closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Auto v manual

Master

Auto v manual

I don’t know much about the innards of watches and tend to go on looks but is one mechanism more reliable long term or is implementation the main factor?

depends on build quality and design

The ETA / Unitas hand wind mechanisms appear to be very robust, with good long term time keeping.
    The ETA autos not so good.

I bought a vintage gold plate Precista pocket watch from the 1970s or 80s - I never knew it's actual age, but there was definitely no service history.
    The time keeping and reliability was faultless with the original Unitas movement.
    The PRS20 Italian full lume is the same. It has a similar movement and runs faultlessly 14-years since manufacture in 2010 - no problem

The 2x auto ETA mechanisms I have both needed a service well before reaching 10-years old.

Much less to go wrong with a manual wind, I like them a lot

Autos were only designed to keep the mainspring fully wound and hence improve accuracy.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I like a manual. You become more involved with your watch.

I don’t really have a preference for one over the other. I am slightly uncomfortable at the notion of a manual wind with a screw down crown, though.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I don’t really have a preference for one over the other. I am slightly uncomfortable at the notion of a manual wind with a screw down crown, though.
    Me too, although the favourite of my Panerai watches is the 210, with exactly this historical but suspect combination.

Automatic, manual, HAQ, ordinary quartz, I enjoy all of them.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Me too, although the favourite of my Panerai watches is the 210, with exactly this historical but suspect combination.

Automatic, manual, HAQ, ordinary quartz, I enjoy all of them.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My 512 is the same. Still an amazing watch, though, and I guess if you rotate your watches then it’s not as much of an issue.

Blog Entries
    I think any mechanical (watch) are reliable if it is serviced when needed. I have some hi end (=expensive) pieces. I don’t find them any more reliable than more mundane pieces from 2nd tier brands.

I tend to have a preference for automatics with screw down crown as I spend a bit of time each day in water. Nevertheless I do own others that don’t have screwdown crowns and less wrt so I just take them off before the dip in the pool.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd October 2023 at 16:23.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    I'm probably a bit tired and thought I was reading about car transmissions, started saying PDK...

On watches I like my manual Speedmaster, it's a nice feeling winding it every day. Though I sometimes forget and will look funny in two days with my watch stopped. Generally prefer auto for everyday watches.