closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leica, errr... watches.

Leica, errr... watches.

I don't recall anyone referencing them on TZ, but I couldn't help but notice Leica's recent launch of their ZM 11 three-hander. Quite a smart looking watch, actually, and the movement is sourced from Chronode who, themselves, have an inetersting (if relatively short) history of collaborations.

Just wondered what people thought, and why we see so little about the brand. Starting price in the EU appears to be ¢6,300, although I'm not sure what the UK list will be.

Thanks for posting and always good to see new stuff that's outside the usual brands.

A fairly stark classic design but has some appeal and I'm sure there's been some real thought about how the design evokes Leica's heritage and design ethos.

Not a huge fan of the integrated bracelet look but the fabric strap looks better to me.

Having looked at their website I think I'm more taken with their ZM1 & ZM2 watches thought these appear to have been much more expensive at around $11,000+

https://timeandtidewatches.com/3-rea...-a-watchmaker/

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...s%20new%20line.

I think they look pretty good actually!!

The thick straps are interesting too, and the bracelet looks great.

Yeah well...

Let me gibe you two answers:

I wouldn't buy an expensive fountain pen from Rolex.

Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

Master
    I recall someone posting about the ZM1 when they were first announced. I think I prefer that to these newer offerings, that somehow have the feel of being Chat GPT - designed..

What's absolutely baffling to me though is the font chosen for the logo. I think it looks a bit off, and anyway why would they not use the existing, globally recognisable Leica cursive logo..

Master
    I love the blue dial, the indices, the handset and the bracelet. But the crown looks odd not fitting flush to the casework.

Different from the norm though. Price is very high, bang in the middle of very well established watchmakers out there. I would hope the crystal has superior AR coating both sides too.

The proprietary strap changing system would worry me as well.

Obviously the strap may connect to the endlink with a conventional 20mm spring bar but I would not have a lot of confidence that Leica will have an infinite quantity of spares.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I love the blue dial, the indices, the handset and the bracelet. But the crown looks odd not fitting flush to the casework.

Different from the norm though. Price is very high, bang in the middle of very well established watchmakers out there. I would hope the crystal has superior AR coating both sides too.
    I assumed it was pulled out for the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I recall someone posting about the ZM1 when they were first announced. I think I prefer that to these newer offerings, that somehow have the feel of being Chat GPT - designed..

What's absolutely baffling to me though is the font chosen for the logo. I think it looks a bit off, and anyway why would they not use the existing, globally recognisable Leica cursive logo..
    Don't know the answer, save that greater minds than ours would have spent some time considering the options and their respective pros & cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post

Possibly pulled out, or perhaps the consequence of re-implementing the crown push function from the ZM1/2. Either way it has 100m WR.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    The proprietary strap changing system would worry me as well.

Obviously the strap may connect to the endlink with a conventional 20mm spring bar but I would not have a lot of confidence that Leica will have an infinite quantity of spares.
    Don't get the point you're making, Alun, tbh. In any event, this looks a lot like the IWC EasX-CHANGE system, which can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Don't get the point you're making, Alun, tbh. In any event, this looks a lot like the IWC EasX-CHANGE system, which can only be a good thing.
    If the video below shows the IWC system then I don't see that it's the same:

The Leica blurb would presumably have a TM mention if it was the IWC system rather than mention "the ZM 11’s innovative Easy-Change locking system". What happens when your strap wears out? How long will Leica continue to stock spares if it's their own system?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

The Leica blurb would presumably have a TM mention if it was the IWC system rather than mention "the ZM 11’s innovative Easy-Change locking system". What happens when your strap wears out? How long will Leica continue to stock spares if it's their own system?
    Can’t answer that, I’m afraid

I haven't researched it, but the IWC system looks way superior in that one could use 'traditional' straps/bracelets by removing the spring bars?

Love the look of these, I’m sure they would be amazing in the flesh!

Not so keen on the existing collection but they do have some interesting design elements.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Getting the Moser Streamliner mixed with the modern Ingenieur vibe of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Getting the Moser Streamliner mixed with the modern Ingenieur vibe of that.
    Same (especially re the Moser). Love it on the bracelet, in fact.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Same (especially re the Moser). Love it on the bracelet, in fact.
    Quit right. I like it, a lot!

Reminds me of some of the odder IWC Porsche Designs, like the 3542 (and, perhaps, the 3524) crossed with a Piaget Polo dial. Possibly.