closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pelagos 39- owners opinions?

Craftsman

Pelagos 39- owners opinions?

I’ve been considering a Pelagos 39 a while now and tried one in York last weekend. There was a lot I liked however I was surprised at how light it was. The weight of it has actually put me off a bit, I can’t get my head around the fact that being light doesn’t mean fragile or poor quality- I know it doesn’t! It was probably exaggerated by the fact that I tried a couple of Seamasters on at the same time.
    I had a Pelagos for a short while and don’t remember it feeling particularly light.
    Any Pelagos 39 owners here who felt the same but bought it anyway? How long did it take you to get used to it?
    Photo for the sake of it…

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

When I first tried one on, I was also extremely conscious of the watches lightness.

I can’t say it’s something that I now notice and that’s having purchased and worn one on a nato for perhaps as part of my rotation for the last 6 months or so.

It’s a great watch, a fair bit smaller than Rolex dive watches I’d worn in the past and that’s something I appreciate.

Good look with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lightness attracted me to the watch. But I moved it on. Cheaper than a Rolex but not a cheap watch and I was unimpressed with the lack of quality of the plip and bezel. Once I noticed the lack of quality it annoyed me and I moved it on.

I have one and really like it. The size for me is perfect, it is very light but I wear it for cycling and windsurfing so I really love that aspect. I had to buy the uncle Seiko half link but now the fit is spot on. I think you can't go wrong - especially if buying pre- owned. I used to own the 42mm, but this one is an all round better fit for me. I don't think the bezel sound is something that I've noticed or would detract from my enjoyment of the watch

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I bought one especially for the lightness! After several large ,heavy, chunky divers I find the quality spot on, and since I bought it three months ago I have only had to re-set the time once (it was 2 sec fast!). The bracelet is superb and the micro adjustment just makes it so easy to wear.Cheers, John B4

Master
    A lot of people do share that view but I attribute light weight to comfort.

Craftsman
    I wear mine daily (mainly because of fear of wearing other watches in central London).

It’s a reasonable watch but It’s not going to stir the loins. It’s dependable, clean and practical but it’s pretty boring.

The dial is the worst part of it. It has fairly uninspiring sunburst finish and lots of negative space. Lume blocks seem a little unrefined and I prefer the rehaut on the proper Pelagos. Lume quality is pretty poor.

Case, lugs, bezel, crown and crown guards are really nice. I miss having polished sides and bevels on the case but appreciate this is an impossibility with Grade 2 Ti. Bezel action is good.

Bracelet has a 5 digit Rolex feel to it. I like it. I added an Uncle Seiko half-link and I have a small wrist.

Tfit clasp gives you minimal adjustment for the size of it. It’s a good system though. There is a dive extension taking up unnecessary real estate in the clasp which I personally could live without but others may find useful. I find the T-fit clasp very sharp edged inside and out, which makes the watch somewhat uncomfortable when worn tight.

I like the weight. It feels a bit light when you first move from steel but you soon get used to it.

It scratches very easily but equally refinishing is equally easy.

Craftsman

Thanks everyone, I think I can relate to most the points that have been raised. It sounds like it could be a solid used buy. Try it and if I don’t get on with it, move it on.
    I’m choosing a watch for an upcoming birthday and have a few on the radar. The only thing is once I’ve made the purchase it will be a while before I can get another one.

Last edited by Bobbyf; 5th November 2023 at 19:16.

Not an owner but one thing I noticed when trying one on, was how close to the crystal the dial furniture was or seemed - it really was pleasing to the eye.

As far as lightness is concerned, it did feel exactly like a titanium watch does, which can give the impression of cheapness. I didn’t think the build quality was sub-par though.

It would have been nice to keep some of the characteristics from the bigger 42mm, like the recessed markers in the chapter ring and matt dial.

A nice watch but could be improved to make it a great watch.
    Last edited by namzo; 6th November 2023 at 14:40.

Master

I love my Pelagos 39, it’s a great watch. I’ve worn mine as a daily for the last year or so and never thought it was too light. Having said that, I’ve just picked up a FXD and must say I prefer it…