closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Friday Watches - August 2023

Master

Friday Watches - August 2023

August, the month previously known as Sextilis (snigger) but renamed after the first Roman Emperor Caesar Augustus. Born in September 63BC and died in AD 14 his reign lasted 41 years and he went by as many different names as Corinne Stockheath (lets hope that is their only similarity). He (Augustus) seemed to have spent most of his early years battling other eminent Romans, firstly the assassins of his adoptive father Julius, and then his allies in those battles. Once he had settled those differences he oversaw the illusion of democracy by returning governmental power to the Senate while at the same time having the Senate grant him lifetime tenure as Commander-in-Chief, Tribune and Censor therefore consolidating power over pretty much all walks of life (including morality) in his grubby mits. Once he'd sorted that he went on to expand the Roman Empire by, amongst other things, completing Rome's conquest of Spain, annexing Egypt and setting up a string of buffer states to protect his borders. Playing on his humble birth (he was a Pleb after all) he was able to count on the support of the masses when it looked like the "Elite" Senate were trying to wrest away some of his powers. So much so that a food shortage in 22 BC saw the urban Plebs riot demanding Augustus be granted dictatorial powers to resolve the crisis (which he did almost instantly. Co-incidence? Hmmm).

That is what he did for himself but, to deliberately mis-quote Reg, "what did he ever do for the Romans?" Well he developed road networks, established a standing army, founded an official courier system as well as a police force and fire brigade for Rome.

OK, history lesson over, what has this got to do with watches I hear you cry? Nothing. But if this story of greed, vengeance, back stabbing, power grabs, land grabs and popularism tells us anything at all it is that politics really hasn't changed much over the millennia.

I'd better get on with the main event before I suffer my own popular uprising. Well August wasn't all fun and games or perhpas it was and that was why we didn't post many watches. In fact the joint fewest number (483) were posted and we also slumped to another low. The fewest brands ever posted by us in a month of Fridays was 107 (October 2022). It is now 92. At least our diversity (0.190) wasn't a record low, well it was for the year but not for all time.

Lets move swiftly on to the seething mass of barely disguised contempt that makes the Roman Senate appear like a Benedictine refectory. Yes I refer to the perpetual battle for the top of the table. To be fair it is as if the the new regime is settling in. Seiko took the top spot for all four weeks with Rolex trailing, and sometimes limping, behind in second place. It is only when you get to the lower echelons does the battle for scraps become less dignified. Omega held on to third place on the Fourth but promptly lost it to Panerai on the eleventh who then lost that to Timefactors on the eighteenth. On the twenty fifth third place was shared between Omega and Panerai. All of this has lead to a rather new look table.

These low numbers saw an new all time low for Omega (thirty one), a new low for the year for Rolex (forty nine) but enough of the high falutin' Patricians what about the lower orders? What happened amongst the Plebians? As ever, scratch the surface and you will find a thriving sub-culture. The single Nomos worn this month meant that August was its worst of the year. Likewise for Hamilton with four and even this years darling, Christopher Ward, slumped to a low of four. Before I get too gloomy there were some positives. Zenith, who have been keeping their heads down this year, had their best week of the year with five watches worn on the twenty fifth. Anonimo had their best ever month with five and Glycine scored a new all time high of six. Even Casio achieved their best month of the year with five.

Right, onwards to the brands. Yes it was a disappointing month, we dropped below the one hundred barrier for the first time with only ninety two represented. For the first time since I started recording there ware no brands making their first appearance on the Friday thread. Although disappointing I am not surprised. Over the last four years 625 brands have graced the Friday threads so some slow down has to be expected. Nine of those 625 made their first appearance this year. These included Aerowatch, Kurono Tokyo, OceanX and Szanto.

One of my more coveted watches kicks off the summary of notable watches: Griswolds Seiko SDGA001. Others include sparamar1's minimalist Fortis Stratoliner and I also quite liked dustybottom's baby blue G-shock and there was also Snowman's Vintage Seamaster with yellow chapter ring (I don't know the reference).

Anyway, enough of that I need to prepare for a rugby match. Here is the proof that, for the first time ever, there is a two month streak where Rolex have not topped the tables.

1 Seiko 63
    2 Rolex 49
    3 Panerai 32
    4 Timefactors 31
    5 Omega 31
    6 Tudor 16
    7 Sinn 16
    8 IWC 15
    9 G Shock 15
    10 Grand Seiko 13
    11 CWC 13
    12 Damasko 10
    13 Zenith 8
    14 Longines 7
    15 Heuer 7
    16 Breitling 7
    17 Tag Heuer 6
    18 Glycine 6
    19 Glaschutte Original 6
    20 Garmin 5
    21 Certina 5
    22 Casio 5
    23 Audemars Piguet 5
    24 Anonimo 5
    25 Yema 4
    26 Universal Geneve 4
    27 KMK 4
    28 Hamilton 4
    29 Christopher Ward 4
    30 Tissot 3
    31 Patek Philippe 3
    32 Pagani Design 3
    33 Jaeger-LeCoultre 3
    34 Farer 3
    35 Bulova 3
    36 Boldr 3
    37 Smiths 2
    38 Oris 2
    39 Orient 2
    40 Fortis 2
    41 Bell & Ross 2
    42 Bedat + Co. 2
    43 Baume et Mercier 2
    44 Apple 2
    45 Airain 2
    46 Aerowatch 2
    47 ZRC 1
    48 Zodiac 1
    49 West End Watch Co 1
    50 Vostok 1
    51 Vacheron Constantin 1
    52 Traser 1
    53 Szanto 1
    54 Swatch 1
    55 Seagull 1
    56 Scubapro 1
    57 San Martin 1
    58 Rotary 1
    59 Porsche Design 1
    60 Pequignet 1
    61 Oceanx 1
    62 NTH 1
    63 Nomos 1
    64 Nodus 1
    65 Muhle 1
    66 Moser 1
    67 Montblanc 1
    68 Marathon 1
    69 Mappin and Webb 1
    70 Lorier 1
    71 Linde Werdelin 1
    72 Leonidas 1
    73 Le Forban 1
    74 Laco 1
    75 Kurono Tokyo 1
    76 Incipio 1
    77 Helson 1
    78 Helm 1
    79 Heimdallr 1
    80 Formex 1
    81 Dunhill 1
    82 Doxa (modern) 1
    83 Citizen 1
    84 Chronoswiss 1
    85 Cartier 1
    86 Buran 1
    87 Breil 1
    88 Blancpain 1
    89 Beuchat 1
    90 Aquastar 1
    91 Android 1
    92 Alba 1

Entertaining and informative: we are not worthy!

Who would have thought TZ could be educational?
    Thanks for the entertaining read and for collating the stats.

Appreciated as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I enjoyed that. Thanks.

Thanks Wimm for the as-always entertaining, and ever more informative than usual, monthly summary for Augustus MMXXIII. I appreciate your time and excellent efforts.

P.S. Staying on topic, it could be argued that your username is actually (with a little flexibility) "1989" (VVIMM)...

Excellent summary and entertaining riffing on August too.

Your literary talents are surely wasted here, but much appreciated nonetheless.

History and watches, perfect mix for me! Thanks as always Wimm.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thoroughly enjoyed that, as always. Thanks for taking the time

Master
    thanks Wimm,a great read as always.

Another great read Will, loads of interesting detail. Thanks for the kind words about my SDGA001 and for taking the time each month to compile this.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    ...and he built the citie Neopolis after the battle of Actium?