance"

The Yellow one is 1998, owned it since 2006, the Grey one is 2005 owned since new, to be fair I only use them in the summer

20 years old...

Sold this 20 years ago, now got an itch to get one again..

Last edited by number2; 14th November 2023 at 10:26.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    2012 Audi A3,45000 miles .

2011 Skoda Yeti, 115,000miles
    Could t ask for much more from a daily driver, family wagon, tip run, long holiday drive loaded with camping gear and roof rack and Henares all round awesomeness