closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm Ciaran

Blog Entries

Storm Ciaran

It looks like it's going to hit the south - southeastern part of the UK. Stay safe!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wind wise it’s going to worse than Storm Babet 100mph in exposed places. Channel Islands have locked down apparently. The eye is forecast to pass over the Midlands so we will miss the strongest of the winds.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    It looks like it's going to hit the south - southeastern part of the UK. Stay safe!
    We're getting the start now in the south west and it's blowing a hoolie already.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 1st November 2023 at 15:53.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Plymouth an hour ago.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    It’ll be bad if it hits the southeast, maybe they’ll peddle out the mobile warning system and cover it on the news.

I think it’s the southwest that is going to be harder hit - certainly we just had a weird squall with lightning.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Plymouth an hour ago.

R
    That looks awesome. Any filters or is that as the eye sees it?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Sweet FA in Bristol. It’s a bit windy but nothing to write home about.

Master
    One secondary school round here closed tomorrow and Itchen Bridge closed from 7 pm this evening.

Makes me wonder how we managed before named storms and all the scaremongering on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Sweet FA in Bristol. It’s a bit windy but nothing to write home about.
    Give it a couple of hours.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just been down to the beach to lash mine and others boats down properly to the chains ... fingers crossed ...

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    We’re away for a few days in Cotswolds. Castle Combe was wet earlier, as was Bath, but no wind. Currently edge of Gloucester/Gloucester Quays. It’s cold, but nowt else.
    The current map on Beeb has it restricted to much of Cornwall /SW, and Sussex/Kent corridor…
    But we all remember Michael Fish….

Master
    Max gusts 40-45mph here in Bristol according to met office.

Storm Ciaran

Big issue is not the severity of the storm by itself, it is the severity of the storm coincident with trees still being in leaf that will create havoc with many downed trees.

Most winter storms come after the trees have shed their leaves.

That was one of the reasons the Oct 87 storm had such an impact, and Sevenoaks became no oaks.

/\ /\ /\
    This plus all the rain we’ve had in the last 7 day making the ground very soft so the possibility of some large trees being uprooted increases. It should make an interesting walk into work tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    I was 20kms inland from the Dutch coastal line this afternoon and now at home, 120 km to the east. The difference in wind speeds is incredible.

With the eye of the storm over the UK, we’re about to prepare for S-SE winds. Rather odd. Combine that with all the leafs on the trees… yes I suppose a bunch will snap or fall down.

Big issue is not the severity of the storm by itself, it is the severity of the storm coincident with trees still being in leaf that will create havoc with many downed trees.

That was one of the reasons the Oct 87 storm had such an impact, and Sevenoaks became no oaks.
    To be fair, most healthy trees weather in leaf or not generally survive a storm. Its old, diseased ,damaged or rotten trees that will suffer the consequences of strong gusts.

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    To be fair, most healthy trees weather in leaf or not generally survive a storm. Its old, diseased ,damaged or rotten trees that will suffer the consequences of strong gusts.
    That is not true. The surface area of a tree in leaf is just exponentially greater than one not in leaf. Of course a stronger rooted tree will always have a better chance.

If you are old enough to remember the Oct 87 storm (I was 8 floors up in student accommodation in Bath on the top of a hill and remember it to this day) it flattened tens of thousands of trees because they were in leaf at the time, coupled with a ferocious storm.

That is not true. The surface area of a tree in leaf is just exponentially greater than one not in leaf. Of course a stronger rooted tree will always have a better chance.

If you are old enough to remember the Oct 87 storm (I was 8 floors up in student accommodation in Bath on the top of a hill and remember it to this day) it flattened tens of thousands of trees because they were in leaf at the time, coupled with a ferocious storm.
    Well in that case, there should be hundreds if not thousands of trees down in the morning…. As there should be thousands of fence panels down. Should keep tree surgeons in work for rest of the year and see shortage of fencing materials on the way…

Well in that case, there should be hundreds if not thousands of trees down in the morning…. As there should be thousands of fence panels down. Should keep tree surgeons in work for rest of the year and see shortage of fencing materials on the way…
    Trees are high up. I am just correlating wind speed with surface area of the tree. Nothing more. It just significantly increases the risk of fallen trees. Plus risk of a tree falling will go up exponentially with wind speed. So not many at 60 mph, but 1000s at 100 mph.

Fence panels are low down and in most cases have the wind deflected by buildings.

Master
    Here in Hampshire I’m not sure what’s going on. It’s either passed or still to come but it’s currently cloudy with virtually no breeze. Perhaps the eye??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Here in Hampshire I’m not sure what’s going on. It’s either passed or still to come but it’s currently cloudy with virtually no breeze. Perhaps the eye??
    Current wind map

Cycling to work in the eye of the storm. No wind. No rain.

Blog Entries
    I live exactly on the most-right edge of this map. It’s windy for sure where I live. And sunny! But nothing to worry about. It will pick up later today though when the ‘darkest patch’ of the wind will move parallel to the Dutch coastline.

Interestingly: the wind direction. S-SE here. That’s uncommon but it’s obvious with this route of the depression.

Oh well, a few extra logs on the workshop’s burner, the dog on a dog bed in the corner and I off for another day in my workshop tinkering.

All calm here, except we’ve run out of toilet paper.

Time to go panic buying!
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    I found this on Twitter/X. Short vid about a dropping barometer.

Barometers are fascinating! (Not close to where I live, somewhere in the SE of the UK, I presume)

https://x.com/HelenJKnott/status/171...278168081?s=20

Master
    Met office just cancelled the wind warning between 6am and 12 today

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Just been down to the beach to lash mine and others boats down properly to the chains ... fingers crossed ...
    Hope your boat made it.
    Mine is in Portland Marina. It has a degree of shelter from blows with an S or W in it thanks to the Chesil bank so hopefully survived the night. More wind to come today though.

Great shot from Plymouth Ralphy. I'm never around when a big storm hits my part of the south coast, nature is awesome.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Barometer down to 956 here in the Midlands. Don't think I've ever seen it that low.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My barograph is off the scale.

Must be 955. Never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Barometer down to 956 here in the Midlands. Don't think I've ever seen it that low.
    We got to 953 at 03:00, now 970.

Strong winds, trees down and roads closed due to flooding.

R

Just very light wind in Darlington.
    No rain at the moment. 11°C. 964 Mbars

Nice bit of kit.

Master
    952.9 just now in West Lincs, fairly light breeze, but strengthening noticeably.

Forecast 40mph gusts this afternoon, and if that’s all it is then great.

Master
    SE Kent really windy early but it’s eased now - torrential rain now
    IMG_3864 by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 2nd November 2023 at 13:04.

West Devon here

Between 6 and 8 we got some strong gusts but passed through quickly, I'm in a valley though edge of Dartmoor so protected a bit

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Nothing much here in Surrey.

Heard the rain on the bedroom window in the night but I took Dot out this morning around 10 am and it wasn't raining and no damage to the woods so the winds couldn't have been much.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

962 here in Essex, seems about right.

Master
    Here on the coast in Portishead we have gusts up to 45mph as predicted and a spatter of rain. Nothing to write home about.

Quite calm now here on Dartmoor , just dark and rainy with a breeze

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    952.9 just now in West Lincs, fairly light breeze, but strengthening noticeably.

Forecast 40mph gusts this afternoon, and if that’s all it is then great.
    965 and a very light breeze just further up in South Yorks at the moment. It actually started out quite sunny but has clouded over since but no rain so far.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    962 here in Essex, seems about right.

Be careful out there at those pressures your cups of tea won’t taste the same :)
    Last edited by higham5; 2nd November 2023 at 19:32.

Master

Or One Oak, if you like facts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just seen the damage in Jersey, terrible.

Master
    Just seen the damage in Jersey, terrible.
    Power of a storm is astounding.

I was 11 in the 87 storms and cannot believe the carnage we had in Kent. We lost a few very mature and seemingly very healthy trees in that one.

Some garden views never returned, which was a shame.

Blog Entries
    With most of the force gone, I think it's safe to say that it was a good call to stay out of the forest... I think that every tree a spotted (and we have a lot of those here) lost branches; thick and thin. It's a mess on the the ground. Like written above: I think that the leafs play an important role here; nearly all branches on the ground had leafs still on them.

The Channel Islands have taken the brunt of this, not fun for them.
    In contrast I have just said to the Mrs “oh it’s just got a bit windy out there” it’s been very benign in London. Nothing much at all.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd November 2023 at 14:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Power of a storm is astounding.

I was 11 in the 87 storms and cannot believe the carnage we had in Kent. We lost a few very mature and seemingly very healthy trees in that one.

Some garden views never returned, which was a shame.
    I was a student in Brighton in 87 and walked home in the eye of that storm a lot worse for wear, walked across the old stien at about 2am … didn’t realise the situation until I woke up the next morning and saw the carnage. I was lucky …

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Or One Oak, if you like facts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Correct.
    Not far from me at the time...

Master
    I was a student in Brighton in 87 and walked home in the eye of that storm a lot worse for wear, walked across the old stien at about 2am … didn’t realise the situation until I woke up the next morning and saw the carnage. I was lucky …
    Wow, you were walking with a guardian angel that night!

Correct.
    Not far from me at the time...
    I was Herne Bay (ish), but we had good family friends in Sevenoaks, was astounded to have seen the difference after the 6 were lost.

The morning after the storm of 87 was the only day I got taken to school in the family car.
    My mother insisted it was too dangerous to walk so my father had to drive me in his brand new Sierra Cosworth and he moaned all the way.
    Fond memories…
    He still moans about selling that car.