closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now and Then - Beatles

Now and Then - Beatles

Interesting release. Sounded moving to me and bit like some of Liam's solo tracks

https://thebeatles.lnk.to/NowAndThen

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Suspect it was synchronised across the networks - I heard it on 5 live at the same time

First UK radio play on Craig Charles show on 6 Music:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0...n=share-mobile

The track itself obviously plus chat from eggspurts & superfans etc.

Master
    Just listened to it.

Decent job of cleaning up and orchestrating it, but - as I expected - it's poor. It had to be, or we'd have heard it years, or decades ago.

Slightly disagree, as I said to my brother, its not terrible, but it's deffo one for the fans...

I've never understood the love for the beatles. They're okay and obviously successful but both musically (playing) and vocally very average. A product of their time much like Take That etc. Good but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I've never understood the love for the beatles. They're okay and obviously successful but both musically (playing) and vocally very average. A product of their time much like Take That etc. Good but not great.
    Supposedly they inspired Dylan to go electric. The Beatles were continuously going electric, so to speak. Anyway that is how I see them, but I get it that others disagree.

As a fan, the new song is not great, but is that really the point?

It's an interesting historical artifact but I'm too young for it to mean anything to me.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Interesting release. Sounded moving to me and bit like some of Liam's solo tracks
    Is it as cheesy and catchy as this?

Whatever happened to 'The Beatles Are Sh!te' thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Not a patch on that LG modern classic

Master
    Blog Entries

Absolute rubbish.

You are hearing but not listening.

John and Paul 2 of the raunchiest rock and roll singers ever and when they wanted the whole band gave us the greatest harmony's.

Plus they could play their instruments and they did it with soul and conviction.

If you walked past a venue and heard this blasting out the doors you would push your way in as relevant today as ever.

At 12 minutes in they turn the dial up to 11 with enough energy to light a small town.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Please,please,please NEVER mention those clowns in the same breath as the Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Please,please,please NEVER mention those clowns in the same breath as the Beatles.
    Those?

Absolute rubbish.

John and Paul 2 of the raunchiest rock and roll singers ever and when they wanted the whole band gave us the greatest harmony's.

Plus they could play their instruments and they did it with soul and conviction.

If you walked past a venue and heard this blasting out the doors you would push your way in as relevant today as ever.

At 12 minutes in they turn the dial up to 11 with enough energy to light a small town.

Agree 100% and then some.
    New song is a bit of a blandola though imho.

Absolute rubbish.

Rubbish?? It's subjective. Name the top 10 musicians on any instrument and in the mainstream music business and none of the beatles would even come close to making the list. If you like them Good for you but the reality is they're average at best.

Master
    Rubbish?? It's subjective. Name the top 10 musicians on any instrument and in the mainstream music business and none of the beatles would even come close to making the list. If you like them Good for you but the reality is they're average at best.
    Hard to see an average band being talked about on a watch forum 50 years after they broke up.

I think they hold every musical record so if that’s average give me average bands all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bass guitar?

You really don't know what you're talking about.

As far as I can tell this song is pretty much Paul McCartney with some AI doing John's voice. Not exactly a Beatles song.

I'm a massive Beatles fan, but it sounds like dredging. I'm sure Macca's doing it for all the right reasons, but it's not for me.

As for the comments about 'those clowns', you need to open your eyes and ears, old man.

At least the insult is more moderate than before, he used to call them chavs

Master
    Paul McCartney was a stunning, and extremely influential bass player - not a flash player like Geddy Lee or Chris Squire, but from Rubber Soul onwards he more or less invented a certain highly melodic tuneful style that influenced and was copied by legions of younger bass players.

Lennon was a very strong rhythm player; have a go at I Feel Fine if you play guitar.

But anyway operating their instruments isn't the point of the music. The songs that they wrote, and performed with such charisma and aplomb were light years ahead of, and better than their competition. No-one had ever made an album like Pepper. If not for The Beatles there'd be no Pink Floyd, no Yes, actually progressive rock as we know it wouldn't even exist.

The Beatles' impact on all of popular culture, not merely popular music, cannot be overstated. I like to dig out this quote from Ian MacDonald's Revolution in the Head for these occasions:

When Sgt Pepper was released in June [1967], it was a major cultural event. Young and old alike were entranced. Attending a party with a group of rich older women, EMI boss Sir Joseph Lockwood found them so "thrilled" by the album that they sat on the floor after dinner singing extracts from it. In America normal radio play was virtuall suspended for several days, only tracks from Sgt Pepper being played.

An almost religious awe surrounded the LP. Paul Kantner of the San Francisco acid rock band jefferson Airplane remembers how The Byrds' David Cosby brought a tape of Sgt Pepper to their Seattle hotel and played it all night in the lobby with a hundred young fans listening quietly on the stairs, as if rapt by a spiritual experience. 'Something', says Kantner, 'enveloped the whole world at that time and it just exploded into a renaissance.'

The psychic shiver which Sgt Pepper sent through the world was nothing less than a cinematic dissolve from one Zeitgeist to another. In The Times, Kenneth Tynan it 'a decisive moment in the history of Western Civilisation'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    As far as I can tell this song is pretty much Paul McCartney with some AI doing John's voice. Not exactly a Beatles song.

I'm a massive Beatles fan, but it sounds like dredging. I'm sure Macca's doing it for all the right reasons, but it's not for me.

As for the comments about 'those clowns', you need to open your eyes and ears, old man.
    I think that AI has been used to dig the vocal track out of the cassette, but it's not artificial per se. I do agree with you though, it's a poor song.

Master
    There is a big difference between being proficient on instruments and being able to write songs that connect with people and whilst I am for sure not the Beatles greatest fan they sure did that.

There is a boat load of amazingly proficient musicians on the planet that lack creativity and end up being session musicians at best.

Equally there are plenty of bands not so talented that can write great songs and have sold plenty of records.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Paul McCartney was a stunning, and extremely influential bass player - not a flash player like Geddy Lee or Chris Squire, but from Rubber Soul onwards he more or less invented a certain highly melodic tuneful style that influenced and was copied by legions of younger bass players.

Lennon was a very strong rhythm player; have a go at I Feel Fine if you play guitar.

But anyway operating their instruments isn't the point of the music. The songs that they wrote, and performed with such charisma and aplomb were light years ahead of, and better than their competition. No-one had ever made an album like Pepper. If not for The Beatles there'd be no Pink Floyd, no Yes, actually progressive rock as we know it wouldn't even exist.

The Beatles' impact on all of popular culture, not merely popular music, cannot be overstated. I like to dig out this quote from Ian MacDonald's Revolution in the Head for these occasions:

When Sgt Pepper was released in June [1967], it was a major cultural event. Young and old alike were entranced. Attending a party with a group of rich older women, EMI boss Sir Joseph Lockwood found them so "thrilled" by the album that they sat on the floor after dinner singing extracts from it. In America normal radio play was virtuall suspended for several days, only tracks from Sgt Pepper being played.

An almost religious awe surrounded the LP. Paul Kantner of the San Francisco acid rock band jefferson Airplane remembers how The Byrds' David Cosby brought a tape of Sgt Pepper to their Seattle hotel and played it all night in the lobby with a hundred young fans listening quietly on the stairs, as if rapt by a spiritual experience. 'Something', says Kantner, 'enveloped the whole world at that time and it just exploded into a renaissance.'

The psychic shiver which Sgt Pepper sent through the world was nothing less than a cinematic dissolve from one Zeitgeist to another. In The Times, Kenneth Tynan it 'a decisive moment in the history of Western Civilisation'.
    That may all be true but I think their music sounds shit.
    I really like High flying birds and some of Liam's stuff so feel I should like it but I don't.
    Love the Rolling Stones old stuff though and feel it is more timeless for me.
    YMMV

Master
    Blog Entries
    Those?

Anything by those 2 brothers I wont name the band from the desert.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its not about being the best its way more than that, its about soul and heart.

Like riding motorbikes if I have to tell you why you wont understand.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If people are happy with the bland thats fine.

Buy a half decent stereo with record player.

Buy the white album remastered,turn the lights down,turn your phone off sit down,do nothing and listen..

Its led me to appreciate songs I hadn't noticed so much before and in particular realise just how good Ringos drumming was and I believe sometimes
    Paul.

Here's the 1977 demo, followed by the new version -

Apparently George Harrision is playing rhythm guitar, but I don't think Paul and Ringo were ever intended to play on it; I can't help thinking it's a John Lennon solo song. Overall though, I think the world's a slightly better place because of this.

I thought this Guardian article/review was quite interesting, and has sparked a possible reconsideration of my somewhat tarnished view of McCartney: https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...nd-then-review

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    That may all be true but I think their music sounds shit.
    I really like High flying birds and some of Liam's stuff so feel I should like it but I don't.
    Love the Rolling Stones old stuff though and feel it is more timeless for me.
    YMMV
    Bad Hood… naughty Hood… in your bed…

Listen to the B side of Revolver and in particular And Your Bird Can Sing. Listen to Paperback Writer, then listen to the B-side, Rain. Listen to Only a Northern Song and Hey Bulldog from Yellow Submarine. Then there's Sgt Pepper's…

I know music's subjective and appreciation is in the ear of the listener, but if you honestly think these sound shit then you're just not a music fan.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 3rd November 2023 at 10:39.

Master
    Either you like it or you don't, it really is no big deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Here's the 1977 demo, followed by the new version -

Apparently George Harrision is playing rhythm guitar, but I don't think Paul and Ringo were ever intended to play on it; I can't help thinking it's a John Lennon solo song.
    It is. He made this demo a couple of years before Double Fantasy was recorded and if it wasn't good enough for that, it's surely not good enough to be a Beatles song. I think George's contribution comes from work they did on it in the '90s.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Where is the money going?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Where is the money going?
    Macca's luxuriant hair fund.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The music speaks for it self as does the fashion,the humour and the influence on culture.

Not to mention some fab,gear words.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    There is a big difference between being proficient on instruments and being able to write songs that connect with people and whilst I am for sure not the Beatles greatest fan they sure did that.

There is a boat load of amazingly proficient musicians on the planet that lack creativity and end up being session musicians at best.

Equally there are plenty of bands not so talented that can write great songs and have sold plenty of records.
    Nail/head.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Rolling Stone's 50 greatest bassists... at number 9, Macca

and Rolling Stone's 250 greatest guitarists... at number 31, George Harrison. (although he was number 11 when they did the survey back in 2011).

But, as has already been said, it's not about their virtuosity in any instrument... take some virtuoso instrumentalists and you're more likely to end up with Mr Big than the Beatles... Like them or not, that's everyone's prerogative, but they're anything but average.

Saying the Beatles were shit is akin to saying McCartney died in 1966, it's ridiculous. You can say you don't like them and don't like their music, but you can't say they were shit and be taken seriously. And if McCartney did die in 66 the remaining members did a good job of finding a doppleganger that co wrote the Sgt Peppers, White Album, Yellow Submarine, Abbey Rd, and Let it be albums, formed Wings after the Beatles breakup and went on to write a further 26 albums of which 8 reached number one and released 98 singles of which 8 reached number one.

Gotta be honest, after hearing it again several times today I'm beginning to realise why he never released it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Macca's luxuriant hair fund.

Ah, well no wonder he felt the need to squeeze the pips out of the past …

I certainly won't be adding this track to my collection of Beatles tracks, it's weak and sounds artificial.

The suggestion that they are 'shit' or on a par with Take That though are beneath justifying with a response.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

There's now an 'Official Music Video' on the Beatles YouTube channel, which I must say is very well done. I also have to say that the song is growing on me.

Blog Entries
    Let's face it, you're either Beatles or Stones.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

No,both.

No,both.
    Me too, very much both.

Master
    Love the Stones and Beatles too. And the Kinks, the Who, The Byrd's etc.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Beatles. Best ever, bar non IMHO.

That's video is emotional - Maccas remains the master at tugging the heart strings!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why would you have to choose one or the other? Both great.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

That's video is emotional - Maccas remains the master at tugging the heart strings!

I was in pieces

Master
    After watching Get back on Disney it became apparent to me that Macca was the driving force behind the Beatles.

Also reinforced my hate for Yoko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk