closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Discovery 5 Owners

Craftsman

Discovery 5 Owners

So I have a feeling I know what the replies will be here with the car being a LR but I need some advice.

We are in the market for a new car, something along the lines of a Disco, Q7, XC90 etc.

Ideally we need a 7 seater, not essential but we live abroad and often have family visiting so having the option of the third row seating will make life a lot easier and we are confident if we do go down this route it will benefit everyone however I am also very temped by the S6 avant tdi if I want to be selfish (loved our B7 RS4!).

We have narrowed it down to a 2018/19 XC90 R-Design, which to be honest looks great and ticks all the boxes BUT its quite low in power, and does have the 'older' branding attached to the name, second a Q7 3.0 272 however we find the inside quite dated, coming from a 2016 A6 Avant S-Line its not much more modern, and lastly the Disco 5 3.0 258hp. Really nice looking car, inside feels modern BUT its a LR.

Reviews online are mixed, some people doing mega miles in them without an issue, other having multiple issues from day 1.
    Are there any members on here with one, if so how are you finding it?

The one we have seen looks great, loads of kit on it and a full LR history with a recent 1200EUR service from them. Its very similar to the XC90 in that it ticks all the boxes and I think it has a younger look to it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Two years ago we had a Q7 which my wife drove and that we’d had from new.

Changed it as become bored with Audi having been with the marque for many years - they all started to look and feel the same inside.

Bought an XC90 and she tried to liked it but wasn’t to be. Noisy suspension, lacked power of Q7 and seemed to have lag on acceleration.

Changed that for a Mercedes GLS which she loves. I have to say, so do I. Great car, very smooth and Comfie 7 seater and the rest.

In between times our son has bought a Disco 5 which is as Comfie and powerful as the Merc. Liking the Disco a lot I have to say.

Hope you get sorted!

Jim

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Two years ago we had a Q7 which my wife drove and that we’d had from new.

Changed it as become bored with Audi having been with the marque for many years - they all started to look and feel the same inside.

Bought an XC90 and she tried to liked it but wasn’t to be. Noisy suspension, lacked power of Q7 and seemed to have lag on acceleration.

Changed that for a Mercedes GLS which she loves. I have to say, so do I. Great car, very smooth and Comfie 7 seater and the rest.

In between times our son has bought a Disco 5 which is as Comfie and powerful as the Merc. Liking the Disco a lot I have to say.

Hope you get sorted!

Jim

Thanks!

I have had Audis for the last 5 years!

My next move was an SQ7 but looking inside it just feels the same as my A6 to be honest, unless we go for a 2020+ with the digital dash etc but then your paying top money.

The Volvo looks great but most reviews do mention it lacks power and just feels sluggish which isn't for me.

The Disco we like (pics attached) is kitted out, has that bit more power and looks ideal, I just have the worry about reliability as do we often do long journeys. The Audi's have been faultless and I like that security so stepping in to a LR could go either way by the looks of it...

Do your research regarding the 3.0 ltr TDV6 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Crank made of cheese ??

Craftsman
    These are the same as in the RR Sport? Cam shaft failure etc?

Is there a 'better' engine to go for on the Disco 5, 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Crank made of cheese ??
    Cream at that

Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    These are the same as in the RR Sport? Cam shaft failure etc?

Is there a 'better' engine to go for on the Disco 5, 2.0?
    Crank failures yes. Jury is out currently on the other engines however the 2.0 seem to be suffering more from DPF issues. In general i despise the ingenium engines

Craftsman
    Crank failures yes. Jury is out currently on the other engines however the 2.0 seem to be suffering more from DPF issues. In general i despise the ingenium engines
    The best option would be to get a LR warranty on the car if possible then, its a one owner car which has a full LR history so perhaps they can offer it as a third party service?

The best option would be to get a LR warranty on the car if possible then, its a one owner car which has a full LR history so perhaps they can offer it as a third party service?
    Perhaps, doesn’t harm in asking. Before doing the deal check with the warranty company that engine replacement is covered in the event of failure of the crank. Many are capped. Some have hefty excesses, some don’t pay full labour rates, also worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Could you budget stretch to the straight 6 Ingenium diesel introduced at 19MY? If so they are much better than the old TDV6 and are 300 horsepower

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Could you budget stretch to the straight 6 Ingenium diesel introduced at 19MY? If so they are much better than the old TDV6 and are 300 horsepower
    Possibly yes, it might lower spec or slightly higher miles but are these engines/MY19 more reliable and worth the extra?

Perhaps, doesn’t harm in asking. Before doing the deal check with the warranty company that engine replacement is covered in the event of failure of the crank. Many are capped. Some have hefty excesses, some don’t pay full labour rates, also worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Am I right in thinking you have a LR repair business?
    If so I’d suggest the OP takes your advice ahead of other comments here!

Master
    Is there not a big security issue with LR at the moment? Maybe the Disco 5 is not at risk.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Is there not a big security issue with LR at the moment? Maybe the Disco 5 is not at risk.
    Range Rovers are getting stolen left, right and centre. So much so some insurance companies now refuse to insure them or you pay a massive premium.

Not sure if the Disco has the same system (presume so?) but I imagine the RR is in higher demand.

Plus where I live there doesn't seem to be much demand for anything LR to be honest

I’m genuinely confused why people still buy LR’s. Woeful/the worst reliability of any car brand, with so many major issues. I’m guessing it’s the brand image that people buy into? I can’t think of another brand where the product reputation is so far at odds with the image?

Toyota makes 5 models with 3 row seating, but dealers don't carry any SUV models. Very odd

However. You still sell the Yaris model which was pulled from NA

Craftsman
    Possibly yes, it might lower spec or slightly higher miles but are these engines/MY19 more reliable and worth the extra?
    Yes they are worth it

More reliable
    Better fuel economy
    More power

The TDV6 is an old engine design - the Ingenium was a ground up design launched 5 years ago and still in production today

Discovery is a great car, I stupidly got rid of mine as I bought a flat for work and released some money for renovation works.
    I had the HSE Luxury, tv’s in the back for the kids, comfortable drive for distances.
    Could get 3 sets of golf clubs and trolleys in the back no bother as well 😀
    Servicing etc isn’t the cheapest but it is what it is.

If it was me I'd go with a late Disco 4 with all the bells and whistles.

You'll gamble on reliability, sure, but any second hand car can easily become a second hand problem.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    If it was me I'd go with a late Disco 4 with all the bells and whistles.

You'll gamble on reliability, sure, but any second hand car can easily become a second hand problem.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk
    Not if you've got to put a £15k engine in it. You are spot on of course, a late top spec D4 is one hell of a car its just that bloody engine.

Went through the same process, even to placing a deposit on a Q7, then a GLE,(cancelled both following test drives) but nothing comes close to the X5 in my opinion. Its the best car I've ever owned bar none. I have a very high spec 45e which does elevate it substantially (leather dash, alcantara, every pack, B&W etc) but they are just great cars.

If you go 40i or 30d you can get 7 seats too.

Master
    You can of course get a XC90 with different engine options. 99% of them here are hybrid with 400hp or more and they are not slow at all.

My pick would also be a X5 though.

Journeyman

LR

I purchased a 4yr old Disco 4 a couple of years ago from a non LR dealer. Had around 50k miles on it. Picked it up, and drove it straight to a LR dealer, who inspected it( very briefly), which than allowed me to buy a full Land Rover approved Warranty. Cost around £1000 a year, but was certainly worth it for piece of mind. Had the warranty right up until it got to 100K miles, when it is no longer possible to take the same warranty ( Land Rover Select Warranty)

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Went through the same process, even to placing a deposit on a Q7, then a GLE,(cancelled both following test drives) but nothing comes close to the X5 in my opinion. Its the best car I've ever owned bar none. I have a very high spec 45e which does elevate it substantially (leather dash, alcantara, every pack, B&W etc) but they are just great cars.

If you go 40i or 30d you can get 7 seats too.
    100% - on our 3rd X5 (40d) and it has 7 seats plus lots of other 'stuff'.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    You can of course get a XC90 with different engine options. 99% of them here are hybrid with 400hp or more and they are not slow at all.

My pick would also be a X5 though.
    Typo' error, what you meant to say was...MX5, of course