closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cameron Brooksbank -RIP

Cameron Brooksbank -RIP

I know that almost no-one will have heard of him but he really was a true hero and braver than most of us could ever hope to be.

If anyone is not watching the current BBC mine series, The Detectives, I strongly recommend that you do.

This young, 18 year old tree surgeon was viciously attacked with an axe by the son of the head of one of Greater Manchester’s biggest organised crime groups.

Despite threats on both his and his families life, he stood up in court and gave evidence against his attacker, not once, but twice. His courage and bravery shines through in the documentary.

Unfortunately, the mental torture he has suffered due to the attack took its toll on him and he took his own life on Monday (the day the first episode was aired) at the age of twenty five.

His legacy is being a major part in the bringing down of a major organised crime group, the majority of them now serving time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I know that almost no-one will have heard of him but he really was a true hero and braver than most of us could ever hope to be.

If anyone is not watching the current BBC mine series, The Detectives, I strongly recommend that you do.

This young, 18 year old tree surgeon was viciously attacked with an axe by the son of the head of one of Greater Manchester’s biggest organised crime groups.

Despite threats on both his and his families life, he stood up in court and gave evidence against his attacker, not once, but twice. His courage and bravery shines through in the documentary.

Unfortunately, the mental torture he has suffered due to the attack took its toll on him and he took his own life on Monday (the day the first episode was aired) at the age of twenty five.

His legacy is being a major part in the bringing down of a major organised crime group, the majority of them now serving time.
    I watched this last night and commented to a couple of mates that he was doing an incredibly brave thing. Hope the scum that are ultimately responsible rot.

Master
    Very sad. The changing face of Britain...

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Very sad. The changing face of Britain...
    It’s a side of life in the UK and probably many other countries that most of us here are fortunate enough to never see.

I spent nearly twenty years in and around Rochdale (left in 2006) and never saw anything like is shown here. That said, most of the areas shown were areas that I may have passed through but had no reason to stop.

We certainly wouldn’t have given a second’s thought as to where the money came from to pay for a spangly new Indian restaurant.

Master
    It’s a side of life in the UK and probably many other countries that most of us here are fortunate enough to never see.

I spent nearly twenty years in and around Rochdale (left in 2006) and never saw anything like is shown here. That said, most of the areas shown were areas that I may have passed through but had no reason to stop.

We certainly wouldn’t have given a second’s thought as to where the money came from to pay for a spangly new Indian restaurant.
    I lived in Rochdale in an area that was mainly lived in by southerners, it was nicknamed Southerners Corner and was posher than where I live now. However even back in my time (1973-1976) the town centre was rapidly going down hill and industries were leaving the place at a rapid rate. You could easily see the place becoming one big sink estate.

I have never gone back there so I don't have a clue what the place is like now.

I missed the series but after reading a google on Cameron, I will certainly look at it on catch up.

Cameron Brooksbank -RIP

Very few people who leave Rochdale ever go back, I haven’t been for over ten years.

Never heard of southerners corner though but I was there from 1987-2006; I lived in Littleborough for four years and the rest of the time in Bamford. The sink estates were there then, Kirkholt, Newbold and others but most areas were ok (relatively).

Even in Bamford, there was a fair amount of drug dealing going on and an increasing number of wealthy Asians buying up the bigger properties.

Master
    I could tell Rochdale was going down the plug when I attended a meeting with Cyril Smith who was the then Liberal MP for Rochdale. He created an image as a bit of a nice old man who was in love with Rochdale but nothing could be further from the truth.

He had a cosy relationship with an asbestos company called Newall and Turner and he was a spokesman for getting the company large contracts. His other obsession was slagging off other local politicians on things they did ten years earlier. In reality he didn't really give a damn. With a MP like him, the town never had a chance.

Cameron Brooksbank -RIP

Turner and Newall were a large multinational PLC which grew out of the Turner Brothers Asbestos wealth, I worked at the TBA site for four years. The company was in decline when I was there and the site is now housing I believe. They were a huge company for almost a century and created a lot of wealth for the town. No doubt Cyril Smith ended up with some of that cash too. I never met him but he always came across as a bit creepy and I believe he was a known associate of Jimmy Saville.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 1st November 2023 at 13:39.

He was a genuinely brave chap and I'm very saddened to hear this news.

RIP Cameron

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Also saw the Detectives last night and was sadenned to see what had become of him and how it was in effect a murder charge they should have received.

I am glad we have people like him and the Detectives who stand up to these people.

Grand Master
    I watched it last night and only realised seeing the credits.
    I never think the sentences are appropriate even tho its mentioned that sentences of several years have been given.

Lock these scum up forever.

Sadly plenty more just like them to carry on doing the same.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 2nd November 2023 at 12:45.

Master
    horrible story; there are some really horrible people around

RIP Cameron

I lived in South Manchester for five years, and violence was everywhere. I had a colleague who was a dainty little gay guy. He went out one evening with a female friend. She met a nice guy who said, we're going back to a house party in Hulme, do the two of you want to come along? When they got in the house, all the guys sat on the sofas had put their guns down on the coffee table. A friend of mine was walking through Whalley Range late one night and made the mistake of looking into the open boot of a car he was passing: it was full of guns. Another friend of mine a bit further south chased a guy out of his back garden; that guy called over his mates, one of whom stabbed my friend in the back, causing a punctured lung. When I got the bus to see him in Wythenshaw hospital there was a notice saying, bus number whatever is no longer going down so and so road because we've been attacked with stones too many times. When walking home from Trafford at one weekday afternoon down a footpath skirting a primary school, I was mugged with the promise of stabbing me if I didn't produce my wallet and phone. The policeman who took my statement: yeah, he would have. Five weeks later, I had an armed robbery in the shop I was working in. It may or may not have been a real gun, but it felt like one when it was pointed at my stomach. My housemate working in the Barlow Moor Road KFC had an attempted robbery by a teenager with a large kitchen knife. Her colleague next to her was having puppies, but though only 5'3" she was born and bred South Elmsall, so she just looked up, and told him to piss off, which, nonplussed, he did.

Master
    What a tragic story. I started EP1 last night. He was hesitant but vowed to be a witness. Poor guy. It all started from a minor road rage incident. Be careful out there folks! You never know who you’re confronting.

Grand Master
    Local knowledge has people knowing who these scroats are,so do those who have the power to deal with them.
    Corruption and fear keep them where they are,with the odd low ranking criminals getting locked up!,which has your very green member of the public think justice is and has been carried out.

The legal system "can't" do anything in most cases because those at the top distance themselves from the bottom feeding criminals who carry out the worst of criminal activity.
    When I hear of murders between crime gangs I just think a few less of them at no expense to the tax payer.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Local knowledge has people knowing who these scroats are,so do those who have the power to deal with them.
    Corruption and fear keep them where they are,with the odd low ranking criminals getting locked up!,which has your very green member of the public think justice is and has been carried out.

The legal system "can't" do anything in most cases because those at the top distance themselves from the bottom feeding criminals who carry out the worst of criminal activity.
    When I hear of murders between crime gangs I just think a few less of them at no expense to the tax payer.
    Only in this case, the victim wasn’t part of a gang, he was an innocent victim who stood up (twice) to help put the violent criminals behind bars in spite of the danger and intimidation faced by both him and his family.

It was partly because of his actions that the police were able to get to the top of this particular crime gang.

Grand Master
    Only in this case, the victim wasn’t part of a gang, he was an innocent victim who stood up (twice) to help put the violent criminals behind bars in spite of the danger and intimidation faced by both him and his family.

It was partly because of his actions that the police were able to get to the top of this particular crime gang.
    Yes Im aware this chap was absolutely not in a gang.
    I was just stating what I dont mind hearing when gangs get together and murder one another.
    I would guess too that this poor chap decided to end his life because of threats,but not something anyone could prove either.
    I only stumbled on this whilst channel hopping,I dont want to watch stuff like this for 2 reasons.
    1st Im angry at the low sentences given,and 2nd because when Im sat in my house I know the outside world has people like this,and probably closer to our homes that is nice to know,I dont want to see it.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 2nd November 2023 at 17:19.

RIP Cameron, you were brave and did your best. I hate scum like these. It's good they got decent sentences but the business is too big and too lucrative for it to die so the next in line will already be in place. The one hiding in Pakistan with the loot will be running it remotely.

The top man will pay his way to a comfortable life inside.

I watched series last night and was amazed that Cameron testified in open court. I'll openly admit that I don't think I'd have the courage to do that if I was in he's position.

RIP Cameron you were a remarkable young man.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    RIP Cameron, you were brave and did your best. I hate scum like these. It's good they got decent sentences but the business is too big and too lucrative for it to die so the next in line will already be in place. The one hiding in Pakistan with the loot will be running it remotely.

The top man will pay his way to a comfortable life inside.
    I don't think 9 years is a decent sentence,and the top Man got 2 plus years didn't He?.
    For me to be happy it would be locked up forever,at least send that message to all living in that world that it will come to a final & abrupt end to life as they know it.
    Might not stop it(it won't)but I'd be happy knowing some won't be on our streets ever again.

And a life in a prison will consist of a diet to have them at 8 stone with no gym to get bigger than the guys paid to watch over them,making it easier for the prison staff,rather than being confronted by musclebound thugs.