closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leakbot - home water leak detector - any experiences?

Leakbot - home water leak detector - any experiences?

Insurance company has offered us one of these as a means to try and put a brake on spiralling insurance costs.

Anyone out there have any real-world experience of having one fitted and in-use?

The only concern I have is any potential it may have to mis-read some aspect of normal use as a leak.

Otherwise seems a good thing to have all-told.

First I’ve heard of such a device- seems a good idea though, and if it is problematic just turn it off.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    First I’ve heard of such a device- seems a good idea though, and if it is problematic just turn it off.
    Same here, seems a smart idea.

Although a friend had a crack appear in their loft water tank whilst on holiday. Slow leak but enough to cause carnage after 2 weeks - wonder if it can deal with that vs a full on spouting leak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Although a friend had a crack appear in their loft water tank whilst on holiday. Slow leak but enough to cause carnage after 2 weeks - wonder if it can deal with that vs a full on spouting leak.

You would hope it’s programmed that a small amount of water being used for a prolonged period would throw up a fault

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Doubt it would work as it detects the leak in a rather round-about way (drop of temp due to cold water being drawn into house).

More direct sensors are availble (useful under washing machine, under tank etc) which are triggered by water across pair of contacts.

Benefit of one OP offered is that it (should) detect a large leak anywhere in house.

Craftsman
    I would say first port of call nowadays whilst looking for water loss is in the toilet bowl.
    It's always worth check the rim and laying some toilet paper at the back of the bowl and leaving it for a while to see if it gets wet.

I fitted one, (free from Yorkshire water), not had a text yet to say I have a leak and hopefully it stays that way!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Hiscox gave me one.

Bloody thing alerts to a leak at least once a week.

I know we have no leak because it accurately reads 0 use when we are away.

I just don’t think it understands that I work from home and my wife works 3 days (i.e. we have an ‘irregular’ routine that it can’t compute).
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Not sure I need something we have not needed for the last 40 odd years TBH.

Never had a leak in any of our properties, ever.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I had one off British Gas when I installed hive worked great up until they stopped supporting it.:(

Factors I used in Edinburgh had their own system. I've not looked at their system for years, but originally I think it was primarily for the most prolific leak areas - around your dishwasher/washing machine (the units which utilised flexible hoses - often ignored for years)

https://myreside-management.co.uk/wa...ak-protection/

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Hiscox gave me one.

I just don’t think it understands that I work from home and my wife works 3 days (i.e. we have an ‘irregular’ routine that it can’t compute).

We've got one with our insurer and you need to be careful whether they'll cover water damage if the Leakbot identified a leak and you didn't do anything to mitigate it.
    Check the small print on the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Hiscox gave me one.

This is precisely the scenario I'm concerned about!

I would guess from reading the various relevant responses that this is going to be a suck-it-and-see situation.

Thanks for your thoughts chaps

I can't see why you'd bother unless they insist on it. It sounds more like a get out clause than a customer protection device to me.

But congratulations on your status as a Covéa Insurance High Net Worth policyholder

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    ... But congratulations on your status as a Covéa Insurance High Net Worth policyholder

Yehhhrrright - insurance hyperoble - transl. "Moneypit that's worth considerably less than a cramped bedsit in Battersea."