closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which dash cam

Which dash cam

I think i want a dash cam. Which ones are decent?

I have a Nextbase which has served me well for years, I recommend the GPS versions that have position and speed recorded.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Happy BlackVue user here - DR650 circa 2016, updated this year to a DR970X which has much better night recording.

Small and discreet which was important to me.

Master
    I’ve got a Nextbase 222x with the rear camera that looks through the car out of the rear window to avoid wiring.

It’s a good image with the optional polariser, and captured clear and detailed front and rear footage including number plates for the police when a road rage donkey did a fake side swipe into my car and in the process lost control and hit the barriers and closed the A1 for a while.

Wouldn’t be without one now, with roads as they are, my old Amazon special that I gifted to a friend a couple of years back was also useful just a month or so ago when she was hit and the other party tried to blame her. It captured enough basic footage to show exactly what happened even though it was dark and raining.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I’ve got a Nextbase 222x with the rear camera that looks through the car out of the rear window to avoid wiring.

It’s a good image with the optional polariser, and captured clear and detailed front and rear footage including number plates for the police when a road rage donkey did a fake side swipe into my car and in the process lost control and hit the barriers and closed the A1 for a while.

Wouldn’t be without one now, with roads as they are, my old Amazon special that I gifted to a friend a couple of years back was also useful just a month or so ago when she was hit and the other party tried to blame her. It captured enough basic footage to show exactly what happened even though it was dark and raining.
    I have the Nextbase 622GW with the add on rear view camera in my F-Pace. Works well and the rear camera is pretty good too, looking back through the car out of the rear window. Had it fitted on the drive by their fitting partners and all went well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Bought one off Ebay for $15.00 from China. Box is different from what I got. Haven't really checked if I can view it off the cam, but do have a unit at home to place the micro SD card in.

Maybe I should figure out how to play it off the dash cam if ever needed in case of an accident

I e got a Viofo a119v3 front cam only in my car, my wife has a Vantrue E1 front cam only and my son has a Blackvue 4k with a front and rear cam.

In terms of prices, mine and the wife’s were about £100 and I fitted them myself, my sons fitted was north of £600.

Not too sure about my sons but I’ve found the nighttime recording from the Viofo and Vantrue disappointing as everything is just bloomed out so much so that it’s difficult to make out the reg numbers in cars. Not too sure if there are settings that can be adjusted but then I’m not too sure if there are separate settings for day and night ?

Master
    We have Blackvue models in all our cars. Really need to upgrade 2 of them as they are not as clear as modern tech can deliver these days.

We went Blackvue as like the smaller footprint / subtlety they seem to have once fitted. We run my wife’s with a battery pack so it’s always on when she’s parked at work like a poor-man Tesla Sentry as the parking area is pretty nasty.

Master
    Thinkware 800pro user here.. front and rear. Had it for around 3 years no problems. Even managed to get a dangerous driver prosecuted by sending footage to West Mids police👍

Master
    I probably need to format all the cards, as the state of our roads must have blocked half the cards up with collisions from potholes.

Brother has nextbase and seems happy with it, think they’re more at the cheaper end. We had a BlackVue which we were happy with but gave it to our mother in law when we traded in the car. If possible I would get the 2 channel front and back.

I bought a Nextbase 522 with the rear camera after an earlier Nextbase device was nicked and it is just fine, but it needs to be used with the supplied cable rather than just using a USB outlet, which is a shame as it is more bulky, as a regular USB seems not to deliver sufficient power .

Thank you all. Looking to spend less than 200, ideally closer to 100. Having a rear view seems pretty important to me, and good enough quality to see number plates and other relevant details.

I have a 70mai that came from aliexpress. It’s been good enough to land one person a police interview.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Oh yeah - when you do get one always check it’s plugged in after a car service.

They tend to unplug them.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Oh yeah - when you do get one always check it’s plugged in after a car service.

They tend to unplug them.
    And Meet and Greet…no way they are letting you see where your cars been kept!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Garmin mini 2 works a treat for me

Garmin 67W front and Mini 2 back

Craftsman
    If you hold on until 17th Nov, you might be able to get a Nextbase 222XR front and rear bundle (not listed currently) in the Amazon black Friday sale - simple and works really well, including parking mode.. I think I paid around £80 and then added the hardwire kit £20 and a SanDisk Max Endurance 64gb card £20. Or better still.. there's currently a 320xr frt/RR + card bundle deal on Halfords for £109.. I'd get that.

I got a NextBase 322 GW this summer from the NextBase shop on ebay for £70. It works well, although Kent’s degraded road network mean that many sequences are locked (need to be unlocked for deletion: the dashcam reacts as if a small rta has occurred)
    Thought about a rear one (either attached to the front cam, or on the rear window and decided against it as the above locked sequence will show you did not reverse or brake test the car behind if it hits you, and it was too much trouble.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman

Dashcam options

Hi

Suggest you may want to look at the reviews by Autoexpress - usually pretty good........

L

Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    If you hold on until 17th Nov, you might be able to get a Nextbase 222XR front and rear bundle (not listed currently) in the Amazon black Friday sale - simple and works really well, including parking mode.. I think I paid around £80 and then added the hardwire kit £20 and a SanDisk Max Endurance 64gb card £20. Or better still.. there's currently a 320xr frt/RR + card bundle deal on Halfords for £109.. I'd get that.
    Sold on the 320XR bundle.

Thanks you all who took the time to reply

Can't go wrong with Nextbase.

Garmin are okay, but having owned one I can't really justify the premium cost against my old Nextbase. If anything, the wider FOV made it harder to make out details like reg plates.