closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New IWC Pilot 41 Performance Chronograph - IWC’s Daytona?

New IWC Pilot 41 Performance Chronograph - IWC’s Daytona?

Not spotted that anyone else has posted this so thought it was worth sharing.

Just landed on their websites and socials today. Comes with both the black ceratanium and lighter titanium cases.

The titanium & strap models start at £8,650 RRP which is about £1,300 premium to the 2021 AMG Petronas version but maybe a slight higher spec?

I’m a big fan but will be interested to see the wider response form the usual sources I.e. watch fans and watch media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Well .. I actually think it looks very ordinary. Like an IWC doing a Sinn knock-off (though the Sinn versions are better proportioned).

I find the IWC's proportions a bit odd - it's not a very big case, especially with the dial set inside the bezel so the subdials must be really tiny.

From a driver's watch perspective the older Ingenieur AMG versions work far better than a mucked-around-with Fliegerchrono.

I prefer my Doppel (and yes I know, it's a pilot's watch not a track watch):

But here's a driver's watch with the same movement (been on my shopping list for a while):

Master
    I much prefer chronos with the more standard tri compax dials like a Moonwatch or Daytona.
    This style always looks unbalanced to me I’m afraid.

Mer i personally prefer the earlier IWCs than their current line up .. this certainly not up there with Speedie / Daytona for me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I much prefer chronos with the more standard tri compax dials like a Moonwatch or Daytona.
    This style always looks unbalanced to me I’m afraid.
    I hadn't heard the phrase tri-compax before so thanks for educating me!

I may have to admit to being excited by a new release and suspect there's a bit of Emperor's new clothes with some of these new models!

But I do really like the 41mm size on the wrist having looked really closely at the previous Petronas chrono model.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    I hadn't heard the phrase tri-compax before so thanks for educating me!
    Now that’s a wormhole you might not want to go down!

Personally, I much prefer the classic styled IWC pilot watches. Nobody does it better, and I think they should stick to their strengths.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Now that’s a wormhole you might not want to go down!

Personally, I much prefer the classic styled IWC pilot watches. Nobody does it better, and I think they should stick to their strengths.

So do I or this Zenith which is far nicer.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...imited-Edition

Craftsman
    I must admit i like the look of these
    The titanium one could be for me just not sure of polished centre links on a titanium watch
    The other one looks lovely with the green details but what a price and a black bracelet is a no from me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman

New IWC Pilot 41 Performance Chronograph - IWC’s Daytona?

Vastly prefer the classic model. I can see why they did this (need some ‘premium’ features to justify price rise without alienating their core Pilot range) but frankly, all the classic models needs is lume on each numeral. The original works so well because it’s the cleanest iteration of 12 hour chrono/day/date in existence. Except for its predecessor (3706, take a bow).

Edit- the titanium is a good move. Should be an option on the standard model.

Last edited by Sweetwater; 14th November 2023 at 22:44.

Master
    Me too. Simplicity is key for a pilot's watch, and IWC excel at simple, clean pilot's watches.

One of two of my grails, my XVI....

I'm lucky enough to now own both of my grails.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 16th November 2023 at 21:58.

Genuinely surprised that most people prefer the older style pilots chrono than these new version.

Which is fine of course and maybe just splits the market like vintage SS Rolex vs new shiny ceramic versions.

I’d agreed that the ceratanium version is more of an acquired taste and definitely not on the bracelet.

For years one of my affordable ‘grail’ watches was the Laureus Soort for Goof Pilots Chronograph but the stars never aligned.

Looks cheap now!

https://tv.thewatchbox.com/latest-re...c-pilot-chrono

I don’t get the new versions with a tachymeter bezel, they look confused, some pilot elements, a motorsport feature, at a price that is outrageous. I do like the earlier Petronas with its funky colour scheme

The standard pilot chronograph I quite like, although I wasn’t please to see the magnetic field protection dropped in order to gaze at the movement. Omega dropped the iron cover of their Speedmaster, but at least brought in a non-magnetisable silicone hairspring.

I like the old 3706, and the current Sinn 356 isn’t a million miles away from that, probably related to Lothar Schmidt’s previous employment.

D

When the subdials are cutting into so many numbers, just remove the numbers already. I get that it's probably part of their design language or something, but it would look a lot cleaner with just markers and no numbers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    When the subdials are cutting into so many numbers, just remove the numbers already. I get that it's probably part of their design language or something, but it would look a lot cleaner with just markers and no numbers.
    Like the Doppel you mean :) The use of unchopped numbers is one of many things I like about both the Doppelchronograph 3711/3713 (mine's the 3713) and the Fliegerchronograph (3607).

I had the 3607 twice, going back to the start of the 00s the first time, but sold it both times as it was too small for my wrist at 39mm. The Doppel is perfect at 42mm. I actually don't think IWC have ever improved on it as a pilot chronograph. They buggered up the dial with the Spitfire versions, and in many ways I feel it's never quite gelled since then. (This doesn't apply to the non-chrono pilots in the same way).

The more I think about this new chronograph, the more I think IWC have lost the plot. Both Tag Heuer and Rolex have heritage in motor racing (along with the likes of Choppard, Breitling, Cartier, even Seiko). IWC doesn't really. Zenith make pilot watches, but no diver's watch - that's not a game they were in historically, at least not in any serious way, and they are quite right not to play the me-too.

IWC are known for Pilot's and Engineer's watches with protecection from magnetic fields (though they have bastardised their heritage a bit there too in recent years by removing the soft iron cage from some models). Dress watches (Portuguese) as well as smaller (if you must). Even the Aquatimer has a respectable history in the dive watch arena. But I simply can't see the point of this 'Performance Chronograph' - it's not adding any special complications useful for racing - the sort of thing that the double chronograph movement is for - and yet the price is still relatively high. A mistake I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    So do I or this Zenith which is far nicer.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...imited-Edition
    My old watch :)

Wears a bit small though.
    Last edited by kk; 15th November 2023 at 15:22.

I think you’ve made the mistake of trying to rationalise a part of the luxury watch market!

It’s merely an expensive trinket for men of a certain age and salary to make themselves feel better.

And that’s absolutely fine but let’s not pretend there’s some greater story behind the design and spec.

I picked up one of these 41mm chronos a while ago, after having a WTB on here for some time. To my mind it's perfect - well, aside from being 1mm too large (for me, at least, as I'd have been happier at 40mm). I'm very happy indeed with the dial layout, the quality and general fit & finish, and the authenticity in terms of the classic IWC pilot chrono. YMMV, of course.

Last edited by learningtofly; 15th November 2023 at 12:58.

I picked up one of these 41mm chronos a while ago, after having a WTB on here for some time. To my mind it's perfect - well, aside from bering 1mm too large (for me, at least, as I'd have been happier at 40mm). I'm very happy indeed with the dial layout, the quality and general fit & finish, and the authenticity in terms of the classic IWC pilot chrono. YMMV, of course.

Yep. I’d say that’s a pretty much the perfect modern pilots chronograph.

Apart from the fact it’s not £2,500

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Yep. I’d say that’s a pretty much the perfect modern pilots chronograph.

Apart from the fact it’s not £2,500

Too right! Oh, and IWC want about £1400 for the bracelet (so I guess it'll be staying on leather).

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Like the Doppel you mean :)
    Indeed, your Doppel looks much better. Also agreed on the rest of your post btw.

Craftsman
    Personally, I much prefer the classic styled IWC pilot watches. Nobody does it better, and I think they should stick to their strengths.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I picked up one of these 41mm chronos a while ago, after having a WTB on here for some time. To my mind it's perfect - well, aside from being 1mm too large (for me, at least, as I'd have been happier at 40mm). I'm very happy indeed with the dial layout, the quality and general fit & finish, and the authenticity in terms of the classic IWC pilot chrono. YMMV, of course.

Hi Tony, any real life photos. I tried on the 41 in black earlier this week- liked it a lot, wasn’t in a boutique so not greens available. The photos I have seen on instagram seem to have a less vibrant tone, more British racing green than Hulk green. I have a hulk and love green but would not want the same colour again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Now this is what I like.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/iw...77724-hands-on

Never put it on a bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Hi Tony, any real life photos. I tried on the 41 in black earlier this week- liked it a lot, wasn’t in a boutique so not greens available. The photos I have seen on instagram seem to have a less vibrant tone, more British racing green than Hulk green. I have a hulk and love green but would not want the same colour again.
    Yes, it’s definitely far less vibrant IRL, and sometimes barely looks green at all. I’ll post a couple of images tomorrow.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it’s definitely far less vibrant IRL, and sometimes barely looks green at all. I’ll post a couple of images tomorrow.
    many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    many thanks!
    Sorry they're not a bit sharper, Phil. However, these two are typical of the normal level of saturation/vibrancy of the dial...

And this is about as green as it ever gets...

It's normally very subtle, and in some light looks black. In other words, the stock IWC images are nothing like the watch IRL (fortunately I'd tried it on before buying it, so I knew what to expect).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th November 2023 at 14:03.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Tony. I don’t mind it looking black a lot of the time- I was rather taken by the black one so black and sometimes green works. I am also rather smitten with the navitimer in minty green with black sun-dials. I don’t think much of a deal will be available on either and can’t afford both.

Regards the original thread topic, I like the look for the watches but find the pilots driving watch an odd blend. The tachymetre doesn’t bother me too much as it always seems a bit of a useless inclusion to me on most watches.